My recent situation

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 4

My recent situation

Post by Venus Pax »

We visited the beautiful Texas Hill Country over spring break. We stayed at a campground in our travel trailer, towed by our truck.

We visited the Six Flags park, which is posted. You also go through a series of security checks. I left my handgun in the glove box and locked it.

My husband got a notice on his phone that the alarm had gone off on the truck. He saw the notice about 15 minutes after it was sent. We were in the back of the park, so it took him some time to walk up to the front and through the parking lot to the truck.

He discovered our driver side lock busted, and they had rummaged through our console, but did not bust the lock and get into the glove box. My gun was still there!
I was pleasantly surprised.
(We discovered later that our horn didn't work.)

When my husband made the initial report, he was told that someone had likely spooked them and they ran. We assumed they were looking for quick cash, or maybe drugs. We had a back up camera monitor and an old digital camera that they didn't touch.

The Ford dealership said that they believe that they people that broke in were actually trying to steal the truck. Apparently, this has become a major problem in San Antonio; six vehicles were stolen from the Six Flags lot during spring break, but San Antonio seems to have this problem at multiple locations within the city.

Since we tow our trailer with the truck, this would pose a major problem for us, as we can't exactly use a rental Prius.

We really would like to make the truck more theft resistant since it's the only vehicle we can take on vacation.
One person mentioned the old steering wheel club (think 1992) as a deterrent. Those seem easy as pie to bust the lock on.

What are your recommendations?
BTW, I've learned how easy it is to break into a Ford truck.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My recent situation

Post by warnmar10 »

Hidden locking battery disconnect switch.

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Car alarm with an ignition cut off installed by a reputable store? Seems like the alarm you had was enough to scare them away but I'm guessing it doesn't have any sort of protection against "hot wiring" the vehicle? Also what's the model and year of your Ford? Does it have PATS? The "clubs" merely slow down someone wanting to steal the truck. I've seen plenty of videos of people hack sawing through the steering wheel and removing the club that way.

Can't remember any recent vehicles I've owned that have had a glove compartment lock (or maybe I haven't paid attention). Have you given any thought to a console vault? I have a gun locker in my truck under the rear seat that I use to store my rifle/shotgun when I go out of town plus lock up my laptop and any valuable should I need to. It's hidden by the seat and not visible from outside of the vehicle. Just a thought.

strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by strogg »

Or remove a vital fuse like a fuel pump fuse. No one is going to spend their time troubleshooting a car that won't start.

This is why I no longer go to amusement parks. Every single one has an extremely high property crime rate, and no one cares enough to do anything about it.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

You mentioned Ford and towing a camper so can I assume a Superduty? If so, there are anti jimmy lock plates you can get as the factory locks can easily be used for a break in. I've often thought about getting some for my Excursion and always wonder the few times a year I go to one of the big cities, will it be in broken into. It has the PATS but I'm not sure how well it works.
http://www.jimmijammer.com/JJ%20descrip ... 103000.htm

These work as long as the crook isn't willing to break a window.

The hidden batter disconnect would work but I would interrupt the wire going to the starter so you don't have to reset the clock every time you use it. Also, if you have a tuner, you can get no start added to some of them, at least you could for the older ones (7.3 Powerstroke).
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

jason812 wrote:You mentioned Ford and towing a camper so can I assume a Superduty? If so, there are anti jimmy lock plates you can get as the factory locks can easily be used for a break in. I've often thought about getting some for my Excursion and always wonder the few times a year I go to one of the big cities, will it be in broken into. It has the PATS but I'm not sure how well it works.

The hidden batter disconnect would work but I would interrupt the wire going to the starter so you don't have to reset the clock every time you use it. Also, if you have a tuner, you can get no start added to some of them, at least you could for the older ones (7.3 Powerstroke).
This. :iagree:

Those steering wheel clubs are useless. They can hacksaw through the steering wheel in 30 seconds and then just remove the club.
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

Jose_in_Dallas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

jason812 wrote:You mentioned Ford and towing a camper so can I assume a Superduty?
I can tow a camper just fine with my F150 :coolgleamA:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Syntyr wrote:
jason812 wrote:You mentioned Ford and towing a camper so can I assume a Superduty? If so, there are anti jimmy lock plates you can get as the factory locks can easily be used for a break in. I've often thought about getting some for my Excursion and always wonder the few times a year I go to one of the big cities, will it be in broken into. It has the PATS but I'm not sure how well it works.

Those steering wheel clubs are useless. They can hacksaw through the steering wheel in 30 seconds and then just remove the club.
I wouldn't say useless. The point of any anti-theft measure, including basic locks is to make your property a less attractive target than other, similar, property located nearby. Thirty seconds of additional effort and the need to carry an additional tool does make your vehicle less attractive than the similar truck sitting nearby that does not have a club. It is also a visible deterrent, unlike some of the other things mentioned.

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I had a F 250 stolen from the parking lot where i work two times during a six month period. The first time it was found with lock damage only and a couple of items stolen. The second time it was found about 25 miles away with damage and everything stripped off of it. It appears that Ford F250 is a hot item to be stolen in my area. I put an alarm on my new truck that has an ignition kill on it. Hopefully I will not have to go through the stolen vehicle routine again. Good luck with your choice of deterrent systems.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Syntyr wrote:

I wouldn't say useless. The point of any anti-theft measure, including basic locks is to make your property a less attractive target than other, similar, property located nearby. Thirty seconds of additional effort and the need to carry an additional tool does make your vehicle less attractive than the similar truck sitting nearby that does not have a club. It is also a visible deterrent, unlike some of the other things mentioned.
:iagree:

The club will take extra effort to defeat. That alone is enough to make them move on to easier pickins.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

Glove compartment lock? I haven't seen one in years. I have a F150 and an F250 and neither has a lockable glove box but the 250 has a lockable compartment under the rear seat. How secure it is is another question.

bayou

Post by bayou »

Locker down console vault and a Silencer ignition kill switch. The console safe is about $300 and made in Texas. The Silencer was an option when I bought my truck. Always have a spare battery for the fob because when it dies you are usually no where convenient to buy a replacement

Interblog

Post by Interblog »

Venus Pax wrote:...
The Ford dealership said that they believe that they people that broke in were actually trying to steal the truck. ....
Curious... steal it how? By towing it? Does it not have a key fob chip that will not allow the engine to be started even if the wiring is defeated?

strogg

Post by strogg »

Interblog wrote:
Venus Pax wrote:...
The Ford dealership said that they believe that they people that broke in were actually trying to steal the truck. ....
Curious... steal it how? By towing it? Does it not have a key fob chip that will not allow the engine to be started even if the wiring is defeated?
There are devices out there that will defeat both the old PATS and the new MyKey PATS from Ford. Or the Honda equivalent. You'll be surprised at the devices available to steal cars with modern anti-theft technology. Another example I like is how thieves can steal a car with push-button start from the owner's home because the owner just left his or her keys sitting on the dresser in the bedroom.

Also, on any Ford older than this decade, the key cylinders are all the same: wide open with high tolerances. Look up auto jigglers and tryout keys. They are a super quick way to get into an older car without damaging anything. And it only takes a few seconds to do so.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Fords are easy to still. We had someone attempt to steal our diesel F-250 one night. The next day I had the ravelco installed. I have been using it for several years now with zero problems and zero attempts of theft. We pull a 5th wheel and we can’t afford to be stranded either.

Check it out: http://www.ravelco.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”