A few new reads

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: A few new reads

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just got the Close Quarters Battle book a couple of days ago, but haven't stated it. (I also got their coffee mug while I was at it.) I just finished reading "One Year After" the other day. I haven't seen the other two books before.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote:Single Person CQB is a great primer, albeit in a thin volume, for someone who doesn't know how to clear hallways, doorways and rooms safely (well, as safely it's possible to do alone). Well-illustrated and worth it.
Just order it... looks like an interesting read for me. Thanks for the heads up on it.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

AndyC wrote:… I liked One Second After, a tale of how America turns to crap after an EMP attack. Not that I liked the the writing in the first one, but rather the premise and how workarounds were created to solve problems without power.

Slightly off-topic — I had a somewhat elderly uncle (now deceased) who lived near Port Arthur (upper Texas coast) and refused to evacuate when Hurricane Rita came through several years ago. My brother took my mother and left. A week later, they were allowed to go back into the area for four hours (Highway Patrol took brother's wife's DL and said "Be back in four hours 'cuz I go off shift then and I'm taking this with me!"). They went to mom's place and theirs, throwing away perishable items from refrigerators like milk (it eventually explodes and then the fridge is pretty nasty), and lastly went by to check on the uncle. Power was still off, and they found him sitting in his truck listening to the radio. They asked how he'd been surviving, and he said he'd been living off of hot dogs (so many preservatives they never go bad?) and drinking water from his hot water heater.

When I was in grade school, we were taught some of the basics of disaster preparedness. It's part of living in a coastal region. We learned that we could drink water from the toilet tank, but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning the hot water heater.

My brother's wife asked the uncle if things had "gotten scary" when the hurricane went through. He replied "Well, when the ceiling in the living room started coming down and the front porch blew away, I got a little nervous."
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

der Teufel wrote: My brother's wife asked the uncle if things had "gotten scary" when the hurricane went through. He replied "Well, when the ceiling in the living room started coming down and the front porch blew away, I got a little nervous."
I know a few older men who are just like this. Either nerves of steel or too darn stubborn. Maybe both.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Javier730 wrote:
der Teufel wrote: My brother's wife asked the uncle if things had "gotten scary" when the hurricane went through. He replied "Well, when the ceiling in the living room started coming down and the front porch blew away, I got a little nervous."
I know a few older men who are just like this. Either nerves of steel or too darn stubborn. Maybe both.
If they saw combat in WW2 and experienced any arty barrages, they probably aren't too frightened by a "lil' ol' storm". :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Books & Videos”