Things I Shot in Freer

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
iratollah
Posts in topic: 1

Things I Shot in Freer

Post by iratollah »

Just before our annual family male bonding trip with my in-laws (they call it hunting I call it freezing my tush off in the woods), Krakatollah gave me a belated Chanukkah (and Father's Day and birthday) gift, a Nikon D5000 kit plus a 75-300 VR lens. She said she didn't know how to go about getting me the Ruger 10-22 with a can, but this was possibly more practical and I've been wanting a decent camera for years. She dug deep to get this for me and I wasn't expecting it.

I don't like venison so I'm reluctant to shoot something I won't eat myself, but if I'd have seen any hogs I'd have shot those as a favor to the landowner and let my BiL or the coyotes have him. With my HK91 with 3x9 scope next to me, I chose to shoot with my new camera instead. Learning the camera made things more interesting, I already know my way around the rifle.

I've still got a lot to learn about the camera and editing pics, although made quite a bit of progress identifying the features. Also used a monopod for the first time ever, it's a great accessory.

Here's a few things I shot under mostly very low light conditions, hope to improve my skills soon:

Mexican Jay, they've been moving farther north, I'd never seen one.

4 point spike that ate much of my corn, I've had dogs weighed more than this deer.

Wasn't paying attention near the blind in the dark and took some of these home as a souvenir.

I named this 8 pointer "Target", but chose not to shoot him, easy @ 150 yards with the .308. Didn't feel like spending an extra hour in the cold after dark field dressing it for someone else to eat.

Lots of oil field stuff on the property, got bored, got artsy, camera has an 'autumn colors' setting:

And the best for last, a picture from the Texas Hunter Safety Manual. Draw your own conclusions, think of it as another art photo:
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

Target1911

Re: Things I Shot in Freer

Post by Target1911 »

Very nice pics....
We can all see the truth as to why you didnt shoot that 8pt. The last photo tells all. You just couldnt make up your mind as to which of the 2, or 3, (all depending on how much of that bottle you emptied) 8 pts to aim at and he got away. :cheers2: :cheers2: :fire
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

Awesome pics. Freer is a great place to hunt with a lot of quality game.

Good choice on not shooting the 8 point. He looked to be 2.5 to 3.5 years old and not mature enough yet. I betcha next year he will be a for sure target of yours.
Last edited by shortysboy09 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Enjoy your new camera. You can shoot and shoot and then shoot some more with a camera. With a gun, dead is forever.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Man, that Mexican Jay is beautiful, isn't he? Nice pics. I would have gone with Lagavulin rather than the Crown Royal.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Hunting Photos”