Pig caught in a snare

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
johncanfield
Posts in topic: 3

Pig caught in a snare

Post by johncanfield »

Dear wife and I have been at my brother-in-law's ranch for the last couple of days visiting, making another run at sighting in my Bushmaster (successful) and as usual, pig hunting. No pigs on my BIL's ranch so we hunted on his neighbor's ranch at dusk.

Didn't see any pigs running around but we did find this guy caught in a leg snare. A couple of hollow points from my M&P 9mm compact handgun sent him to a happier place :evil2: . The snare was so tight we had to whack the pig's foot off to retrieve the snare.
Attachments
Pig down!
Pig down!
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pig caught in a snare

Post by jmra »

Bacon!
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Tx_XDm

Post by Tx_XDm »

Did you reset the snare at this spot.
CHL since 09/21/2011
NRA Member
TSRA Member

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by powerboatr »

neighbor got three last week
we reset traps on sunday hoping for a few more

I smoked about 20 lbs of ribs today

yum yum yum
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Tx_XDm wrote:Did you reset the snare at this spot.
Oh, sorry, I just got back to my thread. We were on a friend's ranch so I assume the snare went back to the same place. Snares work the best where you see the pigs going under fences - it's real obvious where their routes are.
powerboatr wrote:neighbor got three last week
we reset traps on sunday hoping for a few more
I smoked about 20 lbs of ribs today
yum yum yum
Ha - I took the easy way out - mine came from Costco - smoked three baby-back racks a couple of days ago. Oh they were good.

nyj
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nyj »

That's cute. Using a snare to put the animal in distress, then dispatching him with a less than sufficient load for the job.

Topic author
johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Huh? :confused5 First off, I didn't place the snare, but I'm very glad it caught a wild hog. You apparently don't understand the problem with the hogs. The pistol rounds were very effective in dispatching the hog, I love wildlife and do not want to see any of God's creatures suffer.

RJGold
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RJGold »

I've killed a bunch of pigs with 22 mag shots behind the ears...

They didn't suffer, I assure you...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

nyj
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nyj »

RJGold wrote:I've killed a bunch of pigs with 22 mag shots behind the ears...

Nothing wrong with that. A "couple of shots" isn't my idea of humane dispatching.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

nyj wrote:

Nothing wrong with that. A "couple of shots" isn't my idea of humane dispatching.
Have you ever shot a pig?
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

we got five more this morning
one HUGE FAT momma pig and four piglets

all were dispatched humanely with one shot to the skull from a 357
I expect to get em back on thursday

momma pig had to weigh near 250 by the way the jeep sank in the rear
and the piglets were 50-60 lbs each
all were in the same trap, eating corn and strawberry jello mix
pics shortly
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

nyj wrote:

I don't know the details of the "couple of shots" but I've had pigs (and deer) run 100+ yards after a clean heart shot (with a rifle not a bow). Once I dressed them, I doscovered they didn't have a heart left but still managed to run 100+ yards. In some cases, If I had a chance for a second shot, I took it.

I've also skinned a ton of pigs (I used to work at a taxidermist). I have found slugs and bullet fragments in the shield that males developed (i.e. they were hit with what should have been a kill shot but the bullet didn't penetrate. I have also seen them with skull fractures and obvious damage to their heads but the wounds had healed and they were later killed with another shot (I'm talking about head wounds that were completely healed before they were shot again).

Best I can tell, they're tough little boogers and not always kill-able with a single shot (even a well placed shot).

My two cents...
Take Care.
RJ

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

nyj wrote:

One other humorous addition to this thread. I hunt with a guy who was a Long Range Recon guy in Desert Storm. He is probably the best shot I know. He has a habit of shooting his deer and pigs twice. I don't know why, he most often drops them where they stand with a head shot but can't seem to resist a second head shot if they are twitching.

He sat in the stand with me this year on our annual outing since he flew in from DC and didn't have his rifle or a way to take meat back with him. I shot a doe in the neck and dropped her where she stood. She was on the ground bleeding out and in her death convulsions. He whispered in my ear, "...put another one in her noggin...". I complied and that seemed to satisfy him. She was on her way out with what I consider to be a "humane dispatching" but he couldn't stand the fact she was still moving.
:fire

Our running joke is to ask him why he shot again, he normally replies that the critter was moving, to which we reply that falling doesn't actually qualify as moving...
"rlol"
Take Care.
RJ

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Why do all of you insist on killing these defenseless creatures when you can go to the meat market and buy your meat like other people?

:biggrinjester:

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

anygunanywhere wrote:Why do all of you insist on killing these defenseless creatures when you can go to the meat market and buy your meat like other people?

:biggrinjester:

Anygunanywhere
Hmmm...

Never really thought about that. Makes sense though since those pork ribs in the plastic at the grocery store were created like that all wrapped up in plastic and never had to go rooting around. I reckon the whole fryer in the plastic bag gave birth to the leg and thigh quarters in the plastic bags in the next bin as well.

I guess I'll stop shooting critters and just start shooting beer cans and bottles of water...

"rlol"
Take Care.
RJ

Return to “Hunting Photos”