Game Recipes

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Game Recipes

Post by Crossfire »

Now that we have started off the hunting season with dove, let's hear how you have been cooking up the little critters.

We have been doing the typical grill thing - boneless breast, with a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeno, wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill, then brushed with barbeque sauce. Hmmmm, good!

What have you done that's different?
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

pbwalker

Re: Game Recipes

Post by pbwalker »

Crossfire wrote:Now that we have started off the hunting season with dove, let's hear how you have been cooking up the little critters.

We have been doing the typical grill thing - boneless breast, with a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeno, wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill, then brushed with barbeque sauce. Hmmmm, good!

I've done a slight variation of that. I'll wrap the breast with cream cheese and a jalapeno inside and then grill them. Juicy goodness! Yummy!

:txflag:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

RugerP345

Post by RugerP345 »

Crossfire wrote:Now that we have started off the hunting season with dove, let's hear how you have been cooking up the little critters.

My recipe is similar. I marinate those beauties in Italian dressing overnight. And as you do, take a slice of jalapeno, onion and a chunk of parmesan cheese wrap em in pepper bacon and slam em on the grill, yumm, is it lunch time yet????!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
Ignorance and obscurantism have never produced anything other than flocks of slaves for tyranny. ~ Emiliano Zapata in a Letter to Pancho Villa

kd5zex

Post by kd5zex »

How has everyones dove hunting been going? The birds are pretty thin around New Braunfels.
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Member

sbb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sbb »

I, too, use a similare recipe. I do inject each breast half with Cajun butter marinade then do the jalapeno, cheese and bacon thing. However I smoke the little critters at 190 to 200 degrees until the internal temp registers 160. I normally fix about 200 of these little bites for Thanksgiving appetizers.

Opening day hunting was slow with nary a limit in our group. On Tuesday I was able to take a limit in the Central zone. My normal zone does not open until September 20. We have scouted many, many white wings and a reasonable number of Asian ringnecks. The retrievers and I can hardly wait. I plan to hunt the entire opening week of our zone. :fire
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

We cook them the same way ~ I'd sure be interested in a new way to try.

As far as the hunting has been going I only went out opening weekend. A friend from church has a place out near Decatur and we slayed them. We all (15) limited out by 9:30 and there were tons of white wings and lots of ringnecks (first time I'd seen either actually). It was the best dove hunting I'd done.
Browning BDM 9mm
SW99 9mm
Kimber Ultra Carry 45

Class 8/16/08
Mailed 8/20/08
Received 8/22/08
PIN Received 9/8/08
Application Completed 10/30/08
Plastic Arrived 11/3/08

sbb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sbb »

Limits taken yesterday and today despite my less than great shooting. Both retrievers had a work out. Hopefully I can hunt every day this week. Power is estimated to be restored by Friday. Its too hot to stay at home. Glad I scheduled vacation for this week. I'm happy to have a generator so that I can watch my team whip up on the Cheese Heads. (I'll probably have to eat those words.) :smilelol5:
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

Weg

Post by Weg »

Good recipe : pile breasted dove or quail in crock pot, salt them, cover them with cream of whatever. I use cream of mushroom. Put crockpot on low, cook all day. Very good.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

All of you guys slathering them birds with onion, jalapeno and the like are killing the flavor of the meat.

Wrap in bacon to keep them moist and roast over mesquite.

No sauce. Jalapeno poppers on the side. ZGrilled veggies along with the onions.

Yum.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Hunting Photos”