Calaveras and Braunig Lakes

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wharvey
Posts in topic: 2

Calaveras and Braunig Lakes

Post by wharvey »

Checked the lakes out today. Not good fishing at all with a strong N wind. I noticed 30.06 signs visible at the drive up window where you pay the fee. I think these parks are state parks, which can't ban carry. Problem is that instead of the usual no firearms allowed signs these were the actual 06 signs.

Anyone know if these are legally enforceable signs or just another example of an entity posting when they can not legally do so? They are under CPS controlling authority, not army corp, and the lakes are listed under the parks and wildlife department website.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

jmorris
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Calaveras and Braunig Lakes

Post by jmorris »

Actually both lakes were created when CPS Energy built the power stations and dams. They manage the lakes and dams. Management of the park is contacted out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Braunig_Lake
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G.A. Heath »

I suspect both lakes are associated with the ACoE and are thus off limits under federal law.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

jmorris
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmorris »

Neither are ACoE. They're private.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

It appears they are privately owned and therefore can be posted
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Choke Canyon has a state park and you don't need a license to fish.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

If my understanding of the 30.06 signs is correct, the prohibits you from entering a build or portion of a building, so as long as you don't enter any buildings it should be legal to carry.
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

crazy2medic wrote:If my understanding of the 30.06 signs is correct, the prohibits you from entering a build or portion of a building, so as long as you don't enter any buildings it should be legal to carry.
Wrong, 30.06 and 30.07 use the term property, not premises.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
wharvey

Post by wharvey »

G.A. Heath wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:If my understanding of the 30.06 signs is correct, the prohibits you from entering a build or portion of a building, so as long as you don't enter any buildings it should be legal to carry.
I was wondering if it applied to just the store or not. I found both listed on the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site but not listed as a state park. Guess I'll have to drive all the way to Choke Canyon. Fishing is probably better anyway.

Thanks.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

G.A. Heath wrote:
Also, the narrow definition of "premises" applies to TPC §§46.03 and 46.035, not Chapter 30.

A good argument could be made that a 30.06 sign on a building renders the building off-limits, not the entire property.

Chas.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Also, the narrow definition of "premises" applies to TPC §§46.03 and 46.035, not Chapter 30.

A good argument could be made that a 30.06 sign on a building renders the building off-limits, not the entire property.

Chas.
I agree if the building is open to the public. However, if the signs are posted on a ticket booth at the entrance wher you pay admission, I think a reasonable man would conclude it applies to the property for which you pay admission. The same principle would seem to apply to a park, amusement park, privately owned zoo, etc.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

BBYC wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Chas.
I agree if the building is open to the public. However, if the signs are posted on a ticket booth at the entrance wher you pay admission, I think a reasonable man would conclude it applies to the property for which you pay admission. The same principle would seem to apply to a park, amusement park, privately owned zoo, etc.
:iagree:
Chas.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Grundy1133 »

since we're on the whole "parks" topic, if a park isn't owned by the state or federal govt and there's no signage you can carry there right? I want to attend a relay for life meeting that's taking place at a local park and wasn't sure if it wouuld be ok for me to carry or not.
NRA Member

apostate

Post by apostate »

Grundy1133 wrote:since we're on the whole "parks" topic, if a park isn't owned by the state or federal govt and there's no signage you can carry there right?
Cities generally don't have legal authority to prohibit "a person licensed to carry a handgun" from carrying in a park. However, be sure about land ownership because some parks are on COE land.

Note that National Parks follow state law, per 54 U.S.C. 104906.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Some people make it more complicated than it needs to be. Take a CPR class and you're immune from 30.06 without counting angels dancing on pinheads.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”