What are you currently reading?

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

fickman
Posts in topic: 8

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by fickman »

WildBill wrote:I finished the book and highly recommend it. It is really quite an interesting story.

It was amazing how Clarence Thomas was attacked by the liberals because he didn't think the same way as they expected all black people to think. :banghead:

My favorite line from the book is a quote from Clarence Thomas' grandfather:

"Hard times make monkey eat cayenne pepper" :mrgreen:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully some others will be curious enough to pick it up.

I admire how open he was about drinking, his failure as a husband, and about how he turned away from his faith for so long and was brought back.

One of my favorite takeaways was the theme of rattlesnakes and water moccasins when comparing overtly racist Southerners with the liberal establishment that seeks to build their careers off of the blind loyalty of black voters.

Another takeaway was his grandfather's refusal to accept government handouts because you are "inviting them into your home".

Good read.

(My Grandfather's Son: The Memoirs of Clarence Thomas)
Native Texian

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

"The Moon is Down" by Steinbeck.

Awesome...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Scott B. »

I was really irked to learn that his 'Travels With Charlie' was almost entirely fictional. Read it when I was younger and wanted to re-read it...never google your memories.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bitter Clinger wrote:"The Moon is Down" by Steinbeck.

Awesome...
My dad knew Steinbeck personally.

I am currently reading "The Forgotten 500: The Untold Story of the Men Who Risked All for the Greatest Rescue Mission of World War II".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Currently re-reading "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. It's still available in book form on Amazon; and I found an ebook .pdf version when I was using Google to look for something else.......... :roll:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Currently re-reading "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. It's still available in book form on Amazon; and I found an ebook .pdf version when I was using Google to look for something else.......... :roll:
OK, you just messed me up big time. I found the e-book this morning, downloaded it, and started reading it. Now I can't stop.........and I'm supposed to be getting ready for a trip to ETTS to shoot the 1,000 yard line later this morning. And I've got to finish my preparing my tax filing.....and about a million other things. Dang your eyes! :lol:

Here's the LINKEY.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Bitter Clinger »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Currently re-reading "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. It's still available in book form on Amazon; and I found an ebook .pdf version when I was using Google to look for something else.......... :roll:
OK, you just messed me up big time. I found the e-book this morning, downloaded it, and started reading it. Now I can't stop.........and I'm supposed to be getting ready for a trip to ETTS to shoot the 1,000 yard line later this morning. And I've got to finish my preparing my tax filing.....and about a million other things. Dang your eyes! :lol:

Here's the LINKEY.
Thanks for the link! You may wish to look at "Children of Paradise: The struggle for the Soul of Iran". I have it queued up for as soon as I finish "Unintended Consequences"...
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Just finished going through the Texas Monthly'Guns Issue' (April 2016). An interesting mix of articles and tidbits. For instance, on page 85 there is a map of Texas counties that charts Percentage of People Over 21 With a (sic) CHL. Fisher county came in 1st at 48%. McMullen county came in 2nd at 32%. I had to wikipedia both of them. Maybe I'll move to one of them when I retire. The graphic is titled "The Worst Places In Texas To Rob a Gas Station". Some of the articles were historically informative. Some were predictably disappointing. :roll: TM was smart enough to interview Dr. Suzanna G. Hupp. Some of the articles are available on the texasmonthly.com website. Page thru the magazine at your local library or in the checkout line at the store before plunking down $5.95 :txflag:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

This week I have been digesting Joseph Ellis' "The Quartet". It is a great read (actually, I'm listening to the audiobook version).

This is from the Preface: “Four men made the ­transition from confederation to nation ­happen. . . . George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay and James Madison” (along with three supporting players: Robert Morris, Gouverneur Morris and Thomas Jefferson). He writes that “this political quartet diagnosed the systemic dysfunctions under the Articles, manipulated the political process to force a calling of the Constitutional Convention, collaborated to set the agenda in Philadelphia, attempted somewhat successfully to orchestrate the debates in the state ratifying conventions, then drafted the Bill of Rights as an insurance policy to ensure state compliance with the constitutional settlement. If I am right, this was arguably the most creative and consequential act of political leadership in American history.”
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Abraham »

"The Lower River" by Paul Theroux.

I've read all but one of his books.

His fiction is superb and his travelogue's wonderful for their anthropological insight.

aggie67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by aggie67 »

You guys made me go back and re-read "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. I had it on my I pad and since I cut my big toe open and had to stay close to the barn today, I read it again. Still worth my time. I am collecting several WWI histories, some already read, to keep up with grandson who is covering WWI for Texas UIL History competition. I have to keep up with the 17 year olds.
Keep on readin' on.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 4

Post by JALLEN »

Since the last report, I have read the 8 or 9 volume biography of Winston Churchill, by his son and Martin Gilbert, which was available for nothing or next to nothing at Hillsdale College Bookstore, for Kindle.

I have just finished re-reading "Coolidge" by Amity Schlaes. I read this book when it first came out, then last year went to Plymouth Notch, VT to inspect Coolidge's boyhood home and farm, and where he got word of Harding's death and became President. I think I have become a Coolidgean, the President I most admire.

I've also read a good part of "Three Roads to the Alamo," concurent biographies of Travis, Bowie and Crockett.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Abraham »

Just finished: "Clinton Cash": The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and Businesses Helped Make Bill and Hillary Rich by Peter Schweizer.

Wow!

I know the Clintons are an evil, evil force, but this book provides specifics that are spectacular.

Plus, I'm currently reading: "Please Stop Helping Us" by Jason L. Riley.

A brilliant conservative who happens to be black.

Return to “Books & Videos”