Sharing a little of my fun!

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Bodacious
Posts in topic: 1

Laser Engraving

Post by Bodacious »

Tactical_Texan_CHL wrote:We'll forgive you for not answering sooner if you at least got something! Did you get anything good? ;-)

I got a 10 pointer with a couple of broken tines.

Tactical_Texan_CHL
Posts in topic: 2

Sharing a little of my fun!

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I just thought I'd share some of my toys. Kimber Raptor, Glock 21 SF with M6X tactical light, my brother and best friend on 2 of my 4-wheelers on his ranch near Huntsville, and one of me stuck so you can laugh at me a little. For you predator hunters if there are any others out there, is a bobcat I shot while we were deer hunting a couple of years ago.

I took out the extra photos of some of my guns since this got moved to hunting photos now. I may post them in a different thread some other time.
Last edited by Tactical_Texan_CHL on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

KC5AV

Re: Sharing a little of my fun!

Post by KC5AV »

What did you shoot the bobcat with?
NRA lifetime member

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I shot her with a .30-06, using Hornady 150 gr SST's. We were actually hunting deer, and it was just before dusk so we were about to leave. My buddy Jake just happened to catch a glimse of her in his binoculars. We used a rangefinder and she was about 150 out. I really wished I had something smaller once we got to her. She could have made a beautiful mount. Jake kept her and took her to his taxidermist. He tried to mount her crouching against a big piece of wood, but it doesn't look very good. Maybe a better taxidermist could have done more, I added a couple of new pictures. If he'd worked a little harder maybe she would have turned out better, but this guy does great on deer, and he's a friend of Jake's, so it was free. Just had to buy the form. Jake's got her in the barn. Scared the bugeezus out of his wife one night when she walked into there! I've since put another rack on my 4-wheeler, and keep a .223 on there too, just in case. I really want a good bobcat mount for my office.

TacTex
NRA Life Member

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Yeah, .30-06 was probably a bit much.
Bobcats are such beautiful animals, though.

-John
NRA lifetime member

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

KC5AV wrote:Yeah, .30-06 was probably a bit much.
Bobcats are such beautiful animals, though.
And exceptionally hard to kill. I had a run-in with one several years ago that was showing no fear whatsoever at about 15 yards. All I had with me was a Marlin Model 60 22LR. I had to reload before I finally dropped it, and I counted 14 hits total, including three headshots that glanced off the skull and several body hits that should have at least lamed it. In retrospect, we should have had it checked for rabies.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flintknapper »

edit: delete
Last edited by flintknapper on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

flintknapper wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:And exceptionally hard to kill. I had a run-in with one several years ago that was showing no fear whatsoever at about 15 yards. All I had with me was a Marlin Model 60 22LR. I had to reload before I finally dropped it, and I counted 14 hits total, including three headshots that glanced off the skull and several body hits that should have at least lamed it. In retrospect, we should have had it checked for rabies.
I must say....that Bobcat was quite the exception. If anything, they are noted as being easy to kill.

A .22 placed properly is normally more than adequate to dispatch a bobcat.
Well, after the first headshot, it was moving, though it took several shots before it really acted like it was hurt. I'm pretty sure it was not entirely sane, given that when I first spotted it, it was watching our chickens and ignoring me at rock throwing distance. Even after the first shot, it was pacing, more like it was annoyed than scared.

In defense of the caliber, later inspection showed all the headshots to be a tad higher than I'd meant to aim, making it easier for the first two to burrow under the skin without penetrating the skull. The third was the killing shot, from about 10 yards, and hit about 3/8" above POA. All the other shots were taken at a strangely slow but very agile moving target ranging from 10-20 yards, so a variation that small would be lost in the shuffle, so to speak.

That was back in the days when I used to shoot thistle heads as far away as I could see them with iron sights, and go through more than a brick of ammo in a good week, so of course the sights were tweaked carefully as soon as the cat was disposed of.

Return to “Hunting Photos”