Pistol/revolver rack for gun safe

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Pistol/revolver rack for gun safe

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I use "traditional" pistol racks in my gun safe for my automatics. This is the type of rack that has the pistol stored in the muzzle-up position. This doesn't work very well for revolvers, because of the varying length from the top strap to the bottom of the grip. I've used various type of racks for revolvers, but I never was very happy. I decided to try pegboard and dowel rods and that has worked very well.

I used the heavier pegboard; i.e. 1/4" thickness and 1/4" holes. I cut the pegboard to go across the full width of the safe. I then screwed an "L" bracket on either end of the pegboard to hold it upright until I got the revolvers on it. I then cut 1/4" dowel rods for each revolver so that the dowel rod would go about 2" to 3" into the barrel, except for the "snubs" that got 1 1/2" dowels.

This seems to be the best rack/system I've tried. It's easy to set the height of the dowel rod to fit each individual revolver, simply by sticking it in a higher or lower hole. It's equally easy to set the gap between guns. You can also put shorter revolvers in front of longer ones, such as storing a 2" S&W under and in front of a 6" Model 29. Essentially, you're using the same square footage twice. (I know, there three autos in the rack. :lol: )

It's cheap, easy, flexible and the dowel rods have no chance of harming the barrel.

Chas.
Attachments
IMG_0771 (Medium).JPG

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pistol/revolver rack for gun safe

Post by AEA »

Looks good! :thumbs2:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5111 »

Nice idea. I've often wondered how I should store my pistols if I ever put them in a safe.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

Is that a Glock subcompact snuggling up to a 1911 in the corner? :shock: Oh the horror!

Nice rack idea though. I may give that a try.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Them easy ideas work sometimes. Nice! :thumbs2:

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Thanks for sharing. I have been trying to find a solution to my storage problem and that one looks like it will work pretty well.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

HighVelocity wrote:Is that a Glock subcompact snuggling up to a 1911 in the corner? :shock: Oh the horror!
Yes it is. :oops: But, it's Martha's, so it's not my fault. Actually, there are three more in there, but not subcompacts.

Chas.

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I am looking at that wondering how well a little shelf underneath for magazine storage might work, since you you have some extra space at the top that way. As long as you aren't storing DE's, it might do
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

gmckinl

Post by gmckinl »

HighVelocity wrote:Is that a Glock subcompact snuggling up to a 1911 in the corner? :shock: Oh the horror!
Maybe he's trying to get them to birth a Wilson KZ-45 Compact? "rlol"
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

One of the small dealers at Houston gun shows had his wares on a peg board very similar to that. Believe I've seen him both at the GRB and the Reliant.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

ScubaSigGuy wrote:I am looking at that wondering how well a little shelf underneath for magazine storage might work, since you you have some extra space at the top that way. As long as you aren't storing DE's, it might do
That's a good idea, except I think I'll put it at the top. I can get two more shelf clips like the ones used for the shelves and put a short one above the pegboard. It could lay on top of the pegboard and I can secure the shelf to it with a short "L" bracket.

Thanks,
Chas.

shipwreck

Post by shipwreck »

Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5111 »

I like both of those too!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Yes it is. :oops: But, it's Martha's, so it's not my fault. Actually, there are three more in there, but not subcompacts.

Chas.
Hey, go easy on Charles. Everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet. He just happens to have four and they are in a safe versus a closet. :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

It is nice to get an inside look at what Chas puts in the hands of his wife to protect her life :biggrinjester:

FWIW- Kimberly carries a Sig! :patriot:

That is an excellent idea for the pistol rack....I am going to use it to solve my space problem.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “"How To" Tips”