Hunting in weather

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Hunting in weather

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I'm looking for advice, I've done most of my big game hunting in Colorado and I've hunted in plenty of snow storms, I've been planning to go deer hunting Friday and they're calling for a stormy morning and a rainy afternoon. My question is, will the hunting shutdown in the rain? My thinking is yes.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Greybeard

Re: Hunting in weather

Post by Greybeard »

Your thinking is right. In the rain, the deer here just want to hunker down and not move around. Of course, if you are very motivated, you could always go "walking and stalking" in the rain yaself. :lol:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I'm looking for advice, I've done most of my big game hunting in Colorado and I've hunted in plenty of snow storms, I've been planning to go deer hunting Friday and they're calling for a stormy morning and a rainy afternoon. My question is, will the hunting shutdown in the rain? My thinking is yes.
What Graybeard said. If you're waiting in a blind, you will not see deer moving around much in the rain. You might, however, see a lot of action right when the rain stops, and all those deer stand up, shake like a dog, and go grab a delayed snack.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

TomV

Post by TomV »

The rut is on. At least in North Texas it is. Bucks have ONE thing on their mind.

If it's raining HARD, they will probably lay up. If it's just drizzling, it won't phase them at all.
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

I planned on going Thursday and Friday also, because this is the only time I can take a doe where I hunt. They are calling for 100% chance of rain both days. In my past experiences, almost always the deer will bed down during rain. I did have a small 4 pointer walk up on me opening weekend while it was a heavy mist, AKA sprinkling. I probably won't go because of the rain now.

Edited to add: I have killed a nice mule deer in a blinding snowstorm in Montana.
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

Robert
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Robert »

I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.
Big 8, in April???
Do what you say you're gonna do.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Lynyrd wrote:
Robert wrote:I used to think the same way. Then this past opening weekend, I was sitting in my stand with it raining. I was playing on Facebook. When I looked up from my phone, a big 8 was standing 22 yards in front of me. My gun was leaning in the far corner of the stand. I didn't have time to put my phone down and grab my gun. All I could do is watch him walk away. I will always sit in the stand rain or shine from now on. My dad always told me that hunting in the rain was pointless.
Big 8, in April???
Exactly. Did your dad also teach you to hunt legally?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
Big 8, in April???

He does say past "OPENING" weekend.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WTR wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
Big 8, in April???
I guess I didn't see that. My bad. :oops:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
WTR wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
Big 8, in April???
I guess I didn't see that. My bad. :oops:
I do that all the time!

Robert

Post by Robert »

Wow. Talk about misreading a post.

Return to “Hunting Photos”