African Water Buck

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
tlt
Posts in topic: 6

African Water Buck

Post by tlt »

The setting for my adventure was just slightly north of the Tropic of Capricorn in the Limpopo region of South Africa. This is the same area where you will find the Kruger national park. When I say, the outfit I chose was well organized, and professional, I cannot stress that enough. It was important to me, to actually hunt, rather than shoot game, and their family owned business has been engaged in conservation, ethical hunting and anti-poaching efforts for generations. With that said, I had the trip of a lifetime thanks to Freddie, Fritz, family and staff. If you are considering a true African experience, food and accommodations, for sight seeing, hunting with bow or rifle, I highly recommend the guys at African Trophy Pursuit. http://africantrophypursuit.com/ or visit their facebook page at facebook.com/africantrophypursuit. If you are interesting in booking with them, drop me a message, and I'll share more experiences and information with them. All in all my experience was a 10 out of 10.

After a morning of tracking a Wildebeast, witnessing to bucks locking horns and fighting for about 15 minutes we spotted this beautiful Water Buck, and we set off for it. After a lot of work, I got it. What a wonderful experience. Thank You again guys.

My friend got a wonderful trophy.

Saw a lot of game along the way, too much to post.

It was an experience of a lifetime I can't say enough how great these folks are.

Company youtube video

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: African Water Buck

Post by misterlarry »

Congrats! Were you both using your own rifles? What did you use? Noticed the cans and wondered what to local laws are pertaining to suppressors. Thanks for the post.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

From having read all of Peter Hathaway Capstick's African stories, if I remember correctly, he said African Water Buck were inedible.

True?

If so, can you tell why or was he incorrect?

Thanks!

Topic author
tlt

Post by tlt »

While visiting, the meals were all African meals. I did have Wildebeast lasagna, which was amazing. I never refused a meal in South Africa, nor did I ever have a bad meal there, particularly with Freddie's wife's cooking. I also contacted the guys with your specific question about edibility and the guys said they've prepared my buck for serving at the lodge, and it will be delicious.

The question about edibility was asked, while after rushing the game for processing to ensure nothing is wasted. The 3 local skinners quickly skinned it first, before dressing it out. Upon further research I found this mention on it, which sort of confirms how it was properly and quickly processed. I did ask at the time why, and the short answer matches it below. I would note, while skinning, the skin was very thick, nearly an inch at the neck and shoulders, gradually thinning.

Waterbuck meat is good and makes excellent biltong. It is the skin and the oil on the skin and hair that are the problem. When the animal is skinned make sure that it is done by at least two people. One person holds the skind and makes sure the hair or anything that has touched the hair never comes in contact with the meat. The other guy just cuts the skin away from the meat and must be carfull never to touch the outside of the skin or hair. If any of the strong smelling oil gets onto the meat it contaminates a large area of the meat which will now taste terrible. (courtesy; http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthr ... -Waterbuck )

We used rifles with cans attached, supplied by the outfitter. It is possible to bring your own rifles, bow, etc. but there is a lot of paperwork involved. I didn't want to risk any issues, and then haul around a rifle for the rest of the trip. The rifle was 30.06 with hand loads. I believe that suppressors are used to not stress out game for miles and miles around. We had a "get together" with a large number of neighboring farms, and they are all basically running the same setup, 30.06 bolt, scoped and suppressed. I will find out what if any regulations there are. I know it is a process here, as I also have a couple. Guns and Ammunition are highly regulated in South Africa.

Topic author
tlt

Post by tlt »

Thanks Andy, it was an incredible experience.

Freddie will be in the Houston area at the end of February if anyone was interested in a get together to answer questions, etc. about their operation. He's meeting clients there. Let me know, and I'll get contact information, coordinate, etc. I would say Andy, I truly got the full experience, and it was amazing. The guys have invested heavily in game, and are well stocked. The way the operation is run, as you observe it, it becomes pretty obvious they have a passion for doing it right.
Last edited by tlt on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I don't guess you're having any of them mounted. Seems it would be very expensive for one.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Was it super expensive trip?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

tlt wrote:Thanks Andy, it was an incredible experience. I am glad to see others have also been to the region.
AndyC is less "been to the region" than he is "from the region". :mrgreen:

Andy has explained SA gun laws to me several times, and some of it seems incredibly restrictive, and some of it seems extremely libertarian.....the suppressors being an example.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
tlt

Post by tlt »

The Wall wrote:I don't guess you're having any of them mounted. Seems it would be very expensive for one.
I am doing a proper shoulder mount. It would be a terrible shame to not do it properly. They regularly ship trophies to the US.

