Another hypothetical scenario / question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 4

Another hypothetical scenario / question

Post by KinnyLee »

I work at a school during the day and goes to another school at night. Before I enter the building I make sure I disarm myself either by placing the firearm into a locked glove compartment or leaving the fanny pack hidden inside the vehicle. Now here is a situation. Let's say one day I come from lunch or going out to the parking lot in between classes, and I heard a loud distinct pop. Knowing thats it's a gun shot and approximately where it comes from, I will first call the campus police. But what then? Do I go about my business because I don't see immediate danger coming my way or do I go to investigate with the weapon? What if it's in visible range and I'm a witness? Do I assist then even though there is no immediate danger coming my way but possibly to someone else? And what if I assist at the parking lot? Will this get me into hot water? Lots of "what ifs" I know, but this has crossed my mind for quite sometime since I spend a lot of time on an educational facility.

cxm
Posts in topic: 1

MYOB and RUN AWAY...Fast!

Post by cxm »

I assume you are not a cop... if that is correct ...Call the cops... then get out of Dodge muy pronto...

When trouble starts and you have the opportunity to escape do so smartly... The gunfight you avoid is the gunfight you always win.

FWIW

Chuck
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

HankB

Post by HankB »

Generally agree with CXM. Holding a CHL does NOT make you a cop. And responding with a firearm at the ready probably has a LOT more potential downside than any likely upside. (The one exception where I'd respond would be if the gunshot came from an area where I knew a member of my family was located.)
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

Makes a lot of sense. :)

couzin

Forgive my intrusion into the scenario but...

Post by couzin »

Doesn't the TX Code specifically ban guns from school buildings, grounds, and events? If you are TX CHL - can't you lose the license and be prosecuted?

dolanp

Re: Forgive my intrusion into the scenario but...

Post by dolanp »

couzin wrote:Doesn't the TX Code specifically ban guns from school buildings, grounds, and events? If you are TX CHL - can't you lose the license and be prosecuted?
Parking lots and walkways don't count as 'premises' for that purpose. You just can't take it inside a school building/event.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

longtooth

Hypo story

Post by longtooth »

Agree totally with the call in as soon as I hear shots fired. Problem w/ walking away & going about my business comes if I know where they are coming from & especially if they are continuing. Figure I would fall into that part of my signature that says they that fear death (or in this case prosecution) more than oppression die every time they close their eyes. Believe I would hear those shots every time I closed my eyes & maybe a few hollers of "somebody help us." I also have thought about that general situation. My decision is to call it in & STAY ON THE LINE. As I see if I can intervene & stop the shooting as carefully as possible, keep the dispatcher posted on position of shots, my position, CHL holder, MY DESCRIPTION, my position over & OVER, my description again, Yall broadcast it to responding LEO, remember I am the guy in the blue hat & tan shirt. At 55 yr old & somewhat cripple I am no runner. Look to the BG's more like a good victim than a hero. As soon as I see LEO arrive that is when I break off & become the best witness I can. Start writing notes if possible. Never drove by a wreck that did not have plenty of help already there. Don't think I could walk away from gunshots in a public place & ever sleep all night. Shots from inside the HOUSE down the road is a different thing. That is totally there responsibility. My thought out position. I will live or die with it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
KinnyLee

Re: Forgive my intrusion into the scenario but...

Post by KinnyLee »

dolanp wrote:
couzin wrote:Doesn't the TX Code specifically ban guns from school buildings, grounds, and events? If you are TX CHL - can't you lose the license and be prosecuted?
Parking lots and walkways don't count as 'premises' for that purpose. You just can't take it inside a school building/event.
What he said. 8)

Topic author
KinnyLee

Post by KinnyLee »

orc4hire wrote:Okay, let's say you call in a 'shot fired' report, then go wandering around the area with a gun. How do you think the police are going to react to that when they show up?

Call it in, leave your number, and go about your business.
They would probably think I'm one of the suspect. I guess that's why you stay on the phone like Longtooth described. I'm still a noob on this and there is a lot for me to learn. Thanks for the advice so far. :)

Trainman

Post by Trainman »

I think longtooth nailed it. A chl does not make a leo.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Trainman wrote:I think longtooth nailed it. A chl does not make a leo.
Need to add that statement in a signature line...Thats just too good to be forgotten...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”