Feeders and Cattle

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pbwalker
Posts in topic: 3

Feeders and Cattle

Post by pbwalker »

I'm pretty sure I've got my mind made up on what to do, but was looking to solicit some feedback if anyone knows a less expensive option. :lol:

I've got cattle on my lease, and they, along with raccoons, essentially destroyed my feeder.

The cows knocked it down and the raccoons destroyed the timer.

I'm looking at a Tripod Winch feeder, and they are spendy ($500 +/-). I had barbed wire and they just walked right through that. The weight and design seem to prevent most animal destruction...

Is there any other way?
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

UpTheIrons

Re: Feeders and Cattle

Post by UpTheIrons »

We've got sheep and goats on our lease, and they're worse than cows any day. What we've done is run goat wire fences around the feeders with one strand of barbed wire around the top. The barbed wire isn't more than 4-6" higher than the goat wire. It is a pain, since the ground is so rocky, and nigh impossible to drive T-posts, and the 'pens' have to be big enough to not make the deer feel like they're jumping into a cage, but it works. The goat wire is low enough to encourage the deer to come in, but high enough to keep the goats and (5) cows out.

This is what most of our feeders look like:
http://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/shop/p ... ucts_id=25
The 'coon solution is a bit messier. they still try to climb the legs, even with PVC sleeves on them that are supposed to make them fall off. To stop that bad behavior, slather the pipe with Vaseline to keep the critters from getting any purchase with their feet. It usually works pretty well.

The All-Seasons feeders do have provisions for staking the legs to the ground, but that doesn't really help if the cows try to push them over.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I looked at those All Seasons and for the price, I am going to have someone (out by you actually) fabricate one for me. :lol: They've got feet on them that will allow rebar to go through...I figure I can use a t-post driver to get it down two feet or so and then bend them to the ground. We've got good soil up in Llano (not very rocky). My buddies lease in Harper is nothing but a rock quarry from the looks of things, so I'm lucky there... :lol:

I just need to find cattle panels...the cattle already bent my t-posts and removed the barbed wire...so panels are the route I am going to go now. Do you know if D&D carries these?

Topic author
pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

TxLobo wrote:I bought 5 cattle panels for 19.87 each a month ago at Tractor Supply..
I totally forgot about them...Just called the one in Boerne and they've got 'em!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/fe ... RRWidgetID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just need 7' T-Posts so I can have about 3' of it in the ground. haha!

I lost the first battle, but I will win this war! :lol:

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

pbwalker wrote:

Good luck. In my experience, any thing cattle can use to scratch themselves on is living on borrowed time.
TANSTAAFL

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

74novaman wrote:
pbwalker wrote:

Good luck. In my experience, any thing cattle can use to scratch themselves on is living on borrowed time.
Unless you hook up a solar powered fence charger. If you run the wire around the outside of the panels, about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, they will learn very quickly not to rub against it.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

pbwalker wrote:I looked at those All Seasons and for the price, I am going to have someone (out by you actually) fabricate one for me. :lol: They've got feet on them that will allow rebar to go through...I figure I can use a t-post driver to get it down two feet or so and then bend them to the ground. We've got good soil up in Llano (not very rocky). My buddies lease in Harper is nothing but a rock quarry from the looks of things, so I'm lucky there... :lol:

I just need to find cattle panels...the cattle already bent my t-posts and removed the barbed wire...so panels are the route I am going to go now. Do you know if D&D carries these?
Yeah, the All Seasons prices are pretty scary. I called about just a tripod and winch, and they wanted $300 for that alone. Ouch!

I see you found panels already, but D&D usually carries that sort of thing, too. I would think Tractor Supply has them cheaper, though. Saw a huge pile of them the other day here.

Medic218
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Medic218 »

How about a hanging feeder like here....
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 00362&rid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

MedicMan218 wrote:How about a hanging feeder like here....
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 00362&rid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The problem with those is usually finding someplace to hang them, and then trying to keep the coons from getting into the motorworks, especially if you hang it from a tree.

Medic218
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Medic218 »

I thought about the coons but figured there is bound to be some way to keep em out. Let me think on it. I've got an idea but i wanna play with it first
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

How about not using feeders and hunt like a real man?? :biggrinjester: :evil2:

Just teasing...sorry, couldn't resist... :tiphat:

I've never used a feeder so all I've got is a big bag of nothing. :tiphat: Not that I wouldn't if I had the time/money/lease.

Return to “Hunting Photos”