What is a "school"?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

What is a "school"?

Post by mloamiller »

Section 46.03 prohibits carry "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution", as well as "on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event". It later defines "school" as "a private or public elementary or secondary school" but doesn't provide any further definition that I can find of "high school".

I understand "elementary and secondary" to mean Grades K-12. That would exclude Pre-K and daycare so you could carry on those premises, assuming it's on a campus separate from K-12, correct?

I understand that a high school football game would be off limits, but what about a Jr. High or even elementary game? If they are not on the "premises" (building or portion of a building), then it seems carry would be allowed.

Is there a specific definition of "high school"? To me, that means 9-12, but some cities are only 10-12, with 9 being their own school. If 9 is separate, would that be considered a "high school"?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

gtolbert09
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is a "school"?

Post by gtolbert09 »

I think the reason it's not defined is because school districts have their own definitions. For example Southlake-Carroll has 9th and 10th grade in a "high school" and 11-12 grades in a Senior High School. In Lewisville ISD each High school has a 9th grade campus but not all of them are co-located with the High School, yet are still considered "high schools". Then you have school districts that have Junior high consisting of 7-8-9 grades and High School with 10-11-12 grades. My guess is these all have to do with education philosophy and population of the school districts. This is probably why "high school" isn't defined in detail.
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

You also have some places that are owned by you and I, which don't like the fact that they can't legally restrict our right to carry, so they call themselves "schools". This includes public libraries and zoos.

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mloamiller »

gtolbert09 wrote:I think the reason it's not defined is because school districts have their own definitions. For example Southlake-Carroll has 9th and 10th grade in a "high school" and 11-12 grades in a Senior High School. In Lewisville ISD each High school has a 9th grade campus but not all of them are co-located with the High School, yet are still considered "high schools". Then you have school districts that have Junior high consisting of 7-8-9 grades and High School with 10-11-12 grades. My guess is these all have to do with education philosophy and population of the school districts. This is probably why "high school" isn't defined in detail.
I guess the determining factor could be what do they call themselves? If a 7-8-9 building says "Jr. High" on the outside, then it isn't a "high school." Same for a 9th-only building that says "9th Grade Center."

A student in a recent LTC class asked the question "could I carry at a Jr. High football game" and I wasn't really sure what the answer was.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

School
noun;
A government brainwashing facility.
NRA Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

mloamiller wrote:Section 46.03 prohibits carry "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution", as well as "on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event". It later defines "school" as "a private or public elementary or secondary school" but doesn't provide any further definition that I can find of "high school".

I understand "elementary and secondary" to mean Grades K-12. That would exclude Pre-K and daycare so you could carry on those premises, assuming it's on a campus separate from K-12, correct?

I understand that a high school football game would be off limits, but what about a Jr. High or even elementary game? If they are not on the "premises" (building or portion of a building), then it seems carry would be allowed.

Is there a specific definition of "high school"? To me, that means 9-12, but some cities are only 10-12, with 9 being their own school. If 9 is separate, would that be considered a "high school"?
Here's the part of 46.03 that is relevant:
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted
The Jr. High or Elementary game would be a school sponsored event.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”