Eligibility for CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Eligibility for CHL

Post by Odinvalknir »

I'm sure this question has been asked many times under many different person-to-person cases. In fact it was Googling this question that brought me to this forum. I am looking to go get my CHL here pretty soon but I was convicted of a non-violent class A misdemeanor about 9 or 10 years ago. I know the rule is pretty straightforward and says you are not eligible for 5 years after the conviction. I just wanted to hear or in this case read somebody else tell me for sure that a conviction that long ago with nothing between then and now won't disqualify me. As the conviction was not for a domestic violence or any kind of violent crime.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Eligibility for CHL

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Odinvalknir wrote:I'm sure this question has been asked many times under many different person-to-person cases. In fact it was Googling this question that brought me to this forum. I am looking to go get my CHL here pretty soon but I was convicted of a non-violent class A misdemeanor about 9 or 10 years ago. I know the rule is pretty straightforward and says you are not eligible for 5 years after the conviction. I just wanted to hear or in this case read somebody else tell me for sure that a conviction that long ago with nothing between then and now won't disqualify me. As the conviction was not for a domestic violence or any kind of violent crime.
Class A convictions that are not domestic violence convictions disqualify you for five years. If you have no other disqualifying factors, then you should be fine.

Chas.

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Eligibility for CHL

Post by Odinvalknir »

Great. Thanks for your response, I'm sure this question has been asked over and over again but for some reason I wasn't getting a clear answer to my personal issue. Made a stupid mistake 10 years ago and have been paying for it in one way or another either with jobs or disqualifying for one thing or another. And now that I'm looking to get my CHL I wanted to ensure all would be well. Again thanks a lot for your response.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”