Stretching leather holsters

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Hyunchback
Posts in topic: 2

Stretching leather holsters

Post by Hyunchback »

This is probably old hat to everyone but it was news to me when I first learned it. It may help someone else.

Sometimes when you buy a new leather holster the fit is just too tight. Just getting the gun to rest as deep as it is intended is difficult. Drawing is an exercise in futility. Kydex doesn't usually face this problem.

The solution is often enclosed with the holster. Many come in those extra-thick plastic bags. Taking the UNLOADED gun and putting it inside the bag and then pushing the gun deep into the leather holster you can let it sit that way over night in a safe place or maybe two. When you come back remove the bag and it's like magic.

The leather is now more loose but still snug enough for a bit of friction to use as retention. The leather stretches that final micrometer or two and gives you a fit that the handgun will snuggle into like spouse on a cold night. It's also easer to draw from.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stretching leather holsters

Post by AEA »

Yup! :iagree:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

barres

Post by barres »

For some holsters, this must be done while wearing the holster. This is because some holsters' geometry is changed by threading a belt through the slots/loops/whatever and cinching it down, making the holster fit the gun tighter.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Topic author
Hyunchback

Post by Hyunchback »

Good point!
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

I will try it out while wearing one of my tight holsters. I have a regular Summer Special Milt Sparks for the Glock 17/22. It is a great hoster, but VERY tight. I am scared to send it back to them......it took four months to get it!

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jbirds1210 wrote:I will try it out while wearing one of my tight holsters. I have a regular Summer Special Milt Sparks for the Glock 17/22. It is a great hoster, but VERY tight. I am scared to send it back to them......it took four months to get it!

Jason
I've had to do just that with a Summer Special. Of course, it only took 30 minutes because it is for a beautifully designed, sleek, slim and trim 1911. :lol:

BTW, the Summer Special isn't one of the holsters that stretch better if they are worn. As barres said, that really applies to belt holsters, especially pancake style holsters.

Chas.

numist

Post by numist »

Another trick to use if your holster really doesn't want to let go is to get a tub of Mink Oil.
Rub a little on all the interior and exterior surfaces of the holster. Rub it in very well. It will soften as well as waterproof your leather and wont harm your firearm. The real trick is locating a tub of mink oil.
Educate ignorance, reward excellence and severely punish stupidity.

barres

Post by barres »

The problem with Mink oil (or any leather oil for that matter) is that it can soften the leather too much and degrade the holster's retention capability. Most holster manufacturers I know of recommend against oiling their holsters.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The only holster I have had for the G23 since 1998, has been this De Santis (028 B2) IWB...

I remember that far back (yeah, I know) I had this same concern, and was told to take a tube sock, and yes, stuff the unloaded G23 in the sock all the way down to the toe, and ram all that into the holster...Overnight, and for the next few nights do the same thing...After a few days/nights of this, drawing and re-holstering the sock/gun combo seems to work just fine without to much muss and fuss...

And I guess for the last ten years or so, I have not had a problem with the rig since...Of course the sock did its job in both protecting the gun, but also stretching out the holster just enough to develop that "just snug" fit...

I have even used this De Santis holster in a couple of those IDPA matches and never had a problem...Retention is just as good today, as it was when I first purchased it...

For what its worth... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stormbringerr

Post by stormbringerr »

i wraped my gun in wax paper put in holster overnight works well
later, Stormbringerr

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
Carl Jung

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

I also use the plasic bag trick but I take it one step further. I mist the inside of the holster with amorall and work the gun (in plastic) in and out a few times and then let it sit for a few days. Then I repeat the process 1-2 more times. I end up with a very fast holster.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

HighVelocity wrote:I also use the plasic bag trick but I take it one step further. I mist the inside of the holster with amorall and work the gun (in plastic) in and out a few times and then let it sit for a few days. Then I repeat the process 1-2 more times. I end up with a very fast holster.
LOL, You have more uses for Armorall........but I must admit that everyone I have tried has worked!

I will give it a shot with my MS Summer Special and see how it turns out. Currently it is only good to pull up my pants during a draw attempt. Think Steve Urkel with a Glock :biggrinjester:

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

WDGF

Post by WDGF »

Didn't have to do this with my Summer Special (1911), but I have a Galco for NAA Guardian that was entirely too tight. I wetted the holster under warm running water, put the pistol in about three sandwich bags (very thin material) and shoved it in. Took a couple days for the holster to dry, but once it did the fit was perfect. One good zip-lock bag would probably do just as well.
WDGF
Member: NRA, TSRA, GOA & SAF

Who would you call if you were arrested at 3AM?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
--Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis", 1952

bryang

Post by bryang »

Hey, thanks...ya'll. I have a new MS Summer Special and the first time I put my Colt OM .45 in it I didn't think I was going to be able to get it out! Thanks for all the advice. I will give it a try.
"I am crucified with Christ: Nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" -Gal 2:20

NRA-TSRA-Life Member
American Legion USN-GM
"Μολών λαβέ!"

Project One Million:Texas - Get Involved - Join The NRA & TSRA -TODAY!

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

jbirds1210 wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:I also use the plasic bag trick but I take it one step further. I mist the inside of the holster with amorall and work the gun (in plastic) in and out a few times and then let it sit for a few days. Then I repeat the process 1-2 more times. I end up with a very fast holster.
LOL, You have more uses for Armorall........but I must admit that everyone I have tried has worked!

I will give it a shot with my MS Summer Special and see how it turns out. Currently it is only good to pull up my pants during a draw attempt. Think Steve Urkel with a Glock :biggrinjester:

Jason
Now I am curious to know about HV's other approved gun related uses for Amorall. :bigear: Please share.
Last edited by ScubaSigGuy on Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Return to “"How To" Tips”