Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: A question...

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

:txflag:
Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Sorry... I should have been clearer...
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.
It is interesting that Sprouts only chooses bar a certain type of gun, carried by a small percentage of all gun owners. They do not bar rifles (including concealed rifles) at all. They also do not bar handguns carried by LEO's, VESP's, or criminals. Apparently guns in the hands of criminals scare them less than guns in the hands of the single most law abiding segment of the population. And to be clear, they could choose to bar all of these other guns through a combination of signage and physical security. They just don't think there is any risk there, apparently. But if a LTC holder happens to come in with a CCW, then surely a blood bath will ensue...

PriestTheRunner
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PriestTheRunner »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

The other bill simply removes all off-limits areas for LTCs.

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
When they are introduced, please let us know. I will be calling my reps to ask them to make this a priority and want to do so immediately after it is presented.

Thanks!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PriestTheRunner wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

I just finished final proofreading of two of my bills. One would remove off-limits areas for LTCs while also removing the requirement to have an LTC to carry a handgun. (In other words, it creates unlicensed-carry.) People carrying without an LTC would be subject to all the provisions of TPC §46.03 and §46.035. (Section 46.035 would be repealed, but, by necessity, all of its provisions would be added to §46.03.)

Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
When they are introduced, please let us know. I will be calling my reps to ask them to make this a priority and want to do so immediately after it is presented.

Thanks!
We have to get a GOOD bill "author" or it will be useless.

Chas.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
PriestTheRunner wrote:

Chas.

Thanks!
We have to get a GOOD bill "author" or it will be useless.

Chas.

this is encouraging news. and yes, the author, and co-signers will be important.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 3

Post by twomillenium »

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Even the most reluctant politicians, other than long time anti-gun people, are finally admitting that "gun free zones" are an illusion and that they are are in fact killing zones. We simply must stop creating target-rich environments for mass-murderers.

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I plan to come to Austin when these Bills come up, to speak on the issue of using "private property" as an excuse not to support removing restrictions on LTC's. I think I can politely express my argument in 2 minutes or less.

Private property is still private property and the owner/management does not have to allow anyone licensed or not to override their choices. Your desires do not override my rights on my property and should never ever change.
Private property.... IS... a place where "private property owners" do not invite the public to conduct commercial business.
Obviously deserving of full protection.. including the right to exclude anyone for any reason or no reason at all.

However, is .... Sprouts... for example... entitled to the same ability to exclude LTC's?
I plan to argue that there are MANY precedents that say the answer to that question is resoundingly NO.
I understand what you mean and until some law forces us to do business with the "sprout " type stores it is still the property of the owner their rep.
I will do business else where, I don't want the slippery slope effect that takes ANY rights from ANY private property owners even if they do business with the public. I have choices and so should they, but let's not make my choices theirs or their choices mine.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RoyGBiv »

twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I understand what you mean and until some law forces us to do business with the "sprout " type stores it is still the property of the owner their rep.
I will do business else where, I don't want the slippery slope effect that takes ANY rights from ANY private property owners even if they do business with the public. I have choices and so should they, but let's not make my choices theirs or their choices mine.
I appreciate your position.
If there were not so many other laws that force government mandates onto business owners, I might agree with you. But, if government can force a business owner to comply with ADA or require them to have fire extinguishers in their building, I think it's hypocritical that an enumerated right is allowed to be infringed in the same place.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
twomillenium wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:

Chas.
Hallelujah!

I appreciate your position.
If there were not so many other laws that force government mandates onto business owners, I might agree with you. But, if government can force a business owner to comply with ADA or require them to have fire extinguishers in their building, I think it's hypocritical that an enumerated right is allowed to be infringed in the same place.
This bill needs its own post. Will his be heard in a special session or wait till next year? Can we get the Gov to hold a special session?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TreyHouston wrote: This bill needs its own post. Will his be heard in a special session or wait till next year? Can we get the Gov to hold a special session?
It would be very unlikely that a special session would be called during an election silly season.. Legislators have far more important things to do like, raise money and make promises they don't intend to keep.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

Chas.
:thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am Carrying inside a school or at a school-sponsored activity without written permission is a 3rd degree felony. The ramifications of a felony conviction are well known and will be devastating to both the felon and his/her family.

Chas.
You sir, are a giant among men.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”