A Song of Ice and Fire(Game of Thrones)

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
74novaman
Posts in topic: 9

A Song of Ice and Fire(Game of Thrones)

Post by 74novaman »

Anyone else reading this series by George RR Martin?

I've finished the first 2 books, just waiting on #3. Very cool mix of knights and castles, magic, political intrigue and family ties/clashes.
Last edited by 74novaman on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
TANSTAAFL

clarionite
Posts in topic: 6

Re: A Song of Fire and Ice(Game of Thrones)

Post by clarionite »

I had never heard of the series until I saw the first season on TV. I picked up the first two books and started with the first. It was so much (almost word for word) like the episodes I had watched on TV I had a hard time reading it. So I skipped a big section of it and went to the second book, and was lost immediatly. I need to go back and force myself to read the first one over. I loved the show.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

clarionite wrote:I had never heard of the series until I saw the first season on TV. I picked up the first two books and started with the first. It was so much (almost word for word) like the episodes I had watched on TV I had a hard time reading it. So I skipped a big section of it and went to the second book, and was lost immediatly. I need to go back and force myself to read the first one over. I loved the show.
Haven't seen the show, though I've heard of it. Friend recommended the books to me.

Im impressed it was similar enough you got bored. They normally take big leaps to make something more "TV audience" friendly that ruins most book to movie/tv adaptions.
TANSTAAFL

Pete92FS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pete92FS »

I'm about halfway through the first book. Haven't seem the series yet; waiting for it to come out on DVD.
CHL since 01/26/09

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Finish the book before you watch the series... But yes, they're that similar.

One thing that really stuck out to me is half way through the first season I was wondering who would be around for the second season. <G>

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

What is the title of book #1? I have not heard of the series but I think I may check it out.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

Commander Cody wrote:What is the title of book #1? I have not heard of the series but I think I may check it out.
A Game of Thrones, if I recall correctly.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Dave2 wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:What is the title of book #1? I have not heard of the series but I think I may check it out.
A Game of Thrones, if I recall correctly.
Correct.

Just got book 3 in the mail today. Excited to start reading it.
TANSTAAFL

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

I finished the second last night. I'll swing by and pick up the third tomorrow during lunch.

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

clarionite wrote:I finished the second last night. I'll swing by and pick up the third tomorrow during lunch.
Nice. I'm done with 3, only about 50 pages into book 4. Already have book 5 because I know I'll be into it before christmas. ;-)
TANSTAAFL

fenster

Post by fenster »

I watched the series on tv, then started book 1 thinking I would just fill in gaps made by adaptation of book to screenplay. I'm now about halfway thru book 5. :oops: I hold little hope that the epic will reach any sort of closure when the book finishes. too many threads still dangling. you'll find as you progress thru the series that the number of parallel plotlines just continues to grow. with the narrative rotating among so many plotlines, you will have ones you like, and ones you don't care about as much but have to skim anyway so you don't end up lost.

one thing that has made an impression on me with these books is a distinct lack of fairytale endings.
<spoiler alert, but only for book 1>
example: the guy who I thought would be champion of good and truth ends up paying for his mercy with his own head. now that shows some sand on the part of the author.
</end spoilers>

it's been a fascinating ride so far, but I'm starting to get Ice-and-Fire fatigue.

Wes

Post by Wes »

havnt read the books but my GF is, we watched the first season last year and i can not WAIT until it starts back up in April. Great show, and the behind the scenes stuff they have released from iceland looks amazing.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Topic author
74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere to rent the DVDs when they come out next month.

I'm all the way through all 5 books. I'm glad I just discovered the series this year.

If id started reading when the first one came out in the 90s I think Id be camped out on martins front lawn chanting "write faster!"
TANSTAAFL

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 3

Post by OldCannon »

I ordered the first 4 books from Amazon. By the 30th page of the first book I realized:
a) I'm enjoying the story and want to read more, and
b) These books are too small print for my old eyes, so I bought the Kindle version.

So, if you're in Austin, I have a 4-book set that literally still has most of the protective plastic still around the books. I'll part with it for $10 (just over half the new price on Amazon) to the first taker.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

74novaman wrote:Anyone else reading this series by George RR Martin?
Yep. I read the first book a couple years ago, but I got busy, set it down, and forgot most of the storyline. I just finished watching season 1 of HBO's adaption, which I think has refreshed my memory of A Game of Thrones well enough that I'll be able to proceed straight to A Clash of Kings without having to start over.

Incidentally, there's a "behind the scenes" kind of video about it on HBO's website, and one of the producers (I think) says he thinks it about "the misuse and abuse of power and what happens when people end up with power they're not fit to wield." Does anyone have thoughts on the matter? (Fair warning... the video contains spoilers, and probably some NSFW stuff.)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Books & Videos”