The trip was not incredibly expensive, their rates are very reasonable for what you get, he will customize a package to your needs. Also they have activities for the family, etc. as you desire.

Sorry, I missed that AndyC was from the area.

I would like to take him to a Rodeo or something around the 25th, any recommendations for what is going on in the area?

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

What a great adventure
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

allisji

Post by allisji »

tlt wrote:
The Wall wrote:I don't guess you're having any of them mounted. Seems it would be very expensive for one.
I am doing a proper shoulder mount. It would be a terrible shame to not do it properly. They regularly ship trophies to the US.

The trip was not incredibly expensive, their rates are very reasonable for what you get, he will customize a package to your needs. Also they have activities for the family, etc. as you desire.

Sorry, I missed that AndyC was from the area.

I would like to take him to a Rodeo or something around the 25th, any recommendations for what is going on in the area?

Houston Rodeo kicks off March 1, however, there are some activities that will begin on the 25th, such as the World Championship BBQ Cookoff I believe.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

tlt,

How long was your trip in total days, including travel to and from, plus the actual time spent in the bush?

Considering all costs, from miscellaneous to the most costly, was your grand total cost in excess of $15,000.00, and if you willing, cost of mounts.

If more than $15.000.00, how much more, ah, if you're willing to divulge.

Thanks!

Topic author
tlt

Post by tlt »

My total trip was 13 days. The trip started from Austin to Atlanta direct to Johannesburg. If you are flying this is the best / shortest way. 13 hours going and 16 hours return flight to Atlanta. I learned this the hard way.

I spent 3 days in the bush at africantrophypursuit.com and then traveled to Sodwana bay for some fishing 3 more days in semi Bush, and another amazing experience on the Indian ocean. I would also highly recommend my friend Johan and his wife at http://seevarkie.co.za/ for an experience of a lifetime. On pricing on the fishing, note our dollars will buy a lot of fun right now, with the dollar very strong to the Rand ie: 1$ to 15Rand or higher. http://seevarkie.co.za/rates.html Rooms and fishing rates are very reasonable. The main reason for a short visit was to sample other areas of the country.

Meals there are very reasonable, and good compared to here. A loaded breakfast cost 65 rand for example, roughly $5.00 US in a nice place in Pretoria.

Sodwana is a 9 hour drive from there, but was worth the trip. It sits in Sodwana Bay is part of the iSimangaliso Wetlands Park which was proclaimed a World Heritage Site due to it's uniqueness with no commercial fishing, undeveloped beaches (highest dunes in the world) as well.

The drive to the Ranch from Johannesburg was about 3-4 hours, on good safe roads. Bear in mind, they drive like the Australians there, on the left. Speed limits ranged 50mph to 75 (80 to 120km/h)

Depending on the game you are after, it is priced accordingly; as listed here; http://africantrophypursuit.com/prices

AndyC would probably have a lot of advice, being from the area as well.

With respect to getting a single trophy done, they can combine a shipment to the US with other shipments to reduce costs.

I will work up a breakdown on my total costs, and taxidermy. The rates were really quite reasonable, and service top notch. To answer your question more directly here is a scenario from another client;

Marquetta had a 7 day safari and shot 9 big trophies, (including the African Super slam in one trip). The ASS is the Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck and Eland(the 4 spiral horns they have in Africa). They are also very pricey animals. She spent $2500 on airline tickets, $13000 on total safari bill. $2000 on dip, pack and shipping of the 9 trophies, and expect to pay no more than $600 a piece to get mounted in the US The guys at Africa Trophy Pursuit are a great place to finish your African super slam! As they have the spirals you seek.

My guide, Freddie, who was totally amazing has successfully hunted the ASS 8 times with clients in one trip that wanted it.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

tlt,

Thank you very much for taking the time to gather and post all the great information.

I'm very impressed.

When it's convenient, please, more.

Thanks!

Return to “Hunting Photos”