Review: Unintended Consequences

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

speedsix
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Review: Unintended Consequences

Post by speedsix »

n5wd wrote:
Hyunchback wrote:...The book begins in San Antonio as Adolph Topperwien sets a world record for aerial shooting.

I guess I'm about to show my ignorance, but... someone please tell me what "aerial shooting" is. I get a picture of someone sniping at car radio antennas, and I'm sure that's not it! :shock:

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... cles/fto09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

n5wd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by n5wd »

speedsix wrote:
n5wd wrote:
Hyunchback wrote:...The book begins in San Antonio as Adolph Topperwien sets a world record for aerial shooting.

I guess I'm about to show my ignorance, but... someone please tell me what "aerial shooting" is. I get a picture of someone sniping at car radio antennas, and I'm sure that's not it! :shock:

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... cles/fto09" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah! Thanks!
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LDB415 »

I followed the link for Ad Topperwien. It led to a link for a Texas history exam. I got 8 of 10 correct. I'd like to have done better but haven't taken Texas history in around 35 years so I guess that isn't too bad.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Unintended Consequences is a great book, sadly no longer in print. I loaned my copy to someone and it was never returned. I'd like to get another copy and read it again.

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Vol Texan »

LDB,

I see you are new here to the forum, and we all welcome you. This is one of the best places on the web to get information on Texas CHL, plus you'll find that it's one of the best-run forums out here.

But I've noticed that in the past few minutes, you've resurrected a number of 2-and 3-year old posts. I'm not sure why? I've seen it happen before, for instance one user who wanted to get his post count up quickly (I'm sure so he would have enough to sell something on here), but that user was quickly removed from the forum.

I'd hate to see that happen to someone else...and I'm not in the position to do it myself...but I'd hate to see anyone new get tossed out so quickly - especially if it's someone who's experiences could really add to the conversation.

VT
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I love to read and I think it's great when anyone/everyone reads so I was drawn to the book threads. I hoped at least some of my comments in at least some of the book threads might prompt some folks who haven't tried particular books to try them. I also wanted to get Boyd Morrison's name in front of people too. He's new enough I'm sure many haven't tried his work yet but he's very good, competition for many of the established "big names".

If you wander around enough you'll also see I've posted in other areas as well as my own thread about a particular J frame revolver. I just may throw out another thread or two on a couple of other "suspects" for EDC.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

LDB415 wrote:Unintended Consequences is a great book, sadly no longer in print.
Been reprinted in softcover.

http://john-ross.net/store.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that. It's ordered.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

LDB415 wrote:I love to read and I think it's great when anyone/everyone reads so I was drawn to the book threads. I hoped at least some of my comments in at least some of the book threads might prompt some folks who haven't tried particular books to try them. I also wanted to get Boyd Morrison's name in front of people too. He's new enough I'm sure many haven't tried his work yet but he's very good, competition for many of the established "big names".

If you wander around enough you'll also see I've posted in other areas as well as my own thread about a particular J frame revolver. I just may throw out another thread or two on a couple of other "suspects" for EDC.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Enjoy the forum - there are a lot of wise folks on here!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

LDB415 wrote:I love to read and I think it's great when anyone/everyone reads so I was drawn to the book threads. I hoped at least some of my comments in at least some of the book threads might prompt some folks who haven't tried particular books to try them. I also wanted to get Boyd Morrison's name in front of people too. He's new enough I'm sure many haven't tried his work yet but he's very good, competition for many of the established "big names".

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Enjoy the forum - there are a lot of wise folks on here!

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

The first two thirds of Ross' book was a good read.

For the last third 'tho, I just won't jump on the Anarchy bandwagon. The time may arrive again when that is the only recourse. 'Till then, I will stand by Constitutional means to redress our greviances.

If we elect jerks and corrupt leaders of our Gov't, the fault is on us.

Soapbox rant over,

salty

ELB

Post by ELB »

LDB415 wrote: ... I hoped at least some of my comments in at least some of the book threads might prompt some folks who haven't tried particular books to try them. ...
Worked. ;-) Missed this first time around.
USAF 1982-2005

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

saltydog452 wrote:For the last third 'tho, I just won't jump on the Anarchy bandwagon. The time may arrive again when that is the only recourse. 'Till then, I will stand by Constitutional means to redress our grievances.
Don't overlook that constitutional means aren't much help when the jack-booted thugs with swat gear and automatic weapons show up at o' dark thirty. That was the premise in Unintended Consequences. Henry Bowman didn't start the action, he was illegally targeted.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Jumping Frog wrote:Don't overlook that constitutional means aren't much help when the jack-booted thugs with swat gear and automatic weapons show up at o' dark thirty. That was the premise in Unintended Consequences. Henry Bowman didn't start the action, he was illegally targeted.
Another fictional character at the other end of the socio-economic spectrum once said, "They drew first blood, not me." Maybe it's because of the way our country was founded, but Americans have long had sympathy for the little guy who fights back against government thugs who cross the line.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

saltydog452

Post by saltydog452 »

Jumping Frog is correct.

Ruby Ridge did happen as did Sand Creek, Wounded Knee, and economic dependence in the Mill towns, sugar fields, and coal mines. All were sanctioned by the ruling powers that the voters chose.

If we're going have a 'clean house' in D.C., it needs to begin at the ballot box on the local level.

salty

Return to “Books & Videos”