Entering a “gun free zone” to stop or intervene during an active crime

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Entering a “gun free zone” to stop or intervene during an active crime

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Do the right thing always. The sanctity of human life is what matters here IMHO.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I suspect that a person who would/could stand by and watch an innocent person be assaulted or killed would do so whether or not the attack was in an illusory "gun free zone." If I will risk my lift to save someone else, including strangers, then I'm not going to worry about any "no guns" sign.

I was a COP for 10 years and I've been an attorney for over 30 years. Based on that experience, I cannot imagine any LEO making a UCW arrest or a DA accepting such charges when a person lawfully comes to the aid of another person. This is especially true when you are on the evening news with "HERO" running on the ticker tape.

Chas.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Grundy1133 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:
BBYC wrote:You can but you should respect their wishes and not help.
:iagree:
I don't.
Chas.
Which?
Respect their wishes or help?
The statement was "You can but you should respect their wishes and not help." Grundy1133's response was to agree with the statement, while mine was not to agree.

Chas.
mine was more comedic... if i saw an active crime id probably intervene.
NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

I am not an attorney but I have sat on a jury and unless you have had that wonderful experience yourself you have no way to fathom why a DA prosecutes a case that I would have thought would not be prosecuted and believe me, juries don't always come to logical conclusions. Don't assume that you will not have legal consequences even if you are a hero. Do what you think is right though but be prepared...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

rotor wrote:I am not an attorney but I have sat on a jury and unless you have had that wonderful experience yourself you have no way to fathom why a DA prosecutes a case that I would have thought would not be prosecuted and believe me, juries don't always come to logical conclusions. Don't assume that you will not have legal consequences even if you are a hero. Do what you think is right though but be prepared...
I can't count the number of cases I've tried or the number of jurors I've talked to after the trial was over. Telling me about juries is like telling Noah about the flood.

I've also served on juries, but that was before I became a COP or an attorney. How many criminal juries have you been on?

I'm not assuming anything about legal consequences. I'm simply saying that life is precious and I will do everything in my power to protect the innocent. You choose your course but don't try to dissuade me from mine.

Chas.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

I have a LTC to protect me and mine. If in the course of protecting me and mine I can assist you and yours, I will. As someone said above, a LTC is not a LEO.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
rotor wrote:I am not an attorney but I have sat on a jury and unless you have had that wonderful experience yourself you have no way to fathom why a DA prosecutes a case that I would have thought would not be prosecuted and believe me, juries don't always come to logical conclusions. Don't assume that you will not have legal consequences even if you are a hero. Do what you think is right though but be prepared...
I can't count the number of cases I've tried or the number of jurors I've talked to after the trial was over. Telling me about juries is like telling Noah about the flood.

I've also served on juries, but that was before I became a COP or an attorney. How many criminal juries have you been on?

I'm not assuming anything about legal consequences. I'm simply saying that life is precious and I will do everything in my power to protect the innocent. You choose your course but don't try to dissuade me from mine.

Chas.
Been on one criminal jury but I have had the misfortune to have been sued twice, once in both a local and federal courts (not criminal cases). I won my cases but being sued really messes up your life especially when you know that you did nothing wrong and there you are sitting in court after years of waiting and depositions. The system is not a trial of your peers. The jury is not allowed to hear facts that the average person would think they should be told, like the plaintiff has just lost a similar case against another party, etc. In the Federal case the judge must have been in his late 70's and literally slept a good portion of the time. Formal books that I purchased to prove my points were evidence and although quite expensive were never returned to me. I guess they go in with the Lost Ark. The Federal case had the jury go over the weekend. The jurors were not sequestered but a friend called me after the case to congratulate me. He was also a friend of a juror and knew the verdict before I did. Not quite like Perry Mason. When you are innocent of any wrong doing and you go through the years of misery trying to prove yourself innocent you really don't want any further involvement in the system. Thank God my case was not a criminal case. These experiences definitely influence one forever and once burned (twice in my case), you know the rest.

In addition, I did not try to dissuade you from doing anything. I said, "do what you think is right".

Topic author
tking3444
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tking3444 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess it just becomes a decision you make in the "heat of the moment". Here's to hoping that none of us are ever in that situation.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Grundy1133 »

tking3444 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I guess it just becomes a decision you make in the "heat of the moment". Here's to hoping that none of us are ever in that situation.
:cheers2:
NRA Member

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TreyHouston »

I was always taught that IF you step in, make 100% sure you are seeing what you think you are seeing. Many good guys can get shot or killed by the situation being misunderstood. :shock:
There are some stories, im sure you all have heard them. But like I tell people, if im at the grocery store and the he teller is getting robbed, I would take cover and monitor the situation. Robber turns his gun to customers- that a different story.
I try to help, NOT make the situation worse!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

cirus

Post by cirus »

The law is in favor of the criminal. I know we need lawyers and if your in trouble it's sure nice to have one but it's all about money. A lawyer will represent a cold blooded murderer and try to get him off or try to convict an innocent person all for money. I've never understood how you could do that and sleep at night. I know everyone's intitled to legal counsel and that's what makes this country great but I have no faith in the legal system. Money talks and thats sad. Would I go in and use my weapon? Probably so.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

mojo84 wrote:there may be people at risk that had nothing to do with the decision to post 30.06 or 30.07 signs.
"she who goes unarmed in Paradise should first make sure that's where she is" - Thurber
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

All depends on the situation/location.
School, yes I’m going in.
Church, yes I’m going in,
Bar, most likely not going in.
Other posted businesses, just depends on the situation.
I have no desire to be a hero or a victim, but some things are worth risking your life for, innocent children definitely fall into that category.

Just watched the video of the officer in Florida standing outside the school, listened to his radio traffic.
The words I want to use can’t be posted.
Needed Gen. George S. Patton to motivate that officer.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

PriestTheRunner

Post by PriestTheRunner »

flowrie wrote:Just watched the video of the officer in Florida standing outside the school, listened to his radio traffic.
The words I want to use can’t be posted.
Got a link for that?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 6

Post by mojo84 »

This fella was only worried about just me and mine and going home at night was what was most important to him.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/15/br ... video.html

I don't think much of him.
Last edited by mojo84 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”