First Hog Dropped...

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Re: First Hog Dropped...

Post by WildBill »

Lynyrd wrote:I hope you got that fur coat off quick! I eat lots of wild hog, but they need to be dressed quick. They are not like a deer.
:iagree: I thought the same when I saw the pictures.
NRA Endowment Member

chuck j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chuck j »

Time to make ;
Last edited by chuck j on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

chuck j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chuck j »

Time to make ;

Topic author
trashysquid
Posts in topic: 4

Post by trashysquid »

WildBill wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:I hope you got that fur coat off quick! I eat lots of wild hog, but they need to be dressed quick. They are not like a deer.
:iagree: I thought the same when I saw the pictures.
Well, don't know what "quick" is when it comes to skinning hog hide, but total time from dropping the hog, field dressing and taking it to the processor was about 15 hours. It was cool the night I left her out (low 30s), and I also put ice bags in the carcass just to be sure. The processor didn't call back or anything, so I'm assuming all is well...

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TomsTXCHL »

WTR wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:
LeonCarr wrote:One down, 7,000,000 to go :)
Yup it's a fine sport, but it not only does nothing to curb the population, it can actually hurt if the feeding area was set-up specifically to try to eradicate them. That's because the sounder learns simply not to go back there any more.

Only effective way to deal with them assuming they're wreaking havoc on one's ranch, is to create a feeding area that is fenced, such that after the entire sounder (OP's 20 or so) get comfy going-in and feeding, one day you drop the door and trap the whole bunch.

I know, that's less fun than shootin' em but for others who may wander in here that is the only effective way to deal with those nasty, prolific creatures.

I do hope some day to go on a shoot but that will be for sport and not a control effort. :fire
Not necessarily true. My in laws have what I call a retired gentleman's ranch in N. Texas(125 acres). They had a hog problem some 20 years ago. They allowed hunters in ( no fee). Within 3 months.....all hogs were gone and have not returned.
Perhaps that is true (still no hogs after 20 years), but it is more likely that the conditions that favored their presence are also gone as well i.e. fences are repaired, forage is gone, or no available wallowing/wet areas due e.g. to drought.

I was merely pointing-out the "official" position of Texas' extension agents on this subject, for anyone here who doesn't know it (and not @ the OP per se):

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/

Hunting them is certainly a fun option perhaps (our agent tells a scary/funny story of a charging hog that was only wounded by a gunshot) though typically not an easy or effective one.
:txflag:

Return to “Hunting Photos”