Suzanna Gratia Hupp book

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Suzanna Gratia Hupp book

Post by seamusTX »

Suzanna Gratia Hupp has written a new book: From Luby's to the Legislature.

http://www.privateerpublications.com/bo ... ature.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/From-L ... 0965678445" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

joe817

Re: Suzanna Gratia Hupp book

Post by joe817 »

Thanks for posting Jim. :tiphat:

The importance of this brave woman's efforts since the Luby's massacre cannot be stressed enough. There are exerts from the book that are truly worth reading:

http://www.privateerpublications.com/bo ... cerpt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

A-R

Post by A-R »

I got a copy of this book from Santa Claus. A day later, my annual cedar fever morphed into my annual Christmas sinus infection, so I didn't sleep well on 26th or 27th and was able to read the whole book in two days.

It's a decent, quick read. Not the most well-written book, but she's not a professional writer, so that is to be expected. Some interesting tidbits I didn't know relating to her role in helping pass CHL law in Texas.

She spends a lot of time discussing personal strategies for how to talk poignantly on TV, in front of audiences, and/or to politicians and the media when discussing RKBA. Some good tidbits for those who like to contact their elected officials about RKBA. Her personal views on a number of RKBA-related issues are sort of scattershot near the middle- to end of the book.

Of course, the chapter about "that day" - October 16, 1991 - at the Luby's in Killeen is positively chilling. And her immediate and strong response to media in the aftermath of the tragedy launched her new "career" as an pro-RKBA spokeperson.

Anyway, it's certainly worth reading. But, sadly, I think it will do more to solidify those of us who're already pro-RKBA than it will to move many fence-sitters to our side. I was expecting a bit more of a story that the "undecided middle" in the RKBA debate could latch onto. But, other than some of her early childhood and the events of that day, the rest of the book seems written more toward the already pro-RKBA audience.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I ordered a copy and it should be at my front door this week.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

austinrealtor wrote:I got a copy of this book from Santa Claus.
You have an intuitive Santa. Sorry for the illness, but thanks for the review.

I'll order it tomorrow. Even berift eloquent prose, I'd like to read and own this book.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

She speaks & writes in "Country Boy" language. May not be the eloquent speaker as some emoprer but she speakes to my Flag & Constitution.

I love anything she says or writes. :txflag:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

ELB

Post by ELB »

When I was advising my wife on what should be on Santa's list, I dithered for awhile between Hupp's and Palin's books. I finally went with Hupp. Fortuitously, my sister sent me Palin's book, so I get to read both. :mrgreen:

Yes Hupp is not a professional writer, but her experience at Luby's and as a legislator and RKBA campaigner give a bit more freight to her words.
USAF 1982-2005

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gmckinl »

My copy arrived yesterday. Now to find time to read it. I've heard her speak of the day in person. She is a riveting speaker.
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

Here's a few excerpts I copied down because they resonated with me. I highly recommend this book. Her shot (pun intended) at an un-named state rep (Royce W, I'm guessing) was hysterical. You'll have to read the book to get that one.

Acknowledgements and Apologies, p. ix
To my children, Alex and Ethan: You are probably the real driving force behind the writing of this book. I want you to understand why you never got to know your (maternal) grandparents. It is such a loss, they were really neat people.

Chapter 7, p. 60; responding to a reporters question of "how does that make you feel" after expressing frustration at not having her handgun in her purse…
I'm not angry at the guy who did it. We're not talking about a career criminal. We're talking about someone who went nuts. That's like being angry at a rabid dog. You might have to kill it; but you're not angry at it. But, I'll tell you what, I'm mad as h*** at my legislators for legislating me out of the right to protect myself and my family.

Chapter 13, p. 112; referring to the professor and Holocaust survivor who died during the Virginia Tech massacre while attempting to block the classroom door. He was legally denied the option of carrying a firearm as a means of defending himself and his students…
He survived the Holocaust, but he could not survive the laws passed by the Virginia State Legislature. How ironic and incredibly tragic.

Epilogue, p. 175 – 176;
If you are still unsure of your opinion regarding our Second Amendment, or about your neighbor's right to own and carry a gun, I would like you to ponder this: Imagine yourself enjoying the last of your lunch in a busy cafeteria on a bright, sunny day. Only, instead of your parents, you are there with your children or grandchildren. A man walks through the door... He continues with very slow and deliberate movements; the embodiment of evil standing before you brings his smoking weapon down to within inches of your toddler's forehead. At that moment, there is only one question for you to answer: Even if you have chosen not to carry a gun, don't you hope the guy behind you has one and knows how to use it?
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Got an autographed copy to my Dad...

I think I actually impressed him...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I liked her conversational style of writing. Personally I have read books by"professional" authors that weren't nearly as well written. I found a lot of good useful information in her book.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gmckinl wrote:Acknowledgements and Apologies, p. ix
To my children, Alex and Ethan: You are probably the real driving force behind the writing of this book. I want you to understand why you never got to know your (maternal) grandparents. It is such a loss, they were really neat people.
If anything, this one fact should burn so deep into anyone who cares, that it turns into the most productive form of activism imaginable, for the cause...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
gmckinl wrote:Acknowledgements and Apologies, p. ix
If anything, this one fact should burn so deep into anyone who cares, that it turns into the most productive form of activism imaginable, for the cause...
Amen!!!
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

Like stevie_d_64, I got this book and gave it to my dad (age 94) before I got to read it. He was impressed by the book. Now he has moved on to Sarah Palin's book and has loaned our Ms Hupp's book, but I'll get to read it soon...I hope.

Return to “Books & Videos”