Called - 26 lb. Bobcat (thermal video)

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Double Naught Spy
Posts in topic: 4

Called - 26 lb. Bobcat (thermal video)

Post by Double Naught Spy »

[video][/video]

This is the first cat I can say that I called with any real success. I have managed to stop one from going away, but not ever really managed to get one closer. There is a lot of calling between segments when I thought the cat was gone (and video not running). Eventually she gave me a clear opportunity to shoot.

Nice cat, good condition. Is being tanned into a nice pelt.

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Called - 26 lb. Bobcat (thermal video)

Post by howdy »

I guess I missed it. What was the reason for killing this bobcat?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Double Naught Spy

I do hog and predator control as part of a wildlife management plan for a buddy's property.

I actually don't shoot coyotes or bobcats on my place, though that may be a future issue for qualifying for a wildlife exemption.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

How did you shoot the video? Does your FLIR have a recording capability? What model are you using?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

howdy wrote:I guess I missed it. What was the reason for killing this bobcat?
If you had watched the video you would have seen the introductory scroll stating "hog and predator control".

Bobcats are predators and will take sheep, calves, goats & deer.

Good job OP.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Topic author
Double Naught Spy

VMI77 wrote:How did you shoot the video? Does your FLIR have a recording capability? What model are you using?
I am running and Armasight Zeus 3 thermal scope with a FLIR thermal core (hence 'FLIR' in the display), not to be confused with a FLIR brand scope. I really like the Armasight features over the FLIR features, hence why I mention this.

With that said, just about all of the commercial thermal scopes and digital night vision scope have a video-out feature that allows you to run a line to a digital video recorder. I think I had a loose connection, hence the loss of image during recoil (or my DVR is dying). The DVR is the box mounted forward of the scope on the side of the handguard.

There are a variety of DVRs on the market that range in price from about $50 with no sound (Angel Eye) to $400+ for a Lawmate. I am currently running a $<200 MDVR from Ultimate Night Vision, a Dallas NV and thermal vendor and rental company (http://www.ultimatenightvision.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Bobcats are predators and will take sheep, calves, goats & deer.
Right Jim. The mgmt program I am helping with is a wildlife program. So I am acting as the landowner's agent to limit carnivore activity on the property primarily for the purpose of allowing the deer, turkey, and quail populations to have a better opportunity to flourish. The primary targeted species are hogs, coyotes, and bobcats.

The first bobcat I took there (no video) was one that I watched stalk two fawns.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

People do not understand why predators are killed since they have never experienced losing cattle, chickens, goats etc. When it costs you money week after week the predators have to go.

Topic author
Double Naught Spy

And I picked up a 2nd and larger bobcat, a Tom this time, on the same property a few days ago.
[video][/video]
Last edited by Double Naught Spy on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

mrvmax wrote:People do not understand why predators are killed since they have never experienced losing cattle, chickens, goats etc. When it costs you money week after week the predators have to go.
I hear some residential areas of Travis County are having big problems with wild cats attacking and killing pets.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:
mrvmax wrote:People do not understand why predators are killed since they have never experienced losing cattle, chickens, goats etc. When it costs you money week after week the predators have to go.
I hear some residential areas of Travis County are having big problems with wild cats attacking and killing pets.
Our neighbor's dog was eaten by coyotes a while ago. I live in Richardson, so not exactly country.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

baldeagle wrote:
Redneck_Buddha wrote:
Our neighbor's dog was eaten by coyotes a while ago. I live in Richardson, so not exactly country.
I have seen coyotes in my neighborhood early in the morning (0330 early). When their food or water sources dwindle they will move into places they would not normally go. A friend has had coyotes kill his chickens, ducks and goats. He has gotten a couple of them but they are pretty quick and come in the wee hours so they are hard a bit elusive.

Return to “Hunting Photos”