Hunter's Education Course and being a veteran

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Hunter's Education Course and being a veteran

Post by gregthehand »

OK I am supposed to go hunting tomorrow and I was told that I didn't have to take the hunter's education course if I am a veteran. Today somebody told me that is not so. So what is the correct answer? Do I need to bring along my DD-214 (discharge papers) if it is true and I don't have to take the class?
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hunter's Education Course and being a veteran

Post by WildBill »

gregthehand wrote:OK I am supposed to go hunting tomorrow and I was told that I didn't have to take the hunter's education course if I am a veteran. Today somebody told me that is not so. So what is the correct answer? Do I need to bring along my DD-214 (discharge papers) if it is true and I don't have to take the class?
I see an exemption if you were born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, but not for veteran. When were you born?

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publication ... education/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

jester

Post by jester »

According to the link the class is required for those born on or after that date. Older people are the ones exempt.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

Seems like an arbitrary date.

Were people born before Sept. 2, 1971 born with the knowledge of how to hunt safely?

Topic author
gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

I was born in 1982. I guess I will be an observor tomorrow.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

So what this is saying is that prior to that date it is generally considered that you just know how to deal with firearms and hunt. While I completely agree with that assumption I find it sad that we as a nation have drifted so far from our roots and sometimes feel the need to apologize for our country ways.

I'm ranting alot tonight...I should stop. :lol:
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

You can get a one time exemption for hunter's ed, but then you will have to take it the next year before you can get a license.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

dcphoto wrote:Seems like an arbitrary date.

Were people born before Sept. 2, 1971 born with the knowledge of how to hunt safely?
Of course we were! ;-)

I would bet it has something to do with when the law went into effect and grandfathering those who had already been hunting.

I'm not saying I agree... It's just my guess.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Tregs

Post by Tregs »

gregthehand,
No need to observe tomorrow. You can still hunt. Here are the rules.

If born after xxxx, 1971, you "must" have a Hunter's Education card. The course costs $15 and is offered at several ranges and outdoor sports stores, including Bass Pro. Bass Pro Grapevine has a class the second weekend of October (Ithink). It's a 10 hour course over 2 days. 1 day in the classroom and one day outdoors with firearms.

If you're going hunting before the next class, you can still hunt by purchasing a 1 year exemption, called a Deferral. This allows you to hunt the current season without the class, but you must take the course before you hunt next season. You can get the deferral at the time you buy your hunting license or anytime afterward. You can buy it anywhere you buy hunting licenses, including Walmart. It costs $10 and just takes a few minutes.

Good luck hunting tomorrow.
Tregs.

Flattop22

Post by Flattop22 »

Camp Bullis does not abide by the "I was born prior to September 1972". You will need a hunter safety course to hunt on Camp Bullis. I don't know if this is true on other military installation.

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

I am convinced that someone in the Legislature/TPWD had a kid born on 9/1/1971 and got the date set to 9/2/1971 to exempt that individual. Makes as much sense as most of the garbage that comes out of Austin.

ETA: Of course, it may have something to do with the license's effective date being 9/1, but why that year?
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Crossfire wrote:You can get a one time exemption for hunter's ed, but then you will have to take it the next year before you can get a license.
:iagree:

Well worth it...

and when you do the Hunters Ed class, do it online first...that way, actual classroom time is around 5 hours.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Question: "Of course, it may have something to do with the license's effective date being 9/1, but why that year?"

When the TX Legislature passes new laws, they often go into effect on Sept. 1 or January 1. The hunter education requirement was passed in the late 1980s when they (I believe the 1987 Legislature) needed to pick a "cut-off date" and it was determined to be anyone who was not at least 17 years old on Sept. 1, 1988. Colorado has had for many, many years a cut-off date of "born on or after January 1, 1949". Some, but not all federal lands, require hunter education regardless of what year someone was born. The "deferral" option mentioned above was not a part of the original Texas legislation, but was implemented by TPWD a few years ago.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

OK. That makes sense. Thanks!
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Why yes, we were. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Hunting Photos”