Self Defense Laws of All 50 States (Book)

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 2

Self Defense Laws of All 50 States (Book)

Post by Texas Size 11 »

I saw this in an issue of American Rifleman and teetered back and forth on picking it up. The price tag is $29.99 and I didn't want to shell it out. Curiosity finally got the better of me and I went ahead and purchased it. It is a pretty nifty book. It is very well put together and has all of the statutes from all 50 states and the author (an attorney in Utah) has translated the legalese into English within the actual statute. There are also some other chapter that talk about a variey of things from what not to do if you have to defend yourself, conflict avoidance, what to say after a self defense incident, to less lethan options.

There is case law reference (Tommy Oakes & Joe Horn for Texas) to put something things into perspective.

It is a good read if you traveling and want to know what the laws are where you are going (and what you are passing through) or is you are just curious about how other states compare to Texas.

Good book if you are looking for something along those lines.
Never pet a burning dog...

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Self Defense Laws of All 50 States (Book)

Post by RoyGBiv »

Just be careful.
Any book on said subject is surely outdated the first day it's in print. Laws change.
Certainly a good reference but not 100% current.

I find handgunlaw.us is a good reference and they have links to most (all?) the state web sites for current information.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Self Defense Laws of All 50 States (Book)

Post by Texas Size 11 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Just be careful.
Any book on said subject is surely outdated the first day it's in print. Laws change.
Certainly a good reference but not 100% current.

I find handgunlaw.us is a good reference and they have links to most (all?) the state web sites for current information.
I thought about that, but the author posts updates to the book and emails them (or you can get them off the website). I got it more out of curiosity and so I could compare states in one location verus flipping around on a website, but I do have handgunlaw.us bookmarked.
Never pet a burning dog...

Return to “Books & Videos”