Shivworks PUC DVD

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
fm2
Posts in topic: 1

Shivworks PUC DVD

Post by fm2 »

I recently purchased the Shivworks PUC DVD online from MD Tactical. Given the recent discussions and relevency to the material in the DVD, I thought I'd post a quick review.

The introduction covers how need to understand the problem of criminal assault and work from there toward realistic solutions. Good points about in daily life we are multi tasking and when we train we start from a different point ( focused on one thing, given time to get ready, knowledge of when & where we'll start, etc...) .

There are some good points about how the BG interested in property crime ( the BG wants your stuff, car, money, watch, jewelry, etc...) uses different methods to gain advantage. How he will close range, probably be armed, and presence of a second BG. Some astute observations about unequal initiative & unproportional armament and how our training should account for that.

Probably the best instruction I've seen on how to maintain range & how much of a difference 10 inches make. The concept of a "fence" is introduced and covered very well.

For managing encroachment a two pronged approach, gradual verbal response and movement, is used. There is an excellent discussion of using a "fence" combined with movement & language to project your intent.

The default position is an excellent cover position that can protect you from getting KO'ed & keep you on your feet. It allows for breaking the BG's initiative and you re-gaining the initiative. It's sort of a plan B should your awareness fail or you fail to take the initiative.

The hardskills: eyejab, hammerfist, and elbow are covered very well. The techniques are demo'ed from different angles and at variable speeds for clarity and instruction. They are also shown used against a training partner so you can see the effect on a person. They are simple strikes that can be used effectively by almost anyone.

Topics included:
The criminal assault paradigm
The criminal assault method
Task Fixation
Encroachment
Movement
Unknown contact management
Pre-assault cues
Hardskills
Eyejabs
Default position
Elbow strike
Hammerfist

I highly recommend adding this DVD to your collection. It covers simple techniques & concepts that are very useful for surviving a criminal assault. The material contains hard won knowledge from the street, and is refined/tested against some highly skilled people in seminars/classes in the US & abroad. Students are able to apply these skills against resisting opponents with good success is realistic drills & scenarios.

Better yet, practice this material, and incorporate it into your personal defensive skillset.
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

Return to “Books & Videos”