Grip Tape...

Do you have any tips to help others? Please post them here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Grip Tape...

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Ok,

A while back when I was in the market for a plain jane 1911, I had gone to a show and handled a real nice 1911, I forget the maker, but thats beside the point...

Apparently I liked the "skateboard" grip tape applied to the front part of the grip under the trigger guard and down to the lower edge of the handle...

It was a thin type of self-adhiesive tape applied to that area, and it really felt good in the hand...It had the "Steve", or "right" feel to it, and it impressed me as to the simplicity of the "tweek" to the gun...

The courseness of the tape was just right...Not too course, and not to fine...Not quite the grit level of regular sandpaper either...Just a good way to give it that much more of a good, tactile feel to the weapon while in your hand, and up on target I suppose...

I tried to find some of this stuff at the local ACE Hardware store around the corner from us, but it was just too course, and might have worked...But I figured I'll keep looking...

Any suggestions to where I might find a "Rad" skateboard shop in the Houston area, that might fill this need???

I could take the 2 .45's we have now and have the front edge "checkered", or add some sort of slip-on grip to these pistols...But I really like this idea the best...

Any ideas???
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Grip Tape...

Post by HighVelocity »

Be careful with skateboard tape. The grit can come off and get inside your holster. This results in some serious scratches on your gun.

I use 3M safetywalk tape. It is like skate tape but it is sealed and the grit NEVER comes off.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

ScubaSigGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

HighVelocity wrote:Be careful with skateboard tape. The grit can come off and get inside your holster. This results in some serious scratches on your gun.

I use 3M safetywalk tape. It is like skate tape but it is sealed and the grit NEVER comes off.

:iagree: and you can buy it at Home Depot by the roll, pre-cut in strips. The pre-cut stair tread tape just needs to be cut to the desired length and the width is already perfect for that application.

I searched everywhere for the skate board tape and it's hard to find and much more expensive when you do.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

Topic author
stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

hmmmmm, the way it was cut and mounted on this particular gun was interesting...The tape was thin, therefore it conformed and did not appear to "want" to pull away from the curved surface because of the thickness and stiffness of the paper base that the "grit" was applied to...

I know you'll probably have to clean and swab the surface with alcohol, to ensure a good application, that goes without saying, and that you might want to be careful with some of the gun cleaning solvents and other oils and protectants used in keeping the guns in service...After application...How you do that...Well...I figure this stuff comes in some good sized lots, so re-applying might be a yearly exercise...Who knows...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Stevie,

There is a company that makes them pre-cut for various firearms. I had a kit installed on an XD tactical, and it was very nice. If I remeber correctly that cost about $5 - $9 but it was on th pistol when I got it from age_ranger. The tape was very thin like you are referring too. I will see if I can find a link for it.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

Stevie,

On a quick search I wasn't able to find the link I am looking for. I did find this from a company called MagLoc " Made of ‘3M Safety – Walk #310’ rubber texture slip-resistant tape. The best material for this application." This is the tape they use to make their product for Glcok's and XD's.

These guys appear to have a large selection of this and similar tapes in realistic quantities.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you wind up using.
S.S.G.

NRA MEMBER

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've been thinking about exactly such a solution for the front strap of my Kimber Ultra, which is not checkered.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I've been thinking about exactly such a solution for the front strap of my Kimber Ultra, which is not checkered.
It is a great improvement!

It was the first thing I did to this one:

Spartans ask not how many, but where!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Trugrip is the best thing I have found for 100% grip coverage.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/

You get three sets with an order and it lasts a long time......even when abused.

I also like the rubber textured grip tape made by 3M, but it does not do as well when wet and muddy.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

RKirby

Post by RKirby »

Go to your neighborhood Academy and make a bee line to the roller skate and skate board area. You will find a package of skateboard tape - two large sheets to a package - for about $5.00 if I remember correctly.

I've been using this for a couple of years now without any problems. It sticks well to the curved surfaces of my Springfield XD's grip area and the front strap of my 1911.

One package will last you a L-O-N-G time!
"Superior firepower is an invaluable tool when entering into negotiations." - G. Patton

jpierce30

Post by jpierce30 »

I use the skateboard tape from Academy also. I have not had any issues with the tape. Even the gun solvent does not seem to affect it. Adding the tape really does enhance the feel and grip.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

ScubaSigGuy wrote:I had a kit installed on an XD tactical, and it was very nice...but it was on the pistol when I got it from age_ranger. The tape was very thin like you are referring too.
Ah hah! Finally, the truth comes out! You're the one who bought the twin to my XD9! ;-)

The customization on our XDs was done by Rich Dettelhouser at Canyon Creek Custom (http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/). First-rate gunsmith, and a stand-up guy who backs his product. I'm sure he wouldn't mind an email asking him what kind of grip application he uses and/or recommends.

Just tell him you know two guys who own his pistols...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

wbc1362

Post by wbc1362 »

I sure like the idea of grip tape for my Kimber Pro Carries vs getting front strap checkering - Kimber told me it would cost $300 plus shipping because I have an aluminum frame and it would have to be refinished (doubling the cost).

I like the idea of safety walk tape, but skate board tape is cheeper and comes in smaller quantities $6-7 vs $12. We're not talking a lot of money I know. I saw some skateboard grip tape in various colors (even clear) and one brand has it in camo style if that kind of thing is important to you. As far as skateboard shops in Houston, if you Google for that, you'll find one in Rice Village, Bellaire, 8500 block of Westheimer, etc.

I tried googling "magloc" but didn't have any luck - I'd be interested in seeing their website if anyone has a link to it.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

A superior product called A-Grip is available from Brooks Tactical. It is thin, soft, extremely durable, doesn't slip when wet, doesn't conduct heat away from your hand makes recoil more manageable because the gun doesn't move in your grip. Kahr recommends it for their pistols, and it is installed on all my polymer frame guns. I've tried a lot of solutions and never found anything better.

It comes in a precut complete wraparound form for individual models of polymer framed pistols. You can also buy sheets of it to "roll your own" if you only want to treat the front strap of a gun.

Check it out at: http://www.brookstactical.com.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I put the Acadamy skateboard tape on my Ruger P95. 2 strips one front and one back. The problem is there is a bit of curve and the tape had a tendency to peel up. A little bit of heat supplied by a halogen desk lamp warmed the tape and plastic grip and it hasn't curled up since.
I put it on to improve the grip when I have slippery sweaty hands. How ever it turns out I really like the positive grip it gives me even with dry hands. It sorta grips me back.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “"How To" Tips”