Magazine Review: Combat Handguns

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Hyunchback
Posts in topic: 2

Magazine Review: Combat Handguns

Post by Hyunchback »

This news stand magazine has been around for many years. It is published on lightweight paper and tends to become damaged easily.

This magazine is ad heavy and it is my belief that ads can keep bad reviews from seeing publication with this magazine. I don't have proof. It's my opinion. Everyone has one, much like certain body parts. I'm sure the publishers are going to call me by a body part's nickname for giving that opinion.

That said there is also good stuff to be found that keeps me buying time after time. Masaad F. Ayoob presents case studies of different shootings that go to court and encapsulates how the prosecution and defense dealt with the truth.

Content that carries over from issue to issue include "It Happened To Me" which doesn't always end in a bad guy going down. Holster and knife reviews make their appearance as does "Street Smarts" that introduced me to a phrase I keep in mind.
Everybody talks .45s, shoots 9mm's and carries .38s.
Not always true, but I keep it in mind when reading this magazine which tends to feature full sized 1911 pattern pistols in 60% of their articles.

This one gets a recommendation with a caveat for your emptor. It's not great but it has some usefulness.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

striker55
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Magazine Review: Combat Handguns

Post by striker55 »

I subscribe and like the articles, this month has a lot of 9mm guns.

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I subscribe to Guns, and American Handgunner, but I do pick up Combat Handguns on occasion and it's a good read. I also enjoy the articles by Mas Ayoob. He's got some great wisdom and info to share, and I'm glad he does. The craftsmanship in the FMG Publications magazines though is fantastic.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I like to read them on planes.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
Hyunchback
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hyunchback »

anygunanywhere wrote:I like to read them on planes.

Anygunanywhere
I'm surprised you haven't been detained by the TSA!

"Oooh! Oooh! PICTURES of GUNS!" :eek6
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

Return to “Books & Videos”