Best Buy store oopsie

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Best Buy store oopsie

Post by Greybeard »

Semi-disabled USMC member was at the range earlier this week, wearing a Glock 19 and extra mags in a black belly band. He is a rather big guy and the oversized t-shirt he was wearing had a rather obvious odd shaped protrusion at around 2:00, somewhat above his waistline. I made the snarky remark that maybe the open carry law was a good thing for him as what I was seeing was rather "readily discernible". Another buddy said "Heck, it could be a medical device." Our Uncle Sam's Misguided Child concluded that he liked carrying his Sig 938 much better and that it printed much less, but that he could not shoot it as well as the Glock, so he generally carried the Glock.

Well, I got a text message today from him that he got accused of attempted shoplifting by a Best Buy employee. At some point in the incident, he evidently raised his shirt to show the employee his set up and got a "Sorry, sir. Have a nice day."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

oohrah

Re: Best Buy store oopsie

Post by oohrah »

:clapping:
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grundy1133 »

if someone ever accuses me of shoplifting due to printing, id do the same. just raise my shirt and keep on truckin lol.
NRA Member

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This would be interesting if they had a 30.07 sign posted. In that case, I don't know that you could legally raise your shirt even if asked.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

What'd happen if I wear my Glock hat inside the store?

Brace me and the likely hood of the employees will be first to be sued, then B.B.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:This would be interesting if they had a 30.07 sign posted. In that case, I don't know that you could legally raise your shirt even if asked.
No. If you were being stopped by store asset protection, then showing them that it's not a stolen item is basically under their request. They are the ones posting the 30.07, and they could not have you arrested for openly carrying if they request to see what it is you have under your shirt.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I guess if store asset protection accused me of shop lifting, just before I proved to them I wasn't, I could ask them which department they thought it was that I lifted "this" from because I'd like to go check out their pricing and see if they've got any good deals going on.

Maybe the appliance department.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

C-dub wrote:I guess if store asset protection accused me of shop lifting, just before I proved to them I wasn't, I could ask them which department they thought it was that I lifted "this" from because I'd like to go check out their pricing and see if they've got any good deals going on.

Maybe the appliance department.
It'd probably be with the other "high speed wireless devices" :biggrinjester:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Keith B wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:This would be interesting if they had a 30.07 sign posted. In that case, I don't know that you could legally raise your shirt even if asked.
No. If you were being stopped by store asset protection, then showing them that it's not a stolen item is basically under their request. They are the ones posting the 30.07, and they could not have you arrested for openly carrying if they request to see what it is you have under your shirt.
You are no doubt correct for all practical purposes, but technically the individual asking you would need to be in control of the property to over ride the signage, I believe. Regardless, it is probably best to advise the individual of the fact that you have a legally carried firearm before you lift your shirt and expose your weapon.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
You are no doubt correct for all practical purposes, but technically the individual asking you would need to be in control of the property to over ride the signage, I believe. Regardless, it is probably best to advise the individual of the fact that you have a legally carried firearm before you lift your shirt and expose your weapon.
Asset protection people are in control of the property for theft prevention. So, technically they would be in control at that point when they have you detained for suspected theft.

As for advising them, I would agree it would be a better approach than just flashing your hog leg.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Keith B wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Asset protection people are in control of the property for theft prevention. So, technically they would be in control at that point when they have you detained for suspected theft.

As for advising them, I would agree it would be a better approach than just flashing your hog leg.
Yeah. I'm picturing a scenario where the guy tells you he thinks you are shoplifting and you show him a gun. That could easily be misinterpreted as something completely different than what it actually is.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Lotsa security cameras in Best Buy. Tell him to review those. :cool:
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I would just want to be sure the asset security guy knew I was showing him it was not store merchandise and not threatening him for stopping me. There may be room for misunderstanding. :mrgreen:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

All fun and jokes aside, if I found myself in this situation and I've considered it before, I would show them my license and tell them if they want to push it any further they would have to call the police and that I'd wait. When I'd last considered this was prior to OC passing. Also, AFAIK, Best Buy does not post 30.06 or .07 signs, so at least that part of this thread is a moot point.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jason812

Post by jason812 »

C-dub wrote:All fun and jokes aside, if I found myself in this situation and I've considered it before, I would show them my license and tell them if they want to push it any further they would have to call the police and that I'd wait. When I'd last considered this was prior to OC passing. Also, AFAIK, Best Buy does not post 30.06 or .07 signs, so at least that part of this thread is a moot point.
I might not even show them the license. Just tell them to call the police and let them make a fool of themselves.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”