Feral Hogs

Post your hunting/trophy photos here, and tell us a little about your trip. WARNING: Some photos will be graphic.

Moderator: carlson1

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Feral Hogs

Post by puma guy »

We're very fortunate to have none on our deer lease. We did have one small group several years ago, but managed to eliminate them all. Haven't had any show up since, but we hear from other property owners they're slowly moving in. We had two Emus show up for a couple of years! :lol: One of the fellows on the lease had a place in Flatonia and he was plagued with them and kept his pastures torn up continually. He let a man trap them to sell as free range pork to the organic crowd. "rlol" He had the perfect set up for them with three lakes and large grassy pastures that he kept watered.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:We're very fortunate to have none on our deer lease. We did have one small group several years ago, but managed to eliminate them all. Haven't had any show up since, but we hear from other property owners they're slowly moving in. We had two Emus show up for a couple of years! :lol: One of the fellows on the lease had a place in Flatonia and he was plagued with them and kept his pastures torn up continually. He let a man trap them to sell as free range pork to the organic crowd. "rlol" He had the perfect set up for them with three lakes and large grassy pastures that he kept watered.
Pastured lard is a big seller too.
NRA Endowment Member

brhalltx

Post by brhalltx »

WildBill wrote:Pastured lard is a big seller too.
Emu or pork? :evil2:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

brhalltx wrote:
Of course, I am talking about pigs. Squeezing the oil from an Emu is much too difficult. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

flintknapper wrote:Good Job! :thumbs2: ]
I will tell you from experience, take only head shots either suppressed or not with 300 Blackout. Hogs are tough and no fun to chase down and even a good shot with supersonic ammo can still result in the hog getting a long way quickly.
How about my M1?
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by flintknapper »

jmorris wrote:
I will tell you from experience, take only head shots either suppressed or not with 300 Blackout. Hogs are tough and no fun to chase down and even a good shot with supersonic ammo can still result in the hog getting a long way quickly.
How about my M1?
^^^^^^^^^

I didn't write any of the above...except for "Good Job". :headscratch

But for the record...I am very much against taking 'head shots' except under certain circumstances. My recommendation (if circumstance permits) is to 'neck shoot'. My next preferred shot would be a high shoulder shot.

But I do agree...that a CNS shot (Central Nervous System) is preferred, if you want to find your hog right there.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

flintknapper wrote:
jmorris wrote:
How about my M1?
^^^^^^^^^

But for the record...I am very much against taking 'head shots' except under certain circumstances. My recommendation (if circumstance permits) is to 'neck shoot'. My next preferred shot would be a high shoulder shot.

But I do agree...that a CNS shot (Central Nervous System) is preferred, if you want to find your hog right there.
Ay! Messed up the attribution when deleting the extra. Should have been mrvmax.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

jmorris wrote:
flintknapper wrote:
jmorris wrote:
How about my M1?
^^^^^^^^^

Ay! Messed up the attribution when deleting the extra. Should have been mrvmax.
I assume the person shooting knows where to aim and is good enough to hit those areas, perhaps too many assumptions on my part. It's also much better cleaning when the entrails are not ruptured. This comes from what I have done myself and what I have seen others do the last three years hog hunting. I am nowhere near an expert but I have seen some recurring themes the last few years.
Last edited by mrvmax on Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

brhalltx wrote:
After seeing Emu guano I'd prefer the pig! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

SigM4
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SigM4 »

Keith, where abouts in Missouri is this? I've heard of folks around here seeing the occasional pig, but it's obviously not the problem like it is back home, at least not around the Ozarks. Truth be told I'd love to find a place I could go to hunt them up here as I don't make it back to south Texas as much as I'd like.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

SigM4 wrote:Keith, where abouts in Missouri is this? I've heard of folks around here seeing the occasional pig, but it's obviously not the problem like it is back home, at least not around the Ozarks. Truth be told I'd love to find a place I could go to hunt them up here as I don't make it back to south Texas as much as I'd like.
Eastern Ozarks around Williamsville. Department of Conservation doesn't want you shooting them on public land now though; they believe shooting 1 or 2 and scattering the rest of the group will make it harder to get them trapped in pens. We were on private land and trapped them. Then it was like shooting fish.. uh, pigs in a barrel. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Keith B wrote:
Department of Conservation doesn't want you shooting them on public land now though; they believe shooting 1 or 2 and scattering the rest of the group will make it harder to get them trapped in pens.
I actually agree with this.....IF the hogs are not yet a wide spread problem. People running them with dogs is even worse.

If a concerted effort is made to trap them (early on) it can really make a dent in the population. Once hogs are firmly established, then all bets are off and ANY manner of killing them should be employed, it is all you can do at that point. Let the 'losing battle' begin.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

tyree
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tyree »

Keith B wrote: 17 of the 19 got dispatched. A couple of the smaller ones were able to escape through the pen fencing once we started shooting and they spooked. Then the down side of the shoot was having to dress and clean them. Now I am worn out.

Wow! That is a lot of work. I bet you ARE worn out!

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

tyree wrote:Wow! That is a lot of work. I bet you ARE worn out!
Seriously! Hope you had lots of help. I get worn out doing just two or three.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “Hunting Photos”