Keeping 1911 grip bushings in the gun when changing grips

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Keeping 1911 grip bushings in the gun when changing grips

Post by AEA »

This is for those that like to change grips on 1911's and also for those that may have a grip screw come loose while shooting.

If you have several 1911's and like to change the appearance of them, then you no doubt have taken grips off only to find the Grip Screw Bushing still on the screw on the backside of the grip.

You also know that by the time you get some pliers and try to hold the bushing while turning the screw, you most always end up ruining the bushing threads at the least or completely deforming the bushing at the worst.

I have found that the best fix for this is to install NEW Bushings and use only a very small amount of RED Loctite on the Bushings. This will stop them from being brought out with the screw. I have also found that to eliminate any loose screws that you put a small bit of BLUE Loctite on the screws.

The BLUE Locktite on the screws will release when you want to change the grips but will stay strong enough to eliminate the screws backing out from shooting. The RED Loctite on the Grip Screw Bushings will keep them in the gun until you are ready to remove them purposely.

Happy Shooting! :thewave :fire :fire :fire

Edited to correct colors of text.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Mike1951

Re: Keeping 1911 grip bushings in the gun when changing grips

Post by Mike1951 »

Yep.

After having bushings come out that had already been reinstalled with blue, a small dose of red has kept them in place.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

matrxx

Post by matrxx »

I just try to learn here.
I've been shooting a lot on 1911.I happened to me once while I disassembly one of my Colt. I think the grip screw bushing is a little bit off size.I use poly-teflon tape to recover the "gap",no mess.

Red and Blue Loctite work ,too.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

GREEN Loctite can be applied after the threads are made up. It penetrates the threads and holds very well. Whatever you do DO NOT use BLACK Loctite unless you don't ever want the parts to come apart. :shock:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

texasag93

Post by texasag93 »

Allen,

You have more than one 1911? :biggrinjester:
texasag93

Return to “"How To" Tips”