Shot a Few Pigs

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 5

Shot a Few Pigs

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Went to the ranch last weekend and these hogs kept scaring off the deer I was after. I let them have a pass the first evening but they came back the next morning so I let em have it. There was a group of 8 and I got 4, 2 singles and a double. Shoulda taken my 308 AR to the stand that morning and woulda gotten a few more maybe. Oh well, 6.5 Creedmoor did the trick.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Shot a Few Pigs

Post by Richbirdhunter »

That's awesome!
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

I am very jealous!!! :cryin
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

Mmmmm, bacon.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

There are so many videos out there where, after the first shot, the rest take off running willy nilly in all directions. Did you observe this? Is that a suppressor and did that prevent them from running willy nilly? How long did it take you to bag those four?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Yes it's a suppressor. First shot took out 2, they scattered but didn't run, prolly went 50 feet in either direction. Shot the third one and they scattered a bit more, shot the forth one and they boogied. I'd say maybe 10-15 seconds from first shot to last.

TomV

Post by TomV »

Very nice
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

I sure hope you had help cleaning them, assuming you harvested them.

While, cleaning them is not all that difficult, it (for me anyway) takes a lot of time.

Topic author
Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Abraham wrote:I sure hope you had help cleaning them, assuming you harvested them.

While, cleaning them is not all that difficult, it (for me anyway) takes a lot of time.
They weren't but about 40lbs each. Left one whole and took the straps and hams from the other 3. Took an hour or so.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Haven't been out in the country long and am not familiar with hog activities. I've seen a bunch, mostly babies, within a half mile or so of my property but haven't spotted any on my property (but then I'm own 43 acres of brushy land with lots of trees so I've no idea what the hog population on my property actually is). My dogs go nuts sometimes but every time I've managed to see what they're barking at it has been deer. My question is this: do hogs tear up the ground and dig good sized "pot holes?" Lately I've been finding places dug up so deep in the area where I ordinarily mow that I can't even drive the mower over it. It's been dry the last couple of months so nothing new....but seems a lot of digging took place while the ground was soaked.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

Just curious if you were scouting deer, hunting non-indigenous species of deer, or if I missed some form of deer season that happens in July...???

Nice work on the pigs. I've witnessed a 2 for 1 shot before (both head shots) but getting 4 in one outing is nice work!!!

Thanks for sharing...
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Went to the ranch last weekend and these hogs kept scaring off the deer I was after. I let them have a pass the first evening but they came back the next morning so I let em have it. There was a group of 8 and I got 4, 2 singles and a double. Shoulda taken my 308 AR to the stand that morning and woulda gotten a few more maybe. Oh well, 6.5 Creedmoor did the trick.
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

VMI77,

From your description, yes, you've got feral hogs digging up your land.

Until I had a wire fence put up, my yard was regularly torn up by these critters.

After their depredations, the west side of my yard would look like someone came through with a root plow.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Thanks. That's what I suspected and probably what had the dogs going nuts when they were let out at night. When we first moved to our current location there was no sign of hogs...never even saw any in the area. That seems to have changed in the past year.

We've been trying to fence in around 1-2 acres to give the dogs more room to run than they have now but finding someone who builds fences to actually show up has been impossible.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Good for you! Nice shooting to eradicate some of those little terrain demolition teams. A fellow I hunt with got tired of trying to shoot them all and let a trapper come in. The trapper sells them to the organic market bunch as free range pork!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Hunting Photos”