Legality Concealed Knives

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jason
Posts in topic: 4

Legality Concealed Knives

Post by jason »

I apologize if this is the wrong section for this.

I'm looking to get a neck knife to carry.

I'm trying to find information concerning the legality of carrying knives in Texas. I looked through the penal code, but the only mention I could find was carrying "illegal knives."

(6) "Illegal knife[0]" means a:
(A) knife[0] with a blade over five and one-half
inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab
another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk,
stilletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife[0];
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

Any mention of concealment appears to only address handguns.

So from what I read, it seems legal for me to purchase a fixed-blade knife with a blade up to 5.5" and carry it concealed.
Jason

starrbuck
Posts in topic: 1

Post by starrbuck »

Texas's concealed carry law only applies to handguns. That's why it's a CHL, or Concealed Hangun License. You did your homework and know what length knife you can carry legally, and the CHL is meaningless when it pertains to knives.
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm
Bushmaster AR-15 w/Magpul pistol grip and foregrip, Bushnell holosight

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Topic author
jason

Post by jason »

starrbuck wrote:Texas's concealed carry law only applies to handguns. That's why it's a CHL, or Concealed Hangun License. You did your homework and know what length knife you can carry legally, and the CHL is meaningless when it pertains to knives.
I was aware that CHL only applied to handguns, but wasn't sure if there were laws against concealed carry of knives.

In California, fixed blades had to be open carried. The laws there concerning blades was enough to drive anyone mad.

Thanks.
Jason

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Russell wrote:Welcome to Texas, where we can at least be somewhat free :cool:
Unless you want to carry the knife named for a Hero of the Alamo. :???:

T3hK1w1

Post by T3hK1w1 »

Generally, if a knife does not fall into one of the "Illegal Knives" categories, you can carry it any way you want. Also, note that most of the knives that DO fall under this category are only illegal to carry-they are not illegal to own.

dihappy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dihappy »

What about locking blades? Did i read some where, something about locking blades or is any blade under 5.5'' legal with the exception of a double bladed dagger, stilleto, etc?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

dihappy wrote:What about locking blades? Did i read some where, something about locking blades or is any blade under 5.5'' legal with the exception of a double bladed dagger, stilleto, etc?
Thats a San Antonio thing. They have an ordinance about locking blades.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

dihappy

Post by dihappy »

ahh yes, thats right. So doesnt matter how long in SA, no locking right?

Thats ridiculous!

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Yep; in San Antonio I don't think you can carry a folding, lock-back knife, period. Because Texas law says no blade longer than 5.5" and the clever SA legislature wrote Muni code to say no lock-back knife with a blade shorter than 5.5". :???:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
jason

Post by jason »

Skiprr wrote:Yep; in San Antonio I don't think you can carry a folding, lock-back knife, period. Because Texas law says no blade longer than 5.5" and the clever SA legislature wrote Muni code to say no lock-back knife with a blade shorter than 5.5". :???:
The problem I have, is how we are supposed to know every ordinance of every county and municipality we may have to travel through. Obviously, no one knows what you're carrying if it is concealed properly. I don't like the feeling that I'm breaking the law, even if the law is ridiculous.
Jason

HooG19

Post by HooG19 »

Skiprr wrote:Yep; in San Antonio I don't think you can carry a folding, lock-back knife, period. Because Texas law says no blade longer than 5.5" and the clever SA legislature wrote Muni code to say no lock-back knife with a blade shorter than 5.5". :???:
So carry a lock blade that is exactly 5.5"?
Concealed Carry since 8/17/07

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

HooG19 wrote:
So carry a lock blade that is exactly 5.5"?

Unfortunately, this involves yet another problem.

There is no uniform method by which the blade is measured.

One person may interpret "blade" to mean the sharpened part of the blade only, another may think that the blade is everything from the tip to the hilt/locking mechanism.

For fixed blade knives....it could even include the "tang" which may extend all the way through the handle. There needs to be a national standard on this IMO.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I dunno...Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to carry a knife...

Loaded statement, I know...But having done so for years, with what I believe to be a perfectly "legal" knife for any purpose...What has it really done for me??? Do I practice with it??? Do I keep it sharp??? etc etc...

Its been that one little thing that has become so second nature to my routine in the morning, cliping it to the hem in my right pocket, that I can see the wear and tear on many a pant I have worn over the years...

So from time to time you kinda go though this little gut check and try to figure out why you do this...

FYI, it has been one of those Cricket M-16 (Tanto tipped) locking blades...That I figure would be illegal in San Antonio for some silly reason...

But thats just what kinda got me off on this tangent anyway...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”