Campus Carry and Printing

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
satxremodel
Posts in topic: 1

Campus Carry and Printing

Post by satxremodel »

I understand that some are less concerned about printing while concealed carrying. I tend to be in this group and it makes total sense to me, because others around you may not notice or may think cell phone carrier or medical device. Obviously I would not advocate form fitting clothing where the printing is blatantly obvious.

With that being said, what about campus carry and minor printing, since open carry on campuses is illegal?

Let's say you are carrying a medium sized gun (think G19 or Sig P229) and it is carried IWB. Sometimes these print a little, depending on movement or carry location. Is there any concern for printing in this situation (college campus, legal to conceal carry and no 30.06 sign posted)?

surferdaddy

Re: Campus Carry and Printing

Post by surferdaddy »

I attend classes at the University of Texas Arlington. Yes, I have a responsibility to remain concealed on campus. I am constantly surrounded by “sensitive” people and I will not give them opportunity to wonder if I have a gun.

I would rather carry my MK25 or one of my Glocks; however, on school days I pack my sig p938 because it is the maximum size and caliber that I can carry and remain COMPLETELY concealed. In the pocket; the p938 is a wallet if anything at all. It prints far less than my iPhone in my other pocket.

I would say that under normal circumstances carry what ever you can adequately conceal if concealment is a priority to you. But on campus you may want to downsize to a deep concealment piece. Just my opinion but we do not want to be test cases of being “made” on campus.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This is an issue for more than just campus carry. There are times when there is no valid 30.06 sign, but we would still prefer to not have others know we have a gun. This is especially true when I am with my wife since she doesn't want me to "make a scene". My go-to deep concealment gun is also a P938. It is the best that I have found for the combination of size, caliber, capacity, reliability, and accuracy. And believe me, I have tried most everything out there.

I carry one of the following, depending largely on how important concealment is to me (from least important to most important):

Full size 1911
CCO 1911
CZ Compact
CZ RAMI
Walther PPS
J frame revolver
Sig P938
Kel-Tec P3AT
NAA derringer
One of those knives that fold up into a credit card in my wallet

I try not to get lower than the P938 on this list.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I have found that people, even on campus, pay little to no attention to their surroundings.

That being said, I try to follow the old school definition of concealed when on campus. No printing at all, but I know there’s a bulge in my belt. 99% of people don’t notice it, and those that do are probably like minded with those of us on this board.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

For me, I prefer that nobody else know. I use a Sig P232 with a Galco IWB and it's undetectable with a loose fitting shirt. I'm a thin guy, so the big boy Hawaiian tent of concealment didn't work for me. My favorite concealment shirt is a Columbia PFG long sleeve. Cabela's unloads them for $20 each periodically, they are comfy and wash easily.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Back when they were implementing SB11 in College Station, the head of UPD stated a pretty reasonable attitude about printing, i.e., if it's not intentional, then he didn't consider it a big deal.

Nevertheless, I would consider it a big deal from a professional/reputation standpoint. It's a risk I am unwilling to take. That is one reason I prefer deeper concealment like the 3" SP101 in a belly band. I can access it discretely through a partially un-buttoned dress shirt covered by my tie. NY and NJ reloads are in Galco ankle gloves, shielded by cowboy boots. And a "Rhode Island reload" mouse gun is in my front pocket. All very comfortable and easy as long as I'm mostly sitting/walking in air conditioning.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Back when they were implementing SB11 in College Station, the head of UPD stated a pretty reasonable attitude about printing, i.e., if it's not intentional, then he didn't consider it a big deal.

Nevertheless, I would consider it a big deal from a professional/reputation standpoint. It's a risk I am unwilling to take. That is one reason I prefer deeper concealment like the 3" SP101 in a belly band. I can access it discretely through a partially un-buttoned dress shirt covered by my tie. NY and NJ reloads are in Galco ankle gloves, shielded by cowboy boots. And a "Rhode Island reload" mouse gun is in my front pocket. All very comfortable and easy as long as I'm mostly sitting/walking in air conditioning.
Same thing here. I would describe it as a concern about retaliation. Not that faculty or administration would openly do anything that could be tied to you having a gun, but there is a possibility of becoming somebody they would rather not have around, and lead to subtle little unpleasant behaviors.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Boxerrider wrote:
Same thing here. I would describe it as a concern about retaliation. Not that faculty or administration would openly do anything that could be tied to you having a gun, but there is a possibility of becoming somebody they would rather not have around, and lead to subtle little unpleasant behaviors.
Sometimes, it is not very subtle. I have a couple of good friends who teach in higher education. One has her LTC. They are very concerned about bringing any of their personal values forward (they are Conservatives) because of the militancy among their teaching peers and even among their students. With smart phones everywhere, it would be easy to be on the evening news and to lose their jobs as a result. It is sad commentary on our freedom of speech, especially from those who advocate "tolerance."
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

apostate

Post by apostate »

As an alumnus or community member attending an on campus event (not sporting, not posted) I wouldn't have any particular concern about printing.

If concealed carry was legal when I was in grad school, I wouldn't have been particularly concerned either. However, that was an MBA program so I didn't have to worry about the personal opinions of a dissertation committee.

If I was faculty, I would take extra care to avoid printing, for the reasons stated already. Working for a private company with antigun policies, I also take care not to print, even though I haven't received 30.06 notice and thus I'm legal to carry. I'm willing to lose my job if I have to defend myself, but no sense taunting the octopus.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”