First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
trashysquid
Junior Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby trashysquid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:26 pm

And I was fortunate enough to be able to harvest this fine buck!!

Image

I couldn't believe my luck...we got out to the blind, and within an hour I saw three small does and this buck. He just moseyed on out like he owned the place (he probably did), and since it was early in the season he wasn't looking for cover. Used my own handloads too, so that was an extra measure of satisfaction. He was 93 pounds dressed...about right for South Texas deer. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hunting to all!


Weg
Senior Member
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:06 pm

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby Weg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Nice buck!

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22863
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Is that an entrance or exit wound? Did you hit him at slightly upward angle from the left side, or slightly downward from the right side? Caliber?
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Topic author
trashysquid
Junior Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby trashysquid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:49 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is that an entrance or exit wound? Did you hit him at slightly upward angle from the left side, or slightly downward from the right side? Caliber?


That's an exit wound...shooting downwards from the blind striking him on the right side, lower shoulder, about 100 yards away. Caliber is .270 WIN, using Hornady SSTs over IMR4064. I thought I missed him because I saw the bullet hit the dirt behind him, but he expired about 30 feet from impact.

User avatar

Topic author
trashysquid
Junior Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby trashysquid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Weg wrote:Nice buck!


Thank you, sir!

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22863
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby The Annoyed Man » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:54 pm

trashy squid wrote:....he expired about 30 feet from impact.

That's about as close to DRT as you can get without yanking the rug right out from under him. Well done. He looks good and healthy. I'll bet he'll be a tasty son of a gun too.
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts: 8360
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: Allen, Texas

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby Beiruty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:21 pm

Very nice. Mount him and enjoy the meat.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment member

User avatar

Topic author
trashysquid
Junior Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby trashysquid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Beiruty wrote:Very nice. Mount him and enjoy the meat.



Way ahead of you! Mount should be ready in about 5 months. And the pan sausage, salami and snack sticks are fantastic!


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby Richbirdhunter » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Great job
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.


TomV
Senior Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:11 pm
Location: Plano
Contact:

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby TomV » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:04 pm

Well done. Congrats! :cheers2:


chuck j
Senior Member
Posts: 970
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 12:44 pm

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby chuck j » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:45 pm

Proud for ya ! Nice one !

User avatar

Topic author
trashysquid
Junior Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby trashysquid » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:38 am

Thanks to all for the kind comments! I'm really stoked!!


Countryside
Banned
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby Countryside » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:50 am

I took my wife hunting for the first time. I showed her the basics, and then took her to her spot which was about 400 yards from me. I had no sooner had gotten to my spot than I heard her shoot. Unable to believe she had already seen something so fast I began walking back toward her. From a distance I could see a horse laying on the ground with a saddle on it. My wife had her rifle pointed toward a man who was next to her on his knees. As I got closer I could hear him saying "Yes, mam...yes, mam...that's your deer. If you'll just let me get my saddle off of him you can have him!"


MeMelYup
Senior Member
Posts: 1867
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby MeMelYup » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:56 am

Countryside wrote:I took my wife hunting for the first time. I showed her the basics, and then took her to her spot which was about 400 yards from me. I had no sooner had gotten to my spot than I heard her shoot. Unable to believe she had already seen something so fast I began walking back toward her. From a distance I could see a horse laying on the ground with a saddle on it. My wife had her rifle pointed toward a man who was next to her on his knees. As I got closer I could hear him saying "Yes, mam...yes, mam...that's your deer. If you'll just let me get my saddle off of him you can have him!"

You writing stories like that is possibly why you need to have your wife 400 yards away from you when she has a rifle.


Countryside
Banned
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:59 pm

Re: First Time Hunting in Six Years...

Postby Countryside » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:04 am

MeMelYup wrote:
Countryside wrote:I took my wife hunting for the first time. I showed her the basics, and then took her to her spot which was about 400 yards from me. I had no sooner had gotten to my spot than I heard her shoot. Unable to believe she had already seen something so fast I began walking back toward her. From a distance I could see a horse laying on the ground with a saddle on it. My wife had her rifle pointed toward a man who was next to her on his knees. As I got closer I could hear him saying "Yes, mam...yes, mam...that's your deer. If you'll just let me get my saddle off of him you can have him!"

You writing stories like that is possibly why you need to have your wife 400 yards away from you when she has a rifle.


:lol: ;-)


Return to “Hunting Photos”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests