Here we go again......

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 25

Re: Here we go again......

Post by flintknapper »

At the second “flash” it was “game on” and he made a charge. The snare held…. and jerked him 180 degrees. At this point he went back under the fence and started “woofing and growling”.

He would watch me from the other side of the lane, his head pressed up against the bottom wire:

Every time I would move the least bit, he would shoot out of the brush and charge straight at me. He did that 5-6 times before offering this one shot opportunity:

Continued next post:
Last edited by flintknapper on Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

He definitely wasn’t playing around. He tested my equipment…and I was a bit worried he might pop the “stop” off the end of the Berkshire lock. I use stout springs attached to the ground anchor to help absorb the impact….even so, this guy did some damage:

I always use swivels on my snare extensions to avoid having a hog “twist off” or put a kink in the cable . Though they worked as intended, this hog still pretty much ruined the snare and the extension:

Continued next post:

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Anyway, got the boar:

In this pic, you can see just make out the “Mohawk” (or ridge of hair) along his back. This is an indication of the “Russian” influence we are seeing more of around here:

I wish had gotten a picture of him when he was all bristled, but I was doing a lot of backing up.

Now we’ll see if we can get the Alpha Sow. I have my doubts about catching up with her, she has mastered survival.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Skiprr »

Thanks to good photography, the ridge hair is clearly visible. Interesting. Out of curiosity, did you weigh that boar?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

sneedb82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sneedb82 »

.45ACP to the head? Make for a swift kill?! LOl

He did some pretty hefty damage to those stakes. What did he tip the scales at? 325#? Smart boogers, but not quite as smart as those Alpha Sows.

Wish I was in your neck of the woods (pun intended) to help you take that sow. Good luck getting her in there. I'm sure you will, but it'll take some patience (but not too much... she might drop those little ones first!!! OH NO!!!)

Keep at em Flint. I enjoy reading your posts throughout the day and week... especially how some individuals react to them as well. Take care.

Oh... BTW, I'd love to go on one of your "safaris" for you and take pictures instead of you trying to take pictures and shoot at the same time :)
LOL

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

:clapping: Nice job on the snare. I love the idea of using springs.

I'm learning a lot from this thread. :cheers2:
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

sneedb82 wrote:.45ACP to the head? Make for a swift kill?! LOl

He did some pretty hefty damage to those stakes. What did he tip the scales at? 325#? Smart boogers, but not quite as smart as those Alpha Sows.
Wish I was in your neck of the woods (pun intended) to help you take that sow. Good luck getting her in there. I'm sure you will, but it'll take some patience (but not too much... she might drop those little ones first!!! OH NO!!!)

Keep at em Flint. I enjoy reading your posts throughout the day and week... especially how some individuals react to them as well. Take care.

Oh... BTW, I'd love to go on one of your "safaris" for you and take pictures instead of you trying to take pictures and shoot at the same time :)
LOL

Roger that!

If I'd had my pick of the two...I would have preferred to have gotten the Alpha/Lead sow.

Boars can be difficult to harvest because of their solitary nature. They are not dummies by any means...but can't "hold a candle" to a sow that has been around for awhile.

stevedbrown

Post by stevedbrown »

This is a great story! Thanks for sharing.
05/09/2009 - CHL class (Thanks again Tom Estep!)
05/12/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
05/15/2009 - Paperwork Received
06/22/2009 - PIN Received
09/03/2009 - Application Approved
09/10/2009 - Plastic in Hand

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 7

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

I wonder... it's been a couple months since you bagged that boar. Did you ever get the sow?
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Topic author
flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TheArmedFarmer wrote:I wonder... it's been a couple months since you bagged that boar. Did you ever get the sow?

Lead sow never showed up again. We have taken seven more hogs since then (5 of them boars), I just don't post much hunting stuff here.

Sniper John

Post by Sniper John »

I like the corn arrow on the first page of the thread. I will have to try that. :hurry:

Street2Peschel

Post by Street2Peschel »

That looks like the perfect AR-15 hunt. I have considered putting a silencer on mine so I can exterminate many at a time.

wacc

Post by wacc »

Thats a big hog

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

I was mesmerized by this story. Great writing and photo taking. You should write a book; but oh, guess you already have, right here. :clapping:
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

Ruger74

Post by Ruger74 »

That is a neat set up for catching hogs. I got a kick out of the Corn Arrow. I have been going out to Caddo Grasslands to hunt hogs. No luck, I think they are patroling at night. There are hogs starting to come into my deer lease in Hico, Tx. (Bosque Cnty). I feed the deer year long and buddy you can bet it gets expensive. Good luck with your contraption.
"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well-prepared to meet an enemy."
-------George Washington

Return to “Hunting Photos”