Never hunted but thinking about it - advice?

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
anomie
Posts in topic: 7

Never hunted but thinking about it - advice?

Post by anomie »

I grew up out in the desert in California and never really had an opportunity to hunt. I've fished and gutted/cleaned/cooked my catch a couple times, but I wouldn't really call myself a fisherman, or even particularly outdoorsy, either.

I've been thinking that hunting is something I may want to do a time or two in my life. If I go hunting I'd want it to be useful (hogs? Are deer under-predated? Can I use the meat or give it to someone who can, etc), and I wouldn't want it to be "touristy" (if I'm not going to learn to dress/clean etc then why bother, since that's what I want to learn/get out of it)

I figure there's a board full of nice people who hunt here so I thought I'd ask advice - any thoughts you have, etc. I haven't decided if I'm really going to do it yet or if I think I'd probably end up as a bumbling-idiot-re-hunting, but if you were a guy like me but magically knew what you know about hunting, what would you hunt, where would tell someone to go to learn things, etc.

I have an AR, if I do go hunting I'd probably use that, right now it's just iron sights, but I have a scope I could mount.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Never hunted but thinking about it - advice?

Post by anygunanywhere »

Hunting in Texas can be expensive. What public land there is is often full of strange folks and game wardens tracking those strange folk.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
anomie

Post by anomie »

I once saw a game warden pull a guy out of a wooded canyon behind the office building I work at. That wooded canyon is surrounded by suburban homes, businesses, etc (I don't know if it's legal to hunt there, I'd assume discharging a firearm would be illegal, I have no idea about a crossbow - but I think this was out-of-season, we get *herds* of deer in that parking lot after nightfall) ... the guy was dressed in camo and had a crossbow.

The game warden cuffed him and put him in his truck - and we saw a truck that I assume was owned by the guy who was arrested get towed.

If I do go I want it to all be straight - I'm assuming I'd need to take a hunter safety course, get a license, etc - and I'd want someone with me that knew what they were doing (which is really a pretty big barrier, as I don't really know anyone who hunts, or at least, who makes it known that they hunt, not directly in real life that I know well, anyway)
Last edited by anomie on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

For bird hunting, there are reasonable club leases (duck, goose, dove) available. We hunt on Coastal Prairie properties (you can google them).

For deer and hog, anygun is right. It's pretty tough to find public land to hunt on.

There are club leases available for deer and pig but I have not hunted them and can't speak about what to expect there.

As far as deer being under-predated, I'd say based on the 10 that crossed in front of my wife and I on Sunday afternoon at 4PM in our neighborhood, yes, they are under-predated...

Good luck...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Can't really offer advice about where to hunt. Others here have pointed out options. You should know that if you were born on or after September 2, 1971 you'll have to attend and pass Texas Hunter Education to get a hunting license. You can get a one time waiver by paying a fee but it has some severe restrictions for hunting with the waiver and I believe the waiver doesn't apply on public hunts sponsored by TPWD.
There are drawings for public hunts on the TPWD website here:http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/
You also may want to join some hunting forums. Good luck and welcome to Texas Hunting!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Kiowa Scout

Post by Kiowa Scout »

anomie, where are you located? PM me. I can give you some suggestions. BTW, I am a hunter's education instructor.
"They all handle the sword and are expert in war; every man has his sword on his thigh, that fear be not excited in the night" Song of Solomon 3:8

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

I your case I would just do a guided hunt.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Fellow California transplant here. Contact our member chuckybrown. Here is the last PM he sent me:
chuckybrown wrote:Was going through some old threads....read about you being skunked.

If you want to go next winter (Feb-May) let me know. We can get it on the calendar.

http://www.reedpropertymanagement.com/info.php?pnum=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll make sure you have a good time, and most likely put you on hogs.
They will also teach you how to dress out the animals you take, and will help you with the preparation of the meat (sausage, etc.). I've been fortunate enough to have friends invite me into their leases or properties, and I've enjoyed every minute of it, whether or not I actually bagged any game at the time. But if I were doing it all over again, I would start with a guided hunt like chuckybrown's. I'm still thinking about doing it......with my son this time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
anomie

Post by anomie »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Fellow California transplant here.
Oh, hi there :) I grew up in the Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree/29 Palms area, if you know where that is.
The Annoyed Man wrote:They will also teach you how to dress out the animals you take, and will help you with the preparation of the meat (sausage, etc.). I've been fortunate enough to have friends invite me into their leases or properties, and I've enjoyed every minute of it, whether or not I actually bagged any game at the time. But if I were doing it all over again, I would start with a guided hunt like chuckybrown's. I'm still thinking about doing it......with my son this time.
Something like that sounds like what I want to do. I've been reading a little both here and at other forums (like the one Carry-a-Kimber posted) and I think what I meant by 'not touristy' in the OP is better describe by 'not canned + somebody teaches me dressing etc', so if it's guided and meets that it sounds about perfect (there's no way I'd just take a class and get a license and just go somewhere by myself to hunt)

I'm going to go figure out when I can take a Texas Hunter Education class, get out to the rifle range some more, and keep reading up. It may be a bit before I actually do it so I might as well find out everything I can.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 3

Post by baldeagle »

I started working on a spreadsheet last night that contains a lot of information about available hog hunts. Today, while working on it some more, I followed this link - http://www.texasdayhunts.com/index.php? ... 8&cityid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has hog hunts all over Texas with pricing information, location and even ratings on the hunts by people who have used them.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

baldeagle wrote:I started working on a spreadsheet last night that contains a lot of information about available hog hunts. Today, while working on it some more, I followed this link - http://www.texasdayhunts.com/index.php? ... 8&cityid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site has hog hunts all over Texas with pricing information, location and even ratings on the hunts by people who have used them.
Hmmm, is that "hunting" or is that "shooting"? Inquiring minds, you know....just askin'. :headscratch

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

anomie wrote:I have an AR, if I do go hunting I'd probably use that, right now it's just iron sights, but I have a scope I could mount.
One thing to be aware of: last I heard, .223 / 5.56 was too small to legally hunt anything bigger than a coyote or rabbit with in Texas. The minimum caliber is (or at least was, when I lived in Texas) .243 for "medium to large game," due to the .223's relative lack of efficacy against these animals. It'll kill them all right, but they may run a LONG way from where they're shot, and die lost somewhere. This may have changed, but I doubt it. You'll probably want a decent bolt-action rifle, .243 or larger.

Hogs are vermin, though, and IIRC, can be shot with just about anything, up to and including an F-250 with a brush bar.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

JSThane wrote:
anomie wrote:I have an AR, if I do go hunting I'd probably use that, right now it's just iron sights, but I have a scope I could mount.
One thing to be aware of: last I heard, .223 / 5.56 was too small to legally hunt anything bigger than a coyote or rabbit with in Texas. The minimum caliber is (or at least was, when I lived in Texas) .243 for "medium to large game," due to the .223's relative lack of efficacy against these animals. It'll kill them all right, but they may run a LONG way from where they're shot, and die lost somewhere. This may have changed, but I doubt it. You'll probably want a decent bolt-action rifle, .243 or larger.

Hogs are vermin, though, and IIRC, can be shot with just about anything, up to and including an F-250 with a brush bar.
223 is perfectly legal to use on whitetail deer in Texas.

jmra

Post by jmra »

JSThane wrote:

Any centerfire cartridge can be used to hunt deer in Texas. Rimfire cartridges can not be used for deer.

Interesting article about deer hunting and the .223 round. (Personally, my family hunts big game with anything from a 243 to a 300 Winmag, but I know plenty of people who have taken deer just as effectively with the .223. I've even seen a woman take down a buck with a .22 hornet.)

http://www.americanhunter.org/mobile/bl ... 670&cid=56

And here is the reg:
"white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber."
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations ... unt/means/
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Hunting Photos”