Feral Hogs

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Feral Hogs

Post by Keith B »

der Teufel wrote:
tyree wrote:Wow! That is a lot of work. I bet you ARE worn out!
Seriously! Hope you had lots of help. I get worn out doing just two or three.
There were 4 of us. We used a couple of fork lifts from the farm shop to hang them from the forks. Still a lot of work to dress and cape out.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
der Teufel wrote:
There were 4 of us. We used a couple of fork lifts from the farm shop to hang them from the forks. Still a lot of work to dress and cape out.
Please tell me you kept at least one pork shoulder to make pulled pork. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:
der Teufel wrote:
Please tell me you kept at least one pork shoulder to make pulled pork. :mrgreen:
Yep, 2 for me. :-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TomsTXCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TomsTXCHL »

Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:
der Teufel wrote:
It seems to me that what is basically "free range" pork oughta be as good or better than farm-raised, given what THOSE pigs eat!?

My wife had "feral pork" and said it was good. I never have. Are there any diseases one has to worry about? I heard it can't be distributed e.g. to the needy because it's not inspected...

:???:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
Keith B wrote:
WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:
der Teufel wrote:
It seems to me that what is basically "free range" pork oughta be as good or better than farm-raised, given what THOSE pigs eat!?

My wife had "feral pork" and said it was good. I never have. Are there any diseases one has to worry about? I heard it can't be distributed e.g. to the needy because it's not inspected...

I know that is the law in California, but I think it's different in Texas.
In California wild game can not be processed in the same facility as normal [USDA] meat.
I don't know about the laws in Missouri.
NRA Endowment Member

der Teufel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by der Teufel »

TomsTXCHL wrote:My wife had "feral pork" and said it was good. I never have. Are there any diseases one has to worry about? I heard it can't be distributed e.g. to the needy because it's not inspected...

It is my understanding that the meat cannot be donated to charity, but I may be wrong. Venison can be donated, although I believe it must be processed professionally. Here again, I may be wrong. I'll defer to others with more knowledge.

There are some diseases such as Brucellosis and Pseudorabies (probably the two biggest concerns) that feral hogs can carry, along with parasites like roundworm, liver flukes, and trichinosis.

Info at: feralhogs.tamu.edu/files/2011/08/Feral-Hogs-and-Disease-Concerns.pdf
and also: icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Feral%20Pig/Txferalhogs.pdf

I ALWAYS wear nitrile gloves when I'm skinning and cutting up a hog. ALWAYS!!
I also have an old pair of work gloves that I put on when I'm hauling one out of a field in order to bring it in for skinning.
Last edited by der Teufel on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

This post reminded me to post on here and ask...

Does anyone know anywhere within, say, 100 miles of the city of Lubbock that I could go out and shoot a feral hog? Yes, I know they are everywhere, but does anyone on the forum have land (or know someone with land) in that area that would be willing to work me with on that? I got my first rifle (a Savage .308) and Id like to take a hog with it and maybe have some help dressing it (I've only ever dressed out deer with my old man). All the places I've found charge like $300 buck a day to do what im asking.. I just want to shoot ONE. I am willing to pay for the hunt but I am also in a police academy so most of my money Is tied up in paying for the tuition for that..

Thanks!
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

mrvmax wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:Good Job! :thumbs2:

Feral Hogs are a scourge. Believe me...I know: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721
Talk about a blast from the past! I remember when you first posted that thread. :lol:
Yes, its an old, but ongoing thread. I really need to keep it more current.

I've been battling hogs for close to 30 years now. Shoot them, Trap them, Snare them, Run them with dogs on occasion. They just keep making more. :grumble

There needs to be a Federal Fund set aside....to help trap them and ship them to the Middle East. That's what I think we should be doing with them.
Flint, I know it's your FIL's property, and you have plenty of family to help, but I will be itching to try out my suppressed .300 Blk SBR on hogs when ATF finally sends me my stamp to build the upper. If you ever need help, call me. I'll buy the beer......or sweet tea.....or whatever you're having! :lol:
I will tell you from experience, take only head shots either suppressed or not with 300 Blackout. Hogs are tough and no fun to chase down and even a good shot with supersonic ammo can still result in the hog getting a long way quickly.
Hogs aren't that tough. I have shot them by the dozens with just remington 55grn FMJ cheap stuff from my 16" AR. Never had to track one more than 50 yards. I have had a handful of fudds tell me that .223 is DANGEROUS to hunt hogs with. I just smile and say "ok". I have heard about shoulder plates and titanium infused skulls that you need a 50 BMG to penetrate, I have heard of .308 rounds "bouncing off" of a boar shoulder and all sorts of nonsense. Shoulder or just in front of there will be just fine with anything centerfire.

I have been carrying my suppressed .22 AR lately with me for squirrels and such, if I can get a shot at a hog I'll give it a head shot with 40grn Standard Velocity and report back. I expect to report DRT and no less.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

I have heard about shoulder plates and titanium infused skulls that you need a 50 BMG to penetrate, I have heard of .308 rounds "bouncing off" of a boar shoulder and all sorts of nonsense. Shoulder or just in front of there will be just fine with anything centerfire.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed.

Hogs are NOT bullet proof. Here is an average size (mature) Boar on our place. I’ve been watching him for a few days…waiting for the wind to get right and for him to come in a bit earlier so I don’t have to pull an ‘all nighter’ on stand. Hopefully take him out this weekend.

IF you shoot hogs in either spot I have indicated (neck or high shoulder) your hog will drop right there. It might kick a little, it might even do the ‘Curly Shuffle’ some, but you won’t have it run away.

Any centerfire cartridge suitable for deer hunting will work just fine for hogs IF you achieve good shot placement and do NOT use a varmint type bullet.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

flintknapper wrote:
I have heard about shoulder plates and titanium infused skulls that you need a 50 BMG to penetrate, I have heard of .308 rounds "bouncing off" of a boar shoulder and all sorts of nonsense. Shoulder or just in front of there will be just fine with anything centerfire.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed.

Hogs are NOT bullet proof. Here is an average size (mature) Boar on our place. I’ve been watching him for a few days…waiting for the wind to get right and for him to come in a bit earlier so I don’t have to pull an ‘all nighter’ on stand. Hopefully take him out this weekend.

IF you shoot hogs in either spot I have indicated (neck or high shoulder) your hog will drop right there. It might kick a little, it might even do the ‘Curly Shuffle’ some, but you won’t have it run away.

Any centerfire cartridge suitable for deer hunting will work just fine for hogs IF you achieve good shot placement and do NOT use a varmint type bullet.
That is a nasty looking one. That is why I carry a 45 on my leg when I am out there, not matter what. Agreed, anywhere on or between the marks will be a clean kill.

I still laugh at that one guy that said his .308 bounced off a hog's "shoulder plate". That is more plausible to him than him missing a shot.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

AJSully421 wrote:
mrvmax wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
flintknapper wrote:Good Job! :thumbs2:

Feral Hogs are a scourge. Believe me...I know: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=449721
Talk about a blast from the past! I remember when you first posted that thread. :lol:
Yes, its an old, but ongoing thread. I really need to keep it more current.

I've been battling hogs for close to 30 years now. Shoot them, Trap them, Snare them, Run them with dogs on occasion. They just keep making more. :grumble

There needs to be a Federal Fund set aside....to help trap them and ship them to the Middle East. That's what I think we should be doing with them.
Flint, I know it's your FIL's property, and you have plenty of family to help, but I will be itching to try out my suppressed .300 Blk SBR on hogs when ATF finally sends me my stamp to build the upper. If you ever need help, call me. I'll buy the beer......or sweet tea.....or whatever you're having! :lol:
I will tell you from experience, take only head shots either suppressed or not with 300 Blackout. Hogs are tough and no fun to chase down and even a good shot with supersonic ammo can still result in the hog getting a long way quickly.
Hogs aren't that tough. I have shot them by the dozens with just remington 55grn FMJ cheap stuff from my 16" AR. Never had to track one more than 50 yards. I have had a handful of fudds tell me that .223 is DANGEROUS to hunt hogs with. I just smile and say "ok". I have heard about shoulder plates and titanium infused skulls that you need a 50 BMG to penetrate, I have heard of .308 rounds "bouncing off" of a boar shoulder and all sorts of nonsense. Shoulder or just in front of there will be just fine with anything centerfire.

I have been carrying my suppressed .22 AR lately with me for squirrels and such, if I can get a shot at a hog I'll give it a head shot with 40grn Standard Velocity and report back. I expect to report DRT and no less.
Yes, I know people who have killed them with 17HMR but there has to be good shot placement and whether people admit it or not most people are not as good as they think.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

YouTube is full of videos of people killing hogs with air rifles, even in .17 caliber. That they can be killed with something like that doesn't negate the ethical requirement to to kill them quickly and cleanly if at all possible......even if they are the orcs of the animal kingdom. I'm not the one here with experience killing hogs (although I would very much like to have that esperience :mrgreen: ), but it seems to me that a .223/5.56 rifle would be a minimum requirement. OTH, an old shooting buddy of mine who has since shuffled off this mortal coil once told me that, as a lad growing up in rural PA before WW2, his dad used to tell him to go get some venison for the larder with his little .22 rifle. The times being what they were, he would drop a couple of "boolits" in his pocket and take off early in the morning, sit in the snow freezing his tuckus off until a deer showed up, pop it in the neck with his .22, and be back by lunch time. He also said that if he could have afforded more rifle at the time, he'd have brought more rifle.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:YouTube is full of videos of people killing hogs with air rifles, even in .17 caliber. That they can be killed with something like that doesn't negate the ethical requirement to to kill them quickly and cleanly if at all possible......even if they are the orcs of the animal kingdom. I'm not the one here with experience killing hogs (although I would very much like to have that esperience :mrgreen: ), but it seems to me that a .223/5.56 rifle would be a minimum requirement. OTH, an old shooting buddy of mine who has since shuffled off this mortal coil once told me that, as a lad growing up in rural PA before WW2, his dad used to tell him to go get some venison for the larder with his little .22 rifle. The times being what they were, he would drop a couple of "boolits" in his pocket and take off early in the morning, sit in the snow freezing his tuckus off until a deer showed up, pop it in the neck with his .22, and be back by lunch time. He also said that if he could have afforded more rifle at the time, he'd have brought more rifle.
Yep, Keith Warren has a vid on his channel taking one with an air rifle. Yet, I have seen people with 300 AAC on up to 300 Win mag that were unable to, and yes, there was blood to prove it was hit. I actually shot one with 300 AAC that I never found, we followed the blood trail until it ended and there was no pig to be found. Ive run across people that will drop a hog on the first shot one day and hit them the next and never recover it, just like humans it is all about hitting a vital area. I know plenty of people make claims to be expert shots but that sometime doesn't turn out to be reality in the field, I'm no expert I'm just passing on what I've sent to work. Some people can do it and some can't, YMMV.

Return to “Hunting Photos”