Here we go again......

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 25

Re: Here we go again......

Post by flintknapper »

NuBer92 wrote:Is a hunting license needed to harvest hogs or what about hunter safety?
Yes..a hunting license is required except: (A landowner or his agent(s) may dispatch hogs causing damage/depredation) without the need for a hunting license.

Yes, a recognized hunter safety course must have been completed for anyone born after 1971.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

CainA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CainA »

and "dispatch" = "kill"?

To me dispatch means to "send out" or mail or something along those lines.

-Cain

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

CainA wrote:and "dispatch" = "kill"?

To me dispatch means to "send out" or mail or something along those lines.

-Cain
If you'll give me your mailing address, you'll have your answer in a few days. ;-)

dis·patch also des·patch (d-spch)
tr.v. dis·patched, dis·patch·ing, dis·patch·es

1. To relegate to a specific destination or send on specific business. See Synonyms at send1.
a. To complete, transact, or dispose of promptly.
b. To eat up (food); finish off (a dish or meal).
3. To put to death summarily.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

These pics were taken tonight from a tree-stand I set up about 15’ from the end of the trap.

Instead of using the normal trip wire…I rigged up a cord running from the trigger directly up to the tree-stand. That way, I could manually trigger the gate when most of the hogs were inside.

The boar that was with this group (and the alpha sow)…would not enter the trap. The boar circled behind me….and I had to go ahead and trip the gate before he busted me.

Still, 17 hogs is not too bad. Maybe the boar can be shot out later if he comes back.

I will retrieve the game-cam pics tomorrow.
Last edited by flintknapper on Tue May 19, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by longtooth »

That is a good job. Now what you gonna do w/ em. :banghead:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

LaserTex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LaserTex »

Delivery? ... :drool:

Hungry, droolin' Doug :txflag:

PS - Been there - done that. I stopped gardening...
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

TexasComputerDude
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasComputerDude »

longtooth wrote:That is a good job. Now what you gonna do w/ em. :banghead:

they make excellent pets for city folk.

mommie LOOK at the cute little piggies!

CHA-CHING! 50$ A POP
Glock 30 - main ccw

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Congratulations on successfully catching 17 of them! That's very impressive. Good luck with finding that boar and his sow.
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TheArmedFarmer wrote:Congratulations on successfully catching 17 of them! That's very impressive. Good luck with finding that boar and his sow.

Yeah, actually I DIDN"T get the two I really wanted. :oops:

The boar and the alpha sow would not go in the trap. The way it worked out...I had to take what I could get while I could.

We had a North wind here yesterday...so I decided to set up a tree stand and manually trip the doors. The wind was blowing from the trap out into an open pasture (perfect).

The hogs came in about 30 minutes earlier than I was expecting, it was actually light enough that I could have taken video.

Even though I always wear rubber boots when visiting the trap, the boar immediately picked up the faint scent left behind...and began back-trailing me.

He was "growling" the whole time (something they do to denote displeasure), it’s not an alarm to other hogs...but more like a warning or a show of dominance to anything around.

I had the boar and two sows still outside the trap. It was obvious the boar wasn't going to enter...but I wanted to wait as long as possible for the sows to make up their minds.

The boar followed my trail right up to the fence line and the tree I was in (he was directly under me). He stuck his head through the barb wire fence as if he was going to enter the lane and get behind me. I could see him slobbering on the wire as he stood there growling.

In a minute...he turned around and trotted out into the pasture still growling. Now...he starts to a make a half circle back toward the lane which will put him directly behind and downwind of me. He is definitely going to "bust me" at this point.

Luckily, one of the sows decides to go into the trap at this juncture, so it was a race to see if she would get in the trap before the boar winded me and "woofed" his warning the rest.

As soon as her butt cleared the doors, I tripped the trigger and the whole pen exploded. I'll try to get some video next time so everyone can appreciate how strong these animals are, they really rocked the pen and most of these hogs are little ones.

I might be able to lure the boar back in later with some "sow in heat" scent, but he is smart one...and will never enter a trap after this.

The alpha sow...I don't know about. If I have any chance at her..it will be in the next few days. After that...she will probably move on (even wiser than before).

So, while I managed to catch the majority of this sounder, I failed to catch the "brains", making it that much harder to take them out.

But, thats we have so many of them. They are very smart. ;-)

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Great story. My heart was beating a little stronger just reading about your adventure, especially imagining sitting up in that stand with the boar right under you. Very nice.
flintknapper wrote:As soon as her butt cleared the doors, I tripped the trigger and the whole pen exploded.
I bet it did!!! Video would have been priceless for that event.

Do you mind me asking how much the saloon door cost you?

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TheArmedFarmer wrote:Great story. My heart was beating a little stronger just reading about your adventure, especially imagining sitting up in that stand with the boar right under you. Very nice.
flintknapper wrote:As soon as her butt cleared the doors, I tripped the trigger and the whole pen exploded.
I bet it did!!! Video would have been priceless for that event.

Do you mind me asking how much the saloon door cost you?
$270.00

You can build one (assuming you can weld) for much, much...less, but this one had all the features I like and is very sturdy, so I just bought it.

I had to weld up a few items to make a trip mechanism in the back of the trap...but no big deal.

TheArmedFarmer

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

Next time I'm out that way, I'm going to pick one up for myself. That's a good thing to have around so you can bring it out when needed.

Make sure you tell the story when you get that boar and his wife.

Dan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dan »

Awesome pictures and write up! Why can't you take a shotgun out to that tree stand and just blast the boar with a slug or buckshot? :headscratch

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Dan wrote: Why can't you take a shotgun out to that tree stand and just blast the boar with a slug or buckshot? :headscratch

I could.

The firearm used would not be an issue at this point (I could just use a rifle).

The problem now...is that the Boar and Alpha Sow are not coming into the bait station until 3-4 O' Clock in the morning. These are smart hogs.

I want to get rid of these last two animals....but frankly...I don't hate them so bad that I am willing to stay up that late....only to "maybe" get a chance at them.

I put out some snares yesterday....so we'll see how that works. I rarely use snares, but this is a special circumstance. These two hogs are very smart. I would not be surprised if it takes me awhile to get them.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Boar screwed up this morning.

I had to move a couple of the snares (fine tune the set up), because the boar “busted” me on one of the fence crossings. I noticed from several of the game-cam pics, he was getting a little careless when feeding at the bait site.

In a few of the pics…. he was walking between my “hog-gauge” and the brush that grows along the fence line. I set a snare at that location….and BINGO.

I always check snares early in the morning to keep the animals from becoming unduly stressed. This morning…I was met with a low hanging fog right along the fence-line/lane in which I have the snares set.

That’s NOT a good thing….because it makes seeing your “catch” very difficult.

I parked my truck away from the bait site, got my camera and my .45 and slowly walked up to the set. I thought I heard some movement before I got completely up to the area…so I creeped up to the lane and looked to the other side. Spotted Mr. Boar waiting for me in the brush:

I took one quick pic, and as soon as the flash hit him…he came under the fence into the lane. He stood there for a couple of seconds….just giving me the “stink eye”:

Continued next post:

Return to “Hunting Photos”