Stretching leather holsters

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stretching leather holsters

Post by Mike1951 »

I don't disagree with HV's use of Armorall.

But if you buy a premium holster, be aware that some makers will react strongly if you suggest putting anything on their holsters.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

I have noticed that some people want to "break in" their holsters by bending and kneading them until they are soft and pliable. For premium holsters, as Mike1951 calls them, I believe that this defeats the whole purpose of molding and boning a holster to the exact shape of the gun.

It seems to work for HV, but the manufacturer of ArmorAll doesn't recommend using it on leather products. Maybe he should repackage it and sell it on-line as "Holster Slick." :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

thankGod
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thankGod »

FWIW,

I put my Don Hume in a sink of warm water for about 30-45 seconds. Put the gun in a ziplock freezer bag, shoved the gun and bag into the holster, and kneaded around the slide and trigger guard for about half and hour. Set it aside for about a day and a half, and voila! Perfect fit.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA
"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong." 1Cor16:13

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Other uses for armorall,

Cleaning the inside of kydex holsters and mag pouches. (be careful the first time you draw as the holster is going to be a lot faster than it was before the armorall treatment)

Apply to outside of glock mags and inside of glock magwells for much faster loading AND unloading.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

thankGod wrote:FWIW,
I put my Don Hume in a sink of warm water for about 30-45 seconds. Put the gun in a ziplock freezer bag, shoved the gun and bag into the holster, and kneaded around the slide and trigger guard for about half and hour. Set it aside for about a day and a half, and voila! Perfect fit.
I don't think that Don Hume holsters are unique for one particular model of gun, so this technique may give you a more custom fit.
NRA Endowment Member

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

HighVelocity wrote:Other uses for armorall,

Cleaning the inside of kydex holsters and mag pouches. (be careful the first time you draw as the holster is going to be a lot faster than it was before the armorall treatment)

Apply to outside of glock mags and inside of glock magwells for much faster loading AND unloading.
Remember, this is not like dressing your tires for a Saturday night out on the town :biggrinjester: Less really is more.

I like it to clean my holsters much more than on my mags. Also be careful to keep it off of the mag base.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

bryang

Post by bryang »

bryang wrote:Hey, thanks...ya'll. I have a new MS Summer Special and the first time I put my Colt OM .45 in it I didn't think I was going to be able to get it out! Thanks for all the advice. I will give it a try.
Just wanted to let you all know that I did try it and....it works!! I put my .45 in a plastic bag and left it over night and now it works great.

Thanks,
-geo
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

Return to “"How To" Tips”