Left Of Bang

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
AndyC

Left Of Bang

Postby AndyC » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:51 am

Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life - Patrick Van Horne and Jason Riley

* You walk into a restaurant and get an immediate sense that you should leave.
    * You are about to step onto an elevator with a stranger and something stops you.
    * You interview a potential new employee who has the resume to do the job, but something tells you not to offer a position.

These scenarios all represent Left of Bang, the moments before something bad happens. But how many times have you talked yourself out of leaving the restaurant, getting off the elevator, or getting over your silly “gut” feeling about someone? Is there a way to not just listen to your inner protector more, but to actually increase your sensitivity to threats before they happen?

Legendary Marine General James Mattis asked the same question and issued a directive to operationalize the Marine Corps’ Combat Hunter program. A comprehensive and no-nonsense approach to heightening each and every one of our gifts of fear, Left of Bang is the result.

"Left of bang" is the term for the stage before the "bang" itself on a timeline of events, and the book teaches the methodology of getting ahead of the curve. Originally designed for counter-terrorism, it's very useful indeed for we folks to be able to identify the predators around us before they strike. Highly recommended.

(the link I posted will take you to smile.amazon.com - any purchase will help support the NRA's Civil Rights Defense Fund)
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

mojo84

Re: Left Of Bang

Postby mojo84 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Here's an interview with the author I posted a while back. Interesting

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=74745&p=941538&hilit=left+of+bang#p941538

TexasVet

Postby TexasVet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:51 pm

Looks interesting. I have a stack of books that are on my reading list.
It would be great if we had a library of books that people can borrow from to keep it affordable - I have a stack of books I would be happy to add to such a collection. Or if someone has this book and wants to swap I can send a list of books I have that I am done with.

dcphoto

Postby dcphoto » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:09 pm

It sounds a lot like The Gift of Fear. I'll add it to my list.

Topic author
AndyC

Postby AndyC » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:30 pm

mojo84 wrote:Here's an interview with the author I posted a while back. Interesting

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=74745&p=941538&hilit=left+of+bang#p941538

Awesome - I'll give that a listen soon :cheers2:
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Actually sitting on my nightstand right this instant, where I am about 80% through it. I agree with your recommendation!

:cheers2: :cheers2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?

VMI77

Postby VMI77 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:49 am

Ordered. Thanks.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topbuilder

Postby Topbuilder » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Can't do it.
I stripped perfectly good fletching (left twist) off my arrows and refletched them 'right', I'm sure not buying a book called "Left of Bang". ;-)
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:21 am

Topbuilder wrote:Can't do it.
I stripped perfectly good fletching (left twist) off my arrows and refletched them 'right', I'm sure not buying a book called "Left of Bang". ;-)

Thank goodness we are still a mostly free country, so if you would rather live "Right of Bang", have at it. ;-)
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?

Return to “Books & Videos”