Hunting in weather

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Hunting in weather

Postby Richbirdhunter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:20 am

I'm looking for advice, I've done most of my big game hunting in Colorado and I've hunted in plenty of snow storms, I've been planning to go deer hunting Friday and they're calling for a stormy morning and a rainy afternoon. My question is, will the hunting shutdown in the rain? My thinking is yes.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.


Greybeard
Senior Member
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 pm
Location: Denton County
Contact:

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby Greybeard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:30 am

Your thinking is right. In the rain, the deer here just want to hunker down and not move around. Of course, if you are very motivated, you could always go "walking and stalking" in the rain yaself. :lol:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"
24/7 Independent Practice Plans for local LEOs and Texas CHL holders


J.R.@A&M
Senior Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby J.R.@A&M » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:07 am

Richbirdhunter wrote:I'm looking for advice, I've done most of my big game hunting in Colorado and I've hunted in plenty of snow storms, I've been planning to go deer hunting Friday and they're calling for a stormy morning and a rainy afternoon. My question is, will the hunting shutdown in the rain? My thinking is yes.


What Graybeard said. If you're waiting in a blind, you will not see deer moving around much in the rain. You might, however, see a lot of action right when the rain stops, and all those deer stand up, shake like a dog, and go grab a delayed snack.
“[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country.” Life and Times of Frederick Douglass


TomV
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:11 pm
Location: Plano
Contact:

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby TomV » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:15 am

The rut is on. At least in North Texas it is. Bucks have ONE thing on their mind.

If it's raining HARD, they will probably lay up. If it's just drizzling, it won't phase them at all.

User avatar

txglock21
Senior Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:39 am
Location: Garland, TX.

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby txglock21 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:08 pm

I planned on going Thursday and Friday also, because this is the only time I can take a doe where I hunt. They are calling for 100% chance of rain both days. In my past experiences, almost always the deer will bed down during rain. I did have a small 4 pointer walk up on me opening weekend while it was a heavy mist, AKA sprinkling. I probably won't go because of the rain now.

Edited to add: I have killed a nice mule deer in a blinding snowstorm in Montana.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF


Robert
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 am

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby Robert » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:20 pm

I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby Lynyrd » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.


Big 8, in April???
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22858
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby The Annoyed Man » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Lynyrd wrote:
Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.

Big 8, in April???

Exactly. Did your dad also teach you to hunt legally?
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


WTR
Senior Member
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby WTR » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:22 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.

Big 8, in April???

Exactly. Did your dad also teach you to hunt legally?



He does say past "OPENING" weekend.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22858
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby The Annoyed Man » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:24 pm

WTR wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.

Big 8, in April???

Exactly. Did your dad also teach you to hunt legally?

He does say past "OPENING" weekend.

I guess I didn't see that. My bad. :oops:
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


WTR
Senior Member
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby WTR » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
WTR wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.

Big 8, in April???

Exactly. Did your dad also teach you to hunt legally?

He does say past "OPENING" weekend.

I guess I didn't see that. My bad. :oops:


I do that all the time!


Robert
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 am

Re: Hunting in weather

Postby Robert » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Wow. Talk about misreading a post.


Return to “Hunting Photos”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest