Three Second Fighter by Geoff Thompson

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Three Second Fighter by Geoff Thompson

Post by Paladin »

This book is about fighting with your brain and/or your fists if you must, but much if it is equally applicable to concealed carriers. Geoff Thompson has a number of classic books, and this is certainly one of them:

Three Second Fighter

Strong recommend.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Re: Three Second Fighter by Geoff Thompson

Post by Rafe »

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I have several of Geoff Thompson's books. Embarrassed because I've only glanced at some of them, and haven't even done that in years. I don't know if he's written anything combatives-related recently. I have the 2004 edition of Three Second Fighter; the original one was written, according to the copyright page, in 1997. But good info never goes out of style. He put out a bunch of combatives DVDs, but I don't have any of those.

As Paladin notes, this book in particular takes a holistic view of physical conflict and not so much mechanics of strikes and grappling. He has some other books that also look at things at this level: Art of Fighting Without Fighting and Dead or Alive The Choice is Yours: The Definitive Self-protection Handbook are two. Chapter titles in Three Second Fighter echo resonantly with defensive firearm training:
  • Awareness - the Power Base
  • Muscle Memory
  • The Game Plan
  • The Support System
  • The Fence
  • The Attack
  • Aftermath
Thompson's background is very much like that of another street-savvy fighter, Marc MacYoung. They both spent years as bouncers, had to apply what they learned in practical situations, and just as importantly for concealed carriers, they became pretty expert at observation, the signaling that often goes on before the first blow, and tactics used by attackers.

The only way to win a gunfight is to never get into one. And the more prepared, trained, and knowledgeable you are, the easier it is to avoid, deescalate, or escape the conflict.

But at the end of the day, if it happens, it's as much about fight as it is gun. And that's why I have books I need to reread and DVDs I need to watch again. :???: The past two years of COVID have made me lazy. Too lazy. I need to get my head--and body--back in the game.
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I don’t know about the book as of now, but the drill is great. Thanks Paladin.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

CSAT Instructor Coy Harry has a very similar background as the folks mentioned. I took a close quarter class from him (others in the class) at CSAT last year. You will learn hand to hand, knife and close quarter handgun. Coy is very impressive, an excellent instructor and someone I would want on my side. CSAT is in Nacogdoches so travel should not prevent anyone from attending.

Return to “Books & Videos”