Find The Gun For You

Announcements, questions and comments about this year's event!

Moderator: carlson1

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Find The Gun For You

Post by Piney »

Greetings--

MsPiney's been after me to get her a new pistol. Her CZ 75 fits her hands well and she's accurate with it-- except for that first double action shot. Its a bit tough for her to pull.

She'd like to shoot any 9mm auto-- Glock 17/34, XD, M&P-- with a reduced grip. All the stock ones she's tried are a bit large for her hands.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

Piney wrote:Greetings--

MsPiney's been after me to get her a new pistol. Her CZ 75 fits her hands well and she's accurate with it-- except for that first double action shot. Its a bit tough for her to pull.

She'd like to shoot any 9mm auto-- Glock 17/34, XD, M&P-- with a reduced grip. All the stock ones she's tried are a bit large for her hands.
You know they make the CZ 75B in SAO, yeah? That would be something to consider. Carry is the same as any SA pistol, cocked and locked. Also, I believe the DA/SA 75 B's are capable of being carried cocked and locked, as they have a safety separate from the decocker. You might look to see if her pistol has this capability, as it would solve the DA pull problem without buying another gun.

A Hi-Power (biased here, as it's what I carry :mrgreen: ) has a smaller grip than most double-stacks, is SA, and a relatively light and short trigger. Venus Pax tried mine out last year and she seemed to enjoy it. I believe I remember her commenting that she seemed to be more accurate with it than with her 1911 when shooting the Texas Star. :fire The Hi-Power is almost identical in dimensions to the CZ 75, with a somewhat shorter grip. Capacity is similar, and I carry flush 15-round Mec-Gar mags with mine (stock mags are 13 rounds). The FN Hi-Powers tend to run around $600 or so brand new, but you can find new Argentine Hi-Powers (FM-90 or FM-95 - licensed productions of the MkII and MkIII, respectively) for around $350. This is what I have (the FM-90). It is a great weapon, and has been absolutely reliable for me. Your wife is welcome to try mine out at Forum Day.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Piney wrote:Greetings--

I will be at the Forum with my M&P 9s - full size, compact, and I hope soon the Pro.

She will be welcome to try them. I have very small hands with short fingers and I find these to fit very well. I do agree that a Browning High Power is great for small hands. I love mine and enjoyed shooting it. The reason I put it away is that it will not hold up to the amount of shooting I do. Another option are the 1911 style guns. The single stack with the addition of a short trigger make these very small hand friendly.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

Where are you kind folks talking about meeting?

Looks like many/most of you are around Houston, with one or two near Austin (me too).

We have a daughter near Houston (League City), and might want to travel and see the grand kids.
(My wife and I.)

Various .45s -- 1911 & Glocks.
Pony Colt 1911. in .380 (wife's)
HerbM

Xander

Post by Xander »

HerbM wrote:Where are you kind folks talking about meeting?

Looks like many/most of you are around Houston, with one or two near Austin (me too).

We have a daughter near Houston (League City), and might want to travel and see the grand kids.
(My wife and I.)
Hello Herb,

This event will take place during the annual TexasCHLForum Day at the PSC Range in Friendswood. See this thread for more information: http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... 79&t=13135

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Venus Pax »

Skiprr wrote:It's been a lot of years since I shot a revolver, and I've been thinking for a while that I need to become at least a bit of a wheelgunner. ;-) So I'd like to shoot a few different revolvers; not picky what...
I will plan to bring my .38 special, which was my first handgun.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

Where is this event going to be? I have a couple .45.s ( glock 21) and a new xd 40 sub compact. I'm willing to let anyone fire mine if they treat them like there own.... (I'll clean them my self though) :fire
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

hankintexas wrote:Where is this event going to be? I have a couple .45.s ( glock 21) and a new xd 40 sub compact. I'm willing to let anyone fire mine if they treat them like there own.... (I'll clean them my self though) :fire

Read up a few posts on this thread.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

longtooth
Posts in topic: 3

Post by longtooth »

I have not checked in here in SEVERAL posts. :tiphat:
I am glad to see this on happen this yr.
I will bring my wheel guns too.
Taurus Ultra Lite .38ps.
Ruger SP101 - .357
Ruger GP100 - .357 This one is a 3" barrel for carry. Fixed sites. Not many folks really like this one but I do. You are welcome 2em it Skiprr.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

jbirds1210 wrote:I want to shoot a desert eagle.....one of the big ones! I have never had the opportunity. I would be more than willing to pay the price for a few rounds to get the experience.
If you shoot a 50 AE at an indoor range where plugs and muffs...DEs are very loud.

Jeremae

Post by Jeremae »

It looks as if my son Jonathan will be home on leave between AIT and his first duty station and able to attend Forum day.. He really wants to shoot The Desert Eagle both in 50 ae and 357 mag and will purchase factory ammo beforehand if the guns will be there.

On personal note... I have a hankering to shoot a 1911 in 38 Super. Maybe I could trade some components for ammo (Montana Gold 115 gr 9mm bullets, 38 super range pickup brass, etc) to some kind hearted individual so I could put a couple magazinefulls downrange.....
Reasonable gun control is hitting your target with the first shot.

Return to “TexasCHLforum Day at PSC 2008”