FILLING IN THE ENGRAVINGS.

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

ES4Me
Posts in topic: 2

Re: FILLING IN THE ENGRAVINGS.

Post by ES4Me »

USA1 - that looks SHARP! :thumbs2:
CHL Class - 08/22/09
App Mailed to DPS - 09/16/09
Recv'd by DPS - 09/17/09
Processing App - 11/11/09
Plastic in Hand - 12/26/09

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

USA1 - Good job, now hand the crayons back to the teacher before you get any on the furniture. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, that looks neat.
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

USA1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by USA1 »

Kevinf2349 wrote:USA1 - Good job, now hand the crayons back to the teacher before you get any on the furniture. :biggrinjester:

Seriously, that looks neat.
And it still looks like that even after some range time and cleaning .
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

How much carry time has it had since you did it? That is probably where I would expect most of the wear and tear to come from...that and hot wax dripping down from the slide after a long shooting session. "rlol"
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Kevinf2349 wrote:How much carry time has it had since you did it? That is probably where I would expect most of the wear and tear to come from...that and hot wax dripping down from the slide after a long shooting session. "rlol"
Almost a month now. Shooting didn't seem to affect it . I seriously thought the recoil would knock it out but it didn't.

P.S. Don't try it with a LCP . :nono:
The lettering is not engraved, it's raised. :oops:

Sewer_Ice
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Sewer_Ice »

I melted some crayon on my xd45, usually after putting 200 rounds through it at the range, some of it melts off, easy to clean off and replace though. So far I've done Red, White, Blue, Green, and Orange. I like the white best. You can use lacquer sticks to make it more permanent. Apparently Nail polish is the same thing as lacquer sticks. Seems like nail polish is a good idea, won't cook off when shooting, and a little acetone/nail polish remover can take it out!

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jeeperbryan »

I'ved heard of people using crayons to color in their rollmarks but I wanted something that wouldn't melt off. So I picked up some vehicle touch-up paint at Walmart. Figured if touch-up paint could withstand the outdoors and direct sunlight, it would have to be better than a wax crayon. In any case, I gave it a shot and it turned out really well (pictures soon). I painted the rollmarks pretty generously with the touch-up paint, waited 30 minutes, then wiped off the excess with nail polish remove. Worked like a charm and will probably last longer than crayon.

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

jeeperbryan wrote:I'ved heard of people using crayons to color in their rollmarks but I wanted something that wouldn't melt off. So I picked up some vehicle touch-up paint at Walmart. Figured if touch-up paint could withstand the outdoors and direct sunlight, it would have to be better than a wax crayon. In any case, I gave it a shot and it turned out really well (pictures soon). I painted the rollmarks pretty generously with the touch-up paint, waited 30 minutes, then wiped off the excess with nail polish remove. Worked like a charm and will probably last longer than crayon.
Wow...great idea. I can't wait to see the pictures. Let us know how it wears over time.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

USA1

Post by USA1 »

TLynnHughes wrote:
jeeperbryan wrote:I'ved heard of people using crayons to color in their rollmarks but I wanted something that wouldn't melt off. So I picked up some vehicle touch-up paint at Walmart. Figured if touch-up paint could withstand the outdoors and direct sunlight, it would have to be better than a wax crayon. In any case, I gave it a shot and it turned out really well (pictures soon). I painted the rollmarks pretty generously with the touch-up paint, waited 30 minutes, then wiped off the excess with nail polish remove. Worked like a charm and will probably last longer than crayon.
Wow...great idea. I can't wait to see the pictures. Let us know how it wears over time.

T.
Yeah, I'd like to see pics also.
I am so impressed with how good just the crayon looks that I might try your idea next.

BTW, The crayon is still holding up well on my XD

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

Sorry, took me awhile to get a couple pictures up as I was in the middle of a build. Now that I'm finished, here are some pics of the color filled engravings I did with the Duplicolor Scratch&Fix vehicle paint:

USA1

Post by USA1 »

jeeperbryan wrote:Sorry, took me awhile to get a couple pictures up as I was in the middle of a build. Now that I'm finished, here are some pics of the color filled engravings I did with the Duplicolor Scratch&Fix vehicle paint:

Looks great !
I think I'll dig out the crayon wax and use some paint for a more permanent job.
Did you have to clean the excess off with some sort of solvent? If so, what did you use?

jeeperbryan

Post by jeeperbryan »

I used nail polish remover to get rid of the excess. Then Rem oil.

TexanAviator

Post by TexanAviator »

Lacquer Stick is nice but still has to be redone frequently. Not a big deal really if you like the look.

AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

Ok that looks great....hard to believe my sons crayons can be used for something other than the table!
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

AggieMike

Post by AggieMike »

Worked Great! Just filled in my Glock (Austria was a bit tricky to get in there), but it looks great....thanks so much for the tip!
I don't carry my 40 all the time, just when I leave my home!

Return to “"How To" Tips”