Hog hunt - Dec 27 2012

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Hog hunt - Dec 27 2012

Post by GeekwithaGun »

We were able to get a semi-guided hog hunt with North Texas Pig Hunting dot com in Perrin, TX (between Mineral Wells and Jacksboro)

It was 23 degrees when we got there at 4:30 am, my nephew from Michigan was using a bow and me a rifle so were were put in different locations on the property (4000 acre ranch), the bow only portion was 120 acres with only 2 tree stands about 18 yards from the feeder. We each got dropped off around 6am and the feeders went off at 7am. We were hopeful for some hogs but neither of us saw any in the morning, we did see lots of deer, there were 6 does in my sights for about 20 minutes of the 4 hours.

We didn't know that we could also get deer on the day lease or I would've taken one of them I saw. My nephew only had a 5 day exotics since he was out of state and didn't want to pay the out of state fee for deer.

Wen back out around 2pm, I didn't see any hogs all day, I saw some deer and was going to take one since i have the license for it (now that I knew I could), but was given a size guide and they seemed too small. In hindsight, I could've taken one of them as it was large enough, but waited for a larger doe and hogs, but I had nothing for the day.

My nephew was in the archery only section and had all kinds of deer come in, but couldn't take one. Then just after dark the hogs came into his feeder and was able to get one of the first group. A second group came in later and he shot another. We tracked the blood trail and found one of the arrows on the trail, it was from the second hog, then we found the first hog and the arrow next to it. Both arrows went through and were found intact (a big plus for him).

Here's the hog we found (approx 120 lbs) and my nephew
First Hog
First Hog
NRA Life Member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hog hunt - Dec 27 2012

Post by Beiruty »

Not bad for first hunt. Did you have night vision on your rifles??
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Beiruty wrote:Not bad for first hunt. Did you have night vision on your rifles??
no night vision, they had green lights under the feeders that are motion controlled. Using a standard scope you can see pretty well, I wish it were just a bit brighter. the nephew video taped his first kill using a standard HD video camera, had a "tracer" for the arrow (glow in the dark) so you can see the arrow flying and hit the pig. Was pretty cool to watch.

I went with 60 rounds of ammo and came home with 60 rounds of ammo :cryin
NRA Life Member

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

Nice pig there.....and more importantly, great memories!!!!!!
Chuckybrown

gclooney

Post by gclooney »

Best hog hunting ever consists of a 4x4 truck, spotlight, and a gunner in the bed.

Return to “Hunting Photos”