How to handle improperly posted 51% signs, a question of etiquette.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SigM4
Posts in topic: 3

How to handle improperly posted 51% signs, a question of etiquette.

Post by SigM4 »

Just got back from lunch at an establishment near my office. When I pulled up, and while waiting for others to arrive, I noticed that they had a red 51% sign posted in the front windows. Having time to kill I opened the TABC app to check on the validity of it. Turns out the location isn't 51% (this is a chain in the western half of the DFW metroplex, some of their locations are, others aren't).

Anyhow, had lunch with a friend and as we were getting ready to leave the manager-on-duty stopped by to apologize for our order taking so long to come out. I took the opportunity to question her on the validity of the sign and asked why it had been posted. She rattled off that "all their locations are 51%". To this, I replied that actually no, some aren't, and in fact this location was not, so that sign was not to be posted. She quickly asked "Is this about guns?", to which I noted that no, it was about improper signage. She then asked me if "this was something you do often" and I informed her that only when I noticed the wrong sign.

I realize now that the manager-on-duty probably knows very little about the 51% requirement and even the GM might not know much beyond what corporate tells them. However, based on her response and immediate defensiveness I realize that she either knows or even more telling knows that it's been done on purpose. In either case, I went ahead and submitted a comment to the TABC on the improper sign.

So here's my question, I'm very firmly in the camp of "don't poke the bear" when we see improper/wrong 30.06 and other "No guns" signs and have been since getting my license years ago. Why draw attention to the (non)issue and just carry on. What about 51% signs? Up until now I've only reported them to the TABC and have had great success as the TABC agents seem to have a very sincere interest in seeing the proper signage posted. Today it was just an opportunity to discuss it with someone seemingly in charge at the location.

Thoughts?

P.S. - Already submitted the location to http://www.Texas3006.com. I also realize that this may lead them to posting 30.06/30.07 if (when) they have to take down the 51%. However, this is in a location that much of the clientele is very conservative, so I'm guessing this was a strategic decision so as to not to have to post it and drive away any potential customers. Either way the net effect is the same, be it 51% or 30.06.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to handle improperly posted 51% signs, a question of etiquette.

Post by bblhd672 »

My $0.02 since the manager on duty immediately asked about guns, it sounds like the establishment is trying to get around posting 30.06/.07 signs which may affect their business.
I would pursue TABC action on locations improperly posting the wrong sign. Regardless of whether or not it is deliberate they should have the proper signs posted.

I just downloaded the TABC app, will have to check places when I see red sign. Not that I go to establishments anymore that are primarily bars. None of the places the wife and I frequent show as requiring red 51% sign.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

bblhd672 wrote:My $0.02 since the manager on duty immediately asked about guns, it sounds like the establishment is trying to get around posting 30.06/.07 signs which may affect their business.
I would pursue TABC action on locations improperly posting the wrong sign. Regardless of whether or not it is deliberate they should have the proper signs posted.

I just downloaded the TABC app, will have to check places when I see red sign. Not that I go to establishments anymore that are primarily bars. None of the places the wife and I frequent show as requiring red 51% sign.
That was my thought as well.

The beauty of the TABC app, you can submit a complaint/comment directly from the link, even include a picture. It's very slick, almost as slick as the Texas3006.com app. ;-)

rotor

Post by rotor »

This is very interesting since I go to a local restaurant in town that has two locations. One is posted with TABC and the other (where we go) is not posted at all and both serve alcohol. I have searched for signs at the one we go to and have checked the website as well and I don't know how they serve alcohol without posting but they do, perhaps thinking that their main location covers it. Not my business and I think the whole 51% thing is stupid anyhow. I did not bring it up with them and I carry.
The other issue which is what you addressed is posting 51% when it should have a blue sign. I would report them to TABC but I would not discuss it with them at all. I also would not carry with a 51% sign present even if it were in error. Try to fight that one. Wow.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for the tip about the TABC app. I didn't know about it until now and it's should be very helpful.

As for incorrectly posted 51% signs, I suspect it's usually a mistake, but not always. I would just report it to TABC and not raise the issue there in case it was intentional.

Chas.

ELB

Post by ELB »

That app is interesting.

But I've discovered that the little dive bar near where I live must have gone out of business very recently, since they don't appear in the app, or there's an error. I'll swear I saw the signs for the bar flashing last night on my way home. Hmmm.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

ELB wrote:That app is interesting.

But I've discovered that the little dive bar near where I live must have gone out of business very recently, since they don't appear in the app, or there's an error. I'll swear I saw the signs for the bar flashing last night on my way home. Hmmm.
I've noticed a few places missing from the map. However, if you do a search by name they'll usually pop up, not sure what the issue is.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

In my limited experience, the folks that work at these locations have little to no clue what the signs mean and when they are or not required. They usually get a directive from corporate and just do what they are told. I would just notify TABC and let them handle it as they seem to be extremely responsive.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

RE: TABC app

FYI --
By default, it shows all locations with a liquor license. There is an option in settings to only show 51% locations. For me, more useful that way.

:thumbs2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

skeathley wrote:RE: TABC app

FYI --
By default, it shows all locations with a liquor license. There is an option in settings to only show 51% locations. For me, more useful that way.

:thumbs2:
Nice tip! Thank you.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

If a TABC licensed business posts the wrong signs, I report the violation to TABC and let them handle it.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I wonder what she would have done if someone asked to see her liquor license and then pointed out to her what it meant where it said "blue."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I've used the TABC app to post improper signage several times, and all cases I have received personal emails from TABC investigators asking for more information and reporting back that the issue has been resolved. They are very responsive.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Kkpsiknl

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I agree, thanks for the heads up on the TABC app. I just ran into this issue a few days ago. When I go back next I’ll take a picture and report it.

seph

Post by seph »

I have reported several business for posting the wrong sign using the TABC app. I never received any responses from TABC staff, but the 51% signs were removed and correct signs posted. :clapping:
Let's go Brandon! "rlol"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”