What are you currently reading?

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

fickman wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: I had the good fortune to read "The Martian" before the movie came out, and boy am I glad I did. I loved the movie. I am going to buy the DVD of it. But as good as the movie was, the book is MUCH better.
I haven't seen the movie yet and got the same recommendation from another friend. Looking forward to it.
What's too bad for you is that it is no longer in theaters. I saw in 3D at Tinseltown in Grapevine, on their big screen. It will still be a very good movie either way, but the panoramic views of the martian surface in 3D were simply stunning........so real that the suspension of disbelief required no will.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ttownsig
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ttownsig »

Now reading The Rogue Lawyer by Grissham

Abraham
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Abraham »

"The Tin Drum" by Gunther Grass.

zimmerdesignz
Posts in topic: 1

Post by zimmerdesignz »

Any suggestions for books that are available on AMAZON UNLIMITED
:tiphat:

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by K.Mooneyham »

"FW 190 Defense of the Reich Aces", Osprey Press. Recently finished "Aces of the 78th Fighter Group", Osprey Press.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

13 Hours: An inside account of what really happened in Bengazi. Want to finish the book before I see the movie.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Rhino1 wrote:13 Hours: An inside account of what really happened in Bengazi. Want to finish the book before I see the movie.
Two of the men killed at Benghazi were friends of retired SEAL Brandon Webb. He has coauthored a book about it under the Sofrep banner called "Benghazi: The Definitive Report". I had started the book a while back, but I got sidetracked onto other things. I'll have to go back and finish it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JTYPN6Y
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by VMI77 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Rhino1 wrote:13 Hours: An inside account of what really happened in Bengazi. Want to finish the book before I see the movie.
Two of the men killed at Benghazi were friends of retired SEAL Brandon Webb. He has coauthored a book about it under the Sofrep banner called "Benghazi: The Definitive Report". I had started the book a while back, but I got sidetracked onto other things. I'll have to go back and finish it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JTYPN6Y
I recently read "The Red Circle" by Brandon Webb. SF's are a small community....he was also friends with the guys killed in Afghanistan as described in "Lone Survivor." He new a lot of the guys from being a sniper school instructor.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

+1 on books by Brandon Webb. I particularly liked Red Circle.

I'm currently hooked on fictions by Bernard Cromwell. The Sharpe's series of historically based fictions are very entertaining. If you liked the CS Lewis Hornblower series of books, you will enjoy Cromwell's Sharpe's books. Its a fun way to learn the history of the Napoleonic wars.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Freeman by Leonard Litts, Jr.

On Killing by LTC Dave Grossman (retired).
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Before you "buy" a book first look at your local library for it either for a paper copy or it may possibly be downloaded to an Ebook device like Kindle or Nook (something I do all the time) or if you must actually have a book because you're a collector, check out Abe Books.

Many times, they have used hard cover books in great condition for $3.00 or so and no shipping charges.

Why pay full retail?

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Abraham wrote:Before you "buy" a book first look at your local library for it either for a paper copy or it may possibly be downloaded to an Ebook device like Kindle or Nook (something I do all the time) or if you must actually have a book because you're a collector, check out Abe Books.

Many times, they have used hard cover books in great condition for $3.00 or so and no shipping charges.

Why pay full retail?
Because when I buy a book it is usually one I want autographed by the author. These I usually buy from the author in person.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I am currently reading "12 Ordinary Men" and "1984" . About to start "Knowing God" by J. I. Packed.

I have about 30 others that I look forward to getting to.

I also use an app called Overdrive to borrow books from our library.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

oljames3,

Ah, ok, didn't mean to annoy anyone.

Return to “Books & Videos”