Grip Tape...

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Roshi
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Grip Tape...

Post by Roshi »

Excaliber wrote:A superior product called A-Grip is available from Brooks Tactical. It is thin, soft, extremely durable, doesn't slip when wet, doesn't conduct heat away from your hand makes recoil more manageable because the gun doesn't move in your grip. Kahr recommends it for their pistols, and it is installed on all my polymer frame guns. I've tried a lot of solutions and never found anything better.

It comes in a precut complete wraparound form for individual models of polymer framed pistols. You can also buy sheets of it to "roll your own" if you only want to treat the front strap of a gun.

Check it out at: http://www.brookstactical.com.
I really like A-Grip. Put it on my Kahr PM9. Great grip but not scratchy nor will it accidently peel off. I have a piece I'm not using. If some one wants to try it PM me with your mailing address and I'll send it to you.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I recently added a piece of skateboard tape to the front strap of my Ultra, thanks to flintknapper's suggestion, and took it to the range last Saturday. It is remarkable how it transforms my shooting. The Ultra's recoil is not bad at all, but that front strap is a bit slick, and I found myself continually having to readjust my grip because my fingers would slip a small amount with each shot. Now the pistol stays planted in my grip and doesn't move around as much. In fact, perceived recoil, which wasn't that bad to begin with, seems even less pronounced than before. Additionally, the tape isn't hard on my hand at all. I'm a believer now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Gracegarden
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Gracegarden »

I have an XD-9 that has a checkered grid on the front and back of the grip. How would I get the tape to firmly stick? Is compression enough, or will I need to manually press/crease down between each row?

(no clever signature line) :yawn

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

Gracegarden wrote:I have an XD-9 that has a checkered grid on the front and back of the grip. How would I get the tape to firmly stick? Is compression enough, or will I need to manually press/crease down between each row?

First things first... Welcome to the forum!

I used to have an XD that I shot IDPA with. I never could get grip tape (skateboard tape in my case) to stay on the back of the grip for any length of time, especially during the hot weather months.

However on the front and sides of the grip I wiped the grip area down with denatured alcohol and then applied the tape. I would last many months before needing to be replaced.

In my experience, taping the front and side of the grip helped my grip more than the tape on the back of the grip. Trying to keep tape on the backstrap was more trouble than it was worth for me.
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

Gracegarden

Post by Gracegarden »

Thank you, Kirby, I will certainly start with that!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I took sandpaper to my Ruger to get a strip to stick to the front of the grip. The P95 wasn't meant to be pretty.The trip has been there for about a year now. The main advantage of the tape for me isn't in the shooting, but in drawing out of the holster. Made a big difference [abbreviated profanity deleted] me.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man

Gracegarden wrote:I have an XD-9 that has a checkered grid on the front and back of the grip. How would I get the tape to firmly stick? Is compression enough, or will I need to manually press/crease down between each row?

I'm surprised you would need grip tape when you already have checkering on both the front and back straps. The Kimber I put tape on didn't have front strap checkering, and being a diminutive pistol in .45, it became much easier to shoot with tape on. But I also have an H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W which has molded in checkering on both the front and back straps, similar to your XD-9, and I find that no additional tape is necessary for maintaining a firm grip on the weapon.

A few days ago, I bought a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911-A1 from HighVelocity, on which he had already installed a piece of grip tape on the front strap which was different from the skateboard tape I put on my Kimber. I think I prefer this new tape. It has a somewhat "rubbery" feel, and IIRC, it is made by 3M. I'll have to check with HighVelocity again to see where he got that tape from. I've already worn a bit of a hole through the skateboard tape on my Kimber, where the pressure of my wedding ring (I'm left handed) makes contact with the tape. Oddly enough, it didn't do anything to damage a 24 carat gold ring. I've since swapped out the stock grip panels for a set of Hogue wraparound grips, which eliminated the need for tape. But I've found the Hogue grips to feel a bit too bulky in my hand, so I think I'm going to try putting the original grip panels back on, and try out a strip of this new tape like I have on my Springfield's front strap.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

HighVelocity wrote:Be careful with skateboard tape. The grit can come off and get inside your holster. This results in some serious scratches on your gun.

I use 3M safetywalk tape. It is like skate tape but it is sealed and the grit NEVER comes off.
Never mind. I guess I've just answered my own question. :oops:

#TINVOWOOT

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

http://www.instawares.com/safety-walk-s ... =MMM7634NA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Return to “"How To" Tips”