Wonderful WWII Brit Commando Documentary on Netflix

This section is for recommendations, reviews & questions.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

Topic author
Outnumbered

Wonderful WWII Brit Commando Documentary on Netflix

Postby Outnumbered » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:31 pm

I just watched the first episode of a 4 episode documentary called "Behind Enemy Lines." It's a documentary on the British commandos of WWII. The men who participated tell their stories and even demonstrate some of their training, although they are near 80 years old. Very interesting and touching. The end made me a little sniffly. Highly recommend.

Apparently there are several movies/shows that have the same or partially the same title, but a search on netflix only brings up two. It's the one on the left.

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=behind%20enemy%20lines

AndyC

Re: Wonderful WWII Brit Commando Documentary on Netflix

Postby AndyC » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 pm

It's even more interesting when one discovers that all British Royal Marines undergo that same training - and are held to the same standards as those WWII commandos (and it's 32 weeks long). In fact, it's a quite touching tradition for old Royal Marine commandos to monitor the course (to satisfy themselves that the standards are as tough as ever) and be present at the finish line for the last of the Commando Tests (completing a 30-mile speed-march wearing 40 lbs and their rifle in 8 hours).

I had to comment on this, being fond of the ex-Royals I worked with in Iraq; very switched-on boys. Instead of being equivalent to regular US Marines, I'd set them far closer to US Marine Recon (and indeed equivalent to Recon once certain specialized courses eg. scuba, freefall, sniping, etc had been completed).
Remember Kitty Genovese

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

Return to “Books & Videos